WOAH!! No Nonstop from MIA to POP,STI,or SDQ?

THISDRLOVE

Sep 28, 2010
Hola mi gente! Ok, Im in the middle of planning my 2nd trip to the DR when I was totally thrown back by the airline prices and the absence of non stop flights from MCO or MIA to the DR. Last year my flight cost of my trip was less than $300, this year the flights are like starting @ like $1400 and up alone with out hotel etc. Am I missing something here? Does anyone know when or why this is happening? This is really bad because now Ill probably have to stay at a lower priced resort and wont be able to get all the gifts I had planned for mi princessa! This will break her poor little heart for there were so many things that she needs me to bring. :( (joke...the truth is I probably wont come with those prices...)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Direct Flight from South Florida

Hi:

Jet Blue from Fort Lauderdale, direct to SDQ $280.80 round trip. I checked this price for the first week in March.

S

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
SPIRIT $9 Dollar Club Members: $44 R/T MCO - STI ( Plus taxes) March 5 return March 14

HB

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Were you using Expedia, Orbitz or Hotwire to search? None of those list AA flights any more. To my knowledge, AA still has quite a few flights from MIA to all Dominican destinations. The prices have gone up, but not as much as what you posted. Try aa.com.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Keep in mind; the Dominican taxes are $140.00. When you account for this many of flights are'nt bad at all .

THISDRLOVE

Sep 28, 2010
Whew! Crisis averted! Thanks for all who replied. I was using expedia and like a few of you said, no American Airline option when booking with expedia. So I guess the beat goes on after all! Hey thanks again

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
Hillbilly can you send me that info or that itinerary? I have a friend who would be traveling those days and im also going the 6th to the 14th but my flights already booked. Id really appreciate it. I dont see spirit airlines on expedia.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There are many many flights with AA nearly every week with prices at $200 plus taxes ..from MIA to SDQ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
AA can only compete with Jet Blue and Spirit because of two things: Bags and times.
To travel on Spirit you leave Santiago at 3:30 in the morning and arrive at 5:30 in FLL. You leave FLL at 11:59 p.m. (so they say) and arrive at 2:20 in the morning in STI....Not all travellers will do this. Plus they charge for bags and carry ons. No matter, they are still hundreds cheaper than AA...

HB-> cheapskate

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
I never use Expedia, Orbitz, or Priceline to look for airline tickets. You'll never see all of the available flights with those services.

I use Kayak almost exclusively now.

Vince.

THISDRLOVE

Sep 28, 2010
Oh ok cool, does kayak search for hotels too or just flights? Also does kayak list AA and spirit flights?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The last three times I flew POP-MIA-POP, I had to pay over US$800 via AA. Granted, I often only had a week or two advance booking, but still, its still price gouging and they should be charged with Racketeering, as they keep other airlines from this route to enjoy the monopoly. I hate this airline so much, I will cheer the day they go out of business. I do try to fly out of Santiago as often as I can, but last time Santiago airport charged me several thousand peso for parking as I didn't park in the unmarked long term parking lot that I didn't telepathically know about.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Oh ok cool, does kayak search for hotels too or just flights? Also does kayak list AA and spirit flights?

Kayak does flights, hotels, and I believe car rentals as well. They list just about every airline except for Southwest.

Vince.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
The last three times I flew POP-MIA-POP, I had to pay over US$800 via AA. Granted, I often only had a week or two advance booking, but still, its still price gouging and they should be charged with Racketeering, as they keep other airlines from this route to enjoy the monopoly. I hate this airline so much, I will cheer the day they go out of business. I do try to fly out of Santiago as often as I can, but last time Santiago airport charged me several thousand peso for parking as I didn't park in the unmarked long term parking lot that I didn't telepathically know about.

Well, you have to realize that anytime you buy a ticket only 1-2 weeks in advance, you're probably gonna get gouged pricewise no matter what airline you fly with. And especially with the legacy airlines like American and Delta. I believe that 21 days, or three weeks, is the latest you can wait before ticket prices will start to rise. I realize that you may not always have the privilege of such advance travel notice. But you should expect to pay the price for short notice air travel.

And it actually might be in your best interest to run down to the capital and fly out of SDQ. I just did a quick search on Kayak and came up with AA SDQ-MIA-SDQ itineraries for less than $300. Now these prices are the product of advance purchasing and favorable travel days (thurs.-tues.), but I'm always able to save $200-$300 by flying into SDQ rather than POP.

Vince.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Purchasing flights less than 30 days in advance is a gamble. If a flight is not filled, the price of the seats will go down. As the flight fills up, the prices for the remaining seats go up.

If I think I'm going to be travelling but am not totally sure, I start searching the website. American and Delta both have the possibility of seeing open seats available before purchase, so you can get an idea of what is going to take place.

Another tip: prices change depending on season and days of the week. Tuesday is sometimes cheaper, especially inside the 30-day time period.
Flying in August through mid-October is much cheaper as it is the height of hurricane season.

Another thread on here mentions that for flights originating in the DR, passengers can save money by purchasing two one-way flights rather than a round-trip ticket.

And finally, it is often cheaper to purchase directly from the airline rather than through a travel website.

Tripadvisor.com is a good website for travel questions, articles, and reviews.