mad cow disease

J

jen

So where does the DR get its beef from? Should I not eat beef while I am there on vacation. Here in the US I have read some scary things about eating beef from cows that have this disease. Maybe it is safer to not eat it.

C

christy

Disinfecting shoes at the airport

I read that recently they have begun spraying the shoes of european passengers arriving to DR to disinfected them in efforts to keep DR free of the "Mad Cow Disease"

J

Julia

Re: Disinfecting shoes at the airport

Yes of course, they have to do this, they are doing this all around the world! I hope everything is going to be ok soon, poor european.

D

Duck

Disinfecting for Hoof & Mouth, not BSE!

BSE (Mad Cow) is spread by ingestion. The other nice thing spreading around European livestock is hoof & mouth disease, which is transmittable through the air and is very easily spread.

They however, didn't disinfect my shoes 2 weeks ago, or if they did it was not noticeable

H

Helga Fritz

re Mad Cow & Foot and Mouth!

Lets get it right first, as some of you seem to be getting them mixed up.

MAD COW (BSE) is caught by infected meat. Is is NOT an air-borne virus and you can not transmit it on your shoes or clothes! Mad Cow affects the nervous system.
Sources say it's caused by the animals (which are carnivore by nature) being fed dead ground up other animals in their daily intake of food! Who ever thought of this in the first place must have been nuts.
This also goes on in some US states I do believe!

Now FOOT & MOUTH (not hoof & mouth) is a VERY different thing. This is a highly contagious air-borne virus, which can also be carried by pigeons! This you can pass on with your clothes and shoes and possibly some food products, but I think this is less directly.
So yes this spraying at air-ports would be to try and disinfect shoes, clothes and people from countrys who are having problems with the FOOT & MOUTH out-breaks. NOT against MAD COW.
There is no need to be freaked out about it if you are sensible!