child support and travel

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
If you are from the U.S and you owe back child support(arrears i think) are you able to fly internationally (assuming you already have a passport) or is it suspended because of the arrears? I have a friend who would like to visit DR but he is afraid to book travel for fear that he will be stopped at the gate. How can he find out if his passport is suspended?

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Are you kiddin me?

If you are from the U.S and you owe back child support(arrears i think) are you able to fly internationally (assuming you already have a passport) or is it suspended because of the arrears? I have a friend who would like to visit DR but he is afraid to book travel for fear that he will be stopped at the gate. How can he find out if his passport is suspended?

Comon there Jetblue, you can't be THAT DUMB asking a question like that?

That would NOT be a cool thing to do. NO CHILD SUPPORT, and your buddy wants to go to the DR...

That is just a low scumbag thing to do, I don't care what the circumstances are. When your messin with a childs welfare or future, unbelievable.....

Dad's in the DR livin large on VACA....child is being neglected.

Nice

How low can you go?

Last edited:

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
If you're in arrearage over $5,000, they can stop you from getting a passport or having it renewed. There isn't a way to stop travel due to arrearages.
(Priority is on terrorism--all the deadbeats would clog the system.)

Thanks, men for weighing in and telling him to "man up".

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you're in arrearage over $5,000, they can stop you from getting a passport or having it renewed. There isn't a way to stop travel due to arrearages.
(Priority is on terrorism--all the deadbeats would clog the system.)

Thanks, men for weighing in and telling him to "man up".

While I'm in general agreement on the sentiment expressed here I have a life long friend who separated from his wife. He paid her $600 per month for one child as per court agreement. He faithfully wrote her a cheque each month. His wife went to welfare claiming she was getting nothing from him, while at the same time denying him visitation. He got his wages and his income tax return guaransheed. Off to court he went with his cancelled cheques. Even though the judge agreed he shouldn't have got money taken away from him, he didn't get any back and she was not punished for lying or not giving him access as per agreement. The court system often forgets the father is more than just a meal ticket and doesn't care whether he gets to see his children, as long as he keeps sending the money. There are plenty of deadbeat dads out there, but there are also plenty that are abused by the system. End of Rant.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
hey all thanks for the input. As far as the judgement goes i think you guys need to find out more about the persons situation before you start bashing and making ill gotten judgements. My friend isnt a bastard first off and he stills sees his son regularly and before his B*** babys mother took him to family court his son was being taken care of by BOTH parents. Its not like he got some chick knocked up and didnt give a S*** about the kid or mother.

In NY (and probably all of U.S) family court judges usually side with the mother in child support cases bcause there are MANY dead-beat Dads out there who dont give a S***, hell i know guys who wont work just so they have no income to pay child support to the kid/mom and thats just wrong, and although i believe as a MAN you should "Man-up" and take responsiblilty for your actions, thats just not the case with my friend. Hell, alot of women of the "working sort" in DR are single moms who got knocked-up by dead beats and just left, abandoning their fatherly duties. I personally believe she took him to court because she was jealous that he attracts alot of women( its been known to happen, woman can be VERY spiteful) but i Digress.....

although i am not sure of why my friend owes arrears on a child that has been taken care of by both parents for roughly 10 years, i do appreciate the input guys. does he have to contact a state agency to find out if his passport is flagged? He is currently paying arrears and the regular support as well.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
hey all thanks for the input. As far as the judgement goes i think you guys need to find out more about the persons situation before you start bashing and making ill gotten judgements. My friend isnt a bastard first off and he stills sees his son regularly and before his B*** babys mother took him to family court his son was being taken care of by BOTH parents. Its not like he got some chick knocked up and didnt give a S*** about the kid or mother.

In NY (and probably all of U.S) family court judges usually side with the mother in child support cases bcause there are MANY dead-beat Dads out there who dont give a S***, hell i know guys who wont work just so they have no income to pay child support to the kid/mom and thats just wrong, and although i believe as a MAN you should "Man-up" and take responsiblilty for your actions, thats just not the case with my friend. Hell, alot of women of the "working sort" in DR are single moms who got knocked-up by dead beats and just left, abandoning their fatherly duties. I personally believe she took him to court because she was jealous that he attracts alot of women( its been known to happen, woman can be VERY spiteful) but i Digress.....

although i am not sure of why my friend owes arrears on a child that has been taken care of by both parents for roughly 10 years, i do appreciate the input guys. does he have to contact a state agency to find out if his passport is flagged? He is currently paying arrears and the regular support as well.

Child Support Payments and Getting a U.S. Passport

IMPORTANT NOTES:

Passport Services has no information concerning individuals' child support obligations and has no authority to take action until HHS removes your name from its list.
All of the above information is detailed in Section 51.70 (a) (8) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations

He'll be find, nothing on the State Department website says that they flagged his passport after it had been renewed.

Good website:

Passport Revocation

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think it depends upon the State involved. My daughter is a NJ Child Support Probation Officer, and the rules vary dramatically from other states. I know my sister-in-law's [Dominican] husband owed a bunch of child support to his first wife in NY [he lives in PA], and his passport was revoked plus wages garnished. He hasn't been to DR in over a decade. He's now divorced again, bet he doesn't pay her anything either....

AE

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
thanks

hey gang thanks alot for your x-pertise!

Ive been looking online as well for help regarding this issue, but one thing i noticed is that most of the websites offer information about GETTING a passport, and not many offer info on what to do if u already currently HAVE a valid U.S passport or on how to find out if it has been revoked or not.

ezequiel and alterego, should i contact the department of health and human services?

Its wield that my friend doesnt even know if his liscense and/or passport has been revoked. Wouldnt it have been stated in court or at least in the court order?

THANX GUYS/GALS

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

Ive been looking online as well for help regarding this issue, but one thing i noticed is that most of the websites offer information about GETTING a passport, and not many offer info on what to do if u already currently HAVE a valid U.S passport or on how to find out if it has been revoked or not.

ezequiel and alterego, should i contact the department of health and human services?

Its wield that my friend doesnt even know if his liscense and/or passport has been revoked. Wouldnt it have been stated in court or at least in the court order?

THANX GUYS/GALS

I don't think that the airlines know if the passport has been revoked or not! The only thing that will stop him from traveling if he already has a passport is if he is in the No-Fly list. And to be on that list he will have to be a terrorist suspect or have the name of a terrorist suspect.

Keep in mind that many parents take their kids out of the U.S.A, even when the other parent has gained custody if a passport had been previously issued to the kids.

ratbastard

May 15, 2010
I'm not so sure he'll be safe!

THANX GUYS/GALS

Thought I recalled reading something in the newspaper recently about something like this. I googled and found this:

Paul Hillier - Deadbeat Dad Nabbed In NYC, Pays Up $90,000 Owed His Kids To Avoid Jail

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:01:54 -0700 (PDT)
Authorities grab famous choral director in New York area on Oregon
child-support warrant
Published: Friday, August 13, 2010, 8:14 PM Updated: Friday,
August 13, 2010, 11:15 PM
Maxine Bernstein, The Oregonian Maxine Bernstein, The Oregonian

A renowned choral master who has performed all over the world was
arrested as soon as he stepped off the plane at Newark International
Airport this week, nabbed on an Oregon warrant for criminal nonpayment
of child support.

Paul Hillier had flown from his home in Denmark with his vocal
ensemble to the United States for a scheduled performance Friday night
at Lincoln Center's Mostly Mozart Festival.

Instead of being whisked to a hotel to relax and prepare, however,
Hillier was hauled off to Es*** County Jail in New Jersey Wednesday.

Accused of ducking his responsibility for more than four years,
Hillier suddenly had the approximately $90,000 in back child support
wired overnight to an account in the Multnomah County's Support
Enforcement Division.

"He's been fairly cooperative," said Multnomah County deputy district
attorney Jennifer James, "once we got his attention."

Hillier faced a nationwide arrest warrant, accusing him of four counts
of the felony charge criminal nonsupport for not making court-ordered
payments for his two daughters living in Oregon.

"It's certainly one of the most stringent remedies we will exercise to
seek enforcement of support orders," said Bette Yada, supervising
attorney for the Multnomah County District Attorney's Support
Enforcement Division.

Hillier could not be reached Friday. He did not respond to e-mail
messages.

Hillier, whose devotion to choral music has made his choir a standard
at world music festivals, had not been in the United States for four
years. This created a dilemma for Oregon authorities, because Denmark
does not recognize Oregon's child support enforcement orders, like
other countries do.

So Multnomah County prosecutors kept tabs on Hillier's professional
Web page where they learned of Friday's performance in New York,
calling it a "rare United States visit for him" in a court affidavit.

The 61-year-old conducts one of Scandinavia's leading vocal groups,
Ars Nova Copenhagen,and they were set to take the stage in Lincoln
Center's Alice Tully Hall at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

On August 5, a Multnomah County grand jury indicted Hillier on the
felony charges, and a nationwide warrant was issued for his arrest.
Prosecutors also faxed an affidavit to New Jersey authorities, pushing
to increase Hillier's bail to $1 million once he was detained.

The affidavit said Hillier's past behavior showed a "disregard for
court orders and the financial well-being of his family."

"It was part of the leverage, to get him to pay," said District
Attorney Michael Schrunk. "He was held until he paid up. It's a good
piece of collection work."

Hillier got to the pre-booking process at Es*** County jail, but
avoided being placed in lockup, jail authorities said.

According to court documents, Hillier had been ordered to pay $1,750 a
month in child support, which increased to $2,000 a month as of
January 2005 to his ex-wife, for their daughters, now ages 24 and 19.
The couple divorced in Indiana in February 2002, and the children and
their mother moved to Oregon.

Hillier, from Dorset, England, had been director of the Early Music
Institute at Indiana University. He went on to become chief conductor
of the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir and his own ensemble
Theatre of Voices between 2001 and 2007, and since 2003, has been
Chief Conductor of Ars Nova Copenhagen, which features Renaissance
choral and contemporary vocal music.

Under Oregon law, child support extends for children who are 18 to 21
years of age if they are attending school. His 19-year-old daughter, a
Wilson High graduate, is attending Portland State University. His 24-
year-old daughter is a Reed College graduate.

In September 2002, Hillier's ex-wife in court papers described Hillier
as "completely absent" from their children's lives and sought to
obtain full custody. As a professional musician, Hillier was traveling
constantly, and not providing his ex-wife updated information on his
itineraries, the court papers said. In 2002, he was serving as a
musical conductor in Estonia, with a girlfriend in Copenhagen,
Denmark, court records said.

According to a court affidavit filed this month, Hillier had written
letters to his ex-wife and daughters, indicating that he would provide
support only if his children asked.

"When they have asked, he has refused to provide payments," the
affidavit says. His ex-wife and daughters declined comment through the
prosecutor's office.

Hillier, the affidavit says, has remarried, and has a younger child in
Denmark.

"Defendant is aware that a portion of his royalties from his music
productions are garnished by the State of Oregon for child support and
he has asked the mother to drop her quest for child support because of
the accounting inconveniences it causes the royalty distribution
company. '"

Multnomah County's child support enforcement division includes three
prosecutors, about 25 clerical staff, and has about 9,000 to 10,000
current child support enforcement cases being worked, Yada said. The
criminal sanction is not often used and only in cases where a parent
has substantial arrears and has the means to pay, Yada said.

In this case, the district attorney's office also faxed a wage
withholding order to Lincoln Center, where Hillier was set to take the
stage.

But once Multnomah County prosecutors received the money Hillier had
wired by Thursday morning, they alerted an attorney for Lincoln Center
that their wage order no longer stood.

And Friday night, Hillier's Ars Nova Copenhagen's show featuring vocal
selections by composers Bach, Legeti and Xenakis in New York City went
on as scheduled.

Perhaps this is an extreme example, but maybe not. It at least shows the power exists to prevent his return. Hope this is helpful.
ratbastard

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
does he have to contact a state agency to find out if his passport is flagged? He is currently paying arrears and the regular support as well.

The most that can happen is they take his tax returns, they can't "flag" the passport. But yeah, you can call the Attorney General in NY and ask them.

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
Hey guys thanks for all your help. Did a little reseearch ad this article pretty much sums it up;

Before any passport is issued, the passport applicant?s name is checked against a central name check system. A federal or state law enforcement investigative agency may request that a subject be placed in the passport name check system for notification before issuance even when there is no warrant or other court order. The written request should be sent to the Office of Legal Affairs (address below), and should include full biodata of the subject, the statute under which the subject is being investigated, and the agency address and phone number of the officer to be contacted.

A federal or state law enforcement agency may request the denial of a passport on several regulatory grounds under 22 CFR 51.70 and 51.72. The principal law enforcement reasons for passport denial are a federal warrant of arrest, a federal or state criminal court order, a condition of parole or probation forbidding departure from the United States (or the jurisdiction of the court), or a request for extradition. The HHS child support database and the Marshals Service WIN database are checked automatically for entitlement to a passport. Denial or revocation of a passport does not prevent the use of outstanding valid passports.

A request for denial should be in writing (delivered or faxed to the Office of Legal Affairs [address below]), and should include full biodata of the subject, a copy of the warrant of arrest and the name, agency address and phone number of the officer to be contacted. If an application is made, the State Department, in coordination with the requesting agency, will deny issuance of the passport.

Passport revocation may be effected when the person obtained the passport fraudulently, when the passport was issued in error, when the person?s certificate of naturalization was cancelled by a federal court, or when the person would not be entitled to a new passport under 22 CFR 51.70 (a) or (b). The physical revocation of a passport is often difficult, and an apparently valid passport can be used for travel until officially taken by an arresting officer or by a court.

To request passport revocation, law enforcement should make the request in writing to the Office of Legal Affairs (address below) with the subject?s name, including aliases, date and place of birth, social security number, known previous passports, last known address, copies of any court orders or warrants, and contact information.

Revocations are coordinated with the Department of Justice and the requesting agency. A passport will not be revoked when the whereabouts of the bearer is unknown. When there is a passport ?hit? on an individual within the United States, based on the request, the interested law enforcement agency will be informed of the person?s address so that an arrest can be made.

The requesting agency works with the Department of Justice?s Office of International Affairs, Department of State L/LEI, the embassy and the foreign law enforcement establishment to affect the person?s return to the United States.

When a subject is routinely apprehended and has a passport, the passport may be retained by the law enforcement agency for evidentiary purposes. However, when it is no longer needed for the law enforcement purpose and the person is still in custody or subject to a bond or parole, the passport must be returned to the Department of State, Office of Legal Affairs .

For more information on how to return a passport based on the above circumstance, please contact the Office of Legal Affairs by telephone at (202) 663-2662 or by fax a t (202) 663-2654.

Please notify Passport Services when a subject is apprehended, when the warrant is quashed or when passport action is no longer needed. If a lookout is allowed to remain in the passport system after these events, it will result in inconvenience and possible legal action.

Lorena Felix

Jun 11, 2012
I get sick and tired of hearing people with this crap!!! My husband is a man of all men... He paid and worked two jobs to pay for both his children. We met and got married. His baby mother is a b**** and decided to file for child support. He was and is still paying. Well since he didn't have all the receipts the Judge ordered him to go back until they were born!! We owe $63,000!!!! He has been in the military for 5 years and we pay $900 a month!!! I think there are dead beat dads & then there are dead beat mothers also. This piece of garbage just spit out her fourth child, third different father. Guess what... No job & three child support checks. So not every man is a worthless dead beat father. & I think it is bull that we can not go on a vacation that we can afford (while paying $900 a month & back pay) because the system failed to hear the truth because it is for the mothers.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
An American friend had a fabulous job offer in Venezuela but he was in arrears $25,000 in child support. He could not leave until he got current. Working 100 hours a week to pay and get out of here. Wow, arent we all judgmental. Every situation is different and in this one the crackhead wife just spent the money on herself and the child was neglected money or not.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I get sick and tired of hearing people with this crap!!! My husband is a man of all men... He paid and worked two jobs to pay for both his children. We met and got married. His baby mother is a b**** and decided to file for child support. He was and is still paying. Well since he didn't have all the receipts the Judge ordered him to go back until they were born!! We owe $63,000!!!! He has been in the military for 5 years and we pay $900 a month!!! I think there are dead beat dads & then there are dead beat mothers also. This piece of garbage just spit out her fourth child, third different father. Guess what... No job & three child support checks. So not every man is a worthless dead beat father. & I think it is bull that we can not go on a vacation that we can afford (while paying $900 a month & back pay) because the system failed to hear the truth because it is for the mothers.

Welcome to DR1, Lorena, Your frustration came through, loud and clear.

Are you sure he can't travel to the DR? (Are you basing that just on this thread?) Maybe the OP will weigh in on what his "friend" did.

Being in arrears, and being a deadbeat with an arrest warrant are two different things. If $900 is what the judge ordered and he's been paying it since the order went into effect and the judge didn't take the passport (assuming he already had one), there's really nothing stopping him from travelling. (Can't get the passport, though, if he he's that far behind.) Being in the military, I'd assume, will work in his favor, because he can't just up and quit and isn't likely to stay outside the country.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
My last trip from DR as soon as I presented my passport it was checked against a list and when I asked the agent said we check for people who owe major child support and other things.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know a Dominican man in Philadelphia who owes a ton of back child support from his 1st marriage in NY - they took his passport and he hasn't been home to DR in over 10 years. His 2nd wife divorced him, and the pattern is repeating itself in PA.

This is fact, not supposition. He did outside sales for us, and NYS contacted us through the 1099 we issued him, to garnish his wages. Naturally, he quit the job as soon as we told him that.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I know a Dominican man in Philadelphia who owes a ton of back child support from his 1st marriage in NY - they took his passport and he hasn't been home to DR in over 10 years. His 2nd wife divorced him, and the pattern is repeating itself in PA.

This is fact, not supposition. He did outside sales for us, and NYS contacted us through the 1099 we issued him, to garnish his wages. Naturally, he quit the job as soon as we told him that.

I believe that this happened. The distinction, as I understand it, may be that he wasn't paying at all. Also likely that as a Dominican, the first wife requested that his passport be taken, as he could return to his country of origin and stay there. The judge can decide to take away the passport, but there isn't an automatic way that you get flagged for arreages without an arrest warrant.

For an American citizen who is paying child support with arreage and still has the passport, there's not a way to flag it for travel. There is a way to flag it if arreage is more than $5,000 on issuance and renewal, but not to restrict the travel itself. If the judge took the passport, that's different than being stopped from traveling with it at an aiport. If you are currently paying a court ordered amount that considers your arreage, you are made current with the new order, and you also wouldn't have an arrest warrant.

I think that's consistent with JetBlues posting. (and ratbastards as well, where the person was arrested on returning to the US, but was not prevented from leaving, and probably somebody involved tipped off police as he is a recognizeable figure.)