Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: What to expect

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What to expect

    My relocation from the U.S. to the DR is 2 days away. I spent hours scrolling through the forums to get insight. Also I been there plenty of times since 2008 and spent the summer of 2008 in there. As for me I'm very quiet. Most of the time people never notice me. Wherever I go I tend to mind my business and keep a small circle of friends.
    I seen dozens of posts on classism and racism. Call me naive, but I never seen it. The only thing I noticed was the Dominican vs Haitian beef. Its tough because I have a good friend that's Haitian and I always get caught in the middle when tempers flare. Just about every Dominican knew I was American and not Haitian. They all treated me well. From what I perceived as racial utopia is one of the many reasons I decided to move to Santiago. I'm not worried about classism that much. I don't want to hang around people that think they're better then others. Are there any parts you recommend me to stay away from because of perceived racism or classism? Again I never seen any racist stuff there.
    As a newcomer can I expect the locals to assist me a lot or will I be on my own? I do plan on meeting a couple of Gringos from this board also. Is it true that real estate have a gringo price and a Dominican price? Overall I think dominicans are good people, but you have blood suckers in any country.
    Also my Haitian friend said the only reason I was treated so good was because I had a Dominican girl friend and they all thought I was rich. I constantly argue with him on that one. Because Dominicans are friendly to my in the U.S. too. For some reason they are the only women that approach me.
    How will my 1st week be? I plan on getting out into the communities.

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,028
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Aqui como que hay un trasfondo racial...

    Esto sera un picho o un gancho?

    JJ

  3. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Almost everything has a Gringo price and a Dominican price. There's also an expat price if, like me, you happen to be Hispanic.

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, your life about to change..
    make sure you bring a good toyota or honda with you because everyone here tries to sell a milage rolled back p..o.s for twice what you can get it for in the U.S..
    If your in Santiago - there are some good people that can help you.
    When your car has a problem - call Zee at Autofull on the Autopista just 500 meters south of the HOMS hospital... When your car dies - you'll thank god he there for sure.
    He can help you with car issue for sure and hes a very honest.. Ask anyone on here - we all go to Zee..

  5. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mr Amare,
    You don't state what ethnic background you are but the false steps when moving to a new country are to carry your previous ideas with you, but we are all guilty of this of course.
    Whether you are white, black , yellow or blue skinned will not necessarily have an effect on how you are accepted here,but how you view your new country and inter react with its inhabitants certainly will.

    If, as you say, you are in-effacing and non confrontational, then you will have no problem fitting in I think but the phrasing of your post is a little troubling for someone who has decided to move to another country.

    What answer would you like?

  6. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post
    Mr Amare,
    You don't state what ethnic background you are but the false steps when moving to a new country are to carry your previous ideas with you, but we are all guilty of this of course.
    Whether you are white, black , yellow or blue skinned will not necessarily have an effect on how you are accepted here,but how you view your new country and inter react with its inhabitants certainly will.

    If, as you say, you are in-effacing and non confrontational, then you will have no problem fitting in I think but the phrasing of your post is a little troubling for someone who has decided to move to another country.

    What answer would you like?

    I'm not trying to be troublesome. Sorry if my post was phrased in a way that's troublesome to some. I was just curious because I read dozens of posts on this site about many topics. I don't have any pre conceived ideas. I'm going by what I read on this site and from what I heard in the streets. Again I will remind you that personally I seen none of it directed towards me. Also when someone from Haiti claim racism I think they're confusing racism with nationalism. Look at Eastern Europe. They're the same color, but they often hate the person from the neighboring country.
    As for my ethnic background I would be labeled black in the U.S. because of the 1 drop rule. In reality my family tree is a melting pot. I don't like labeling people. We're all the same, just different skin tones.

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Albers View Post
    Well, your life about to change..
    make sure you bring a good toyota or honda with you because everyone here tries to sell a milage rolled back p..o.s for twice what you can get it for in the U.S..
    If your in Santiago - there are some good people that can help you.
    When your car has a problem - call Zee at Autofull on the Autopista just 500 meters south of the HOMS hospital... When your car dies - you'll thank god he there for sure.
    He can help you with car issue for sure and hes a very honest.. Ask anyone on here - we all go to Zee..

    Also I noticed a lot of folks use natural gas there via tanks they installed in the trunk. There's a cheap honda accord model in the states that run on natural gas. Should I bring that car or a regular gasoline car?

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bachata View Post
    Aqui como que hay un trasfondo racial...

    Esto sera un picho o un gancho?

    JJ

    Just trying to see what others are talking about. Again I never had any problems personally. It might just be them. I'm more familiar with the North Coast then other parts.

  9. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Propane is easy to obtain and maybe a a better option - I dont know - just bring a reliable Honda or Toyota.... It cant be over 5 years old and you have to of own it for 2 years.. or youll pay more taxes.. other people know more about this than i do.

  10. #10
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,919
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm going by what I read on this site
    first mistake- this is not the holy bible only a few peoples opinions

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •