Buy a driver's license

E

engineerfg

My dominican friend claims that pretty much everyone pays during their drivers exam here, and can get a quick and 'easy' test ie. fake test.

True or false from your experiences?

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
False. I did that same thing and then last year I went to renew it and it turned out to be a total fake, was not even in the system. So I started from square one, got my learners permit, and went for my license 30 days later. The whole process is so easy and probably less than what you would have to pay someone to get a fake one.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
My dominican friend claims that pretty much everyone pays during their drivers exam here, and can get a quick and 'easy' test ie. fake test.

True or false from your experiences?

It's not uncommon for people to pay a bribe to the examiner so they pass their test.

But...

Those that pay to get a license, might have a few issues if they ever have an accident. It's just not worth it, as it's not hard to be 100% legit.

Reactions: Bronxboy

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
False. I did that same thing and then last year I went to renew it and it turned out to be a total fake, was not even in the system. So I started from square one, got my learners permit, and went for my license 30 days later. The whole process is so easy and probably less than what you would have to pay someone to get a fake one.

The following was posted on DR1 awhile back. Has anything changed with the procedure for obtaing a DR drivers license?

Getting a Driver?s License in the Dominican Republic.

Getting your license in the Dominican Republic is a straightforward process. Bring your cedula and a copy of the document with you to La Direccion General de Transito Terreste (DGTT), which is the equivalent of the department of motor vehicles. Make sure you have studied the driver?s manual before you take your driving exam. Next, you must pay taxes in order to receive your license:

Driver?s License: RD$455
Exam: RD$200
Medical Exam RD$40
Classification Fee: RD$75
Taxes: RD$20
Cost of Forms and Services: RD$85
Total: RD$855

At DGTT go to window # 1 and present your cedula and one copy, and pay for the driver?s license. Next, go to window #2 and present your cedula, along with the receipt of payment of taxes, and the receipt of payment for the driver?s license. Thirdly, go to window # 5 and present your cedula with the previous receipts, so that the information can be checked to make sure it?s accurate.

After that, present all previous documents to window # 6, in order to take the written exam.

If you pass the written exam you?ll be asked to take a road test. You have to wait 45 days before you can take a road test. Once you pass the road test, you can then obtain a Dominican drivers license.

Note: Driver?s tests in the Dominican Republic are done in standard vehicles, i.e. vehicles with stick shifts. You can opt to take your test in an automatic vehicle, but it will be listed as a restriction on your license. If you choose to take your test with a standard vehicle, but don?t own one, you can rent one at DGTT for RD$300.

Reactions: Celt202
E

engineerfg

All interesting. From your experiences, what % of people on the road actually have a license?

Surely some of the barbaros that drive like crazy have never taken or passed an exam....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A license is worth it if you own a car here. In fact, a necessity

Mine was VIP in Pto Plata..... actually in the Gov't building.... computer test with a tutor..... photo, blood type, etc..... all other applicants in the room too.
The real deal !!

If the person just disappears and appears w/ a license - I would be wary.

Word is that this type of "service" is outlawed in SDQ.

I think its just No American licenses that cannot be converted quickly... Euros are easier. Just my understanding

WW

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
I have being going through the drivers license process for the last few months in santiago. It is not an easy process. You need have a cedula and be able to pass a computer test in Spanish and also a driving test. It will take a min. of 45 days to get a license.

You can buy a license that looks real, but the information is not in the system for $3,000.

You can go through the process, pass the computer test and pay 2,500 pesos to skip the driving test. This is what I did. When I showed up to take the driving test there was a long line of cars and I didn't want to wait all day.

Pay 7,500 pesos and they will do the whole process for you. It is a real license that is in the computer system.

If I had to do it over again, I would pay the 7,500 pesos. I started to process in Dec and will finally be finished tomorrow.

May 12, 2005
As an ex-pat living in DR, I would be sure to have a legitimate license. Remember rule number 1, no matter what the crazy Dominican driver does, you the foreigner, are always wrong. Don't add the headache of a fake drivers license to the situation.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Who do you pay the 7,500 pesos to?

I have heard that there are buscones who will essentially take the test for you. I'm sure it's not legal, but it's not enforced, and the end result is a real license that is in the system. 7500RD sounds about right for something like that.

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
Who do you pay the 7,500 pesos to?

There are a lot of driving schools located around the baseball stadium. You pay them 7,500 pesos and they handle everything for you. I asked the price at different schools and they all want 7,500 pesos.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There are a lot of driving schools located around the baseball stadium. You pay them 7,500 pesos and they handle everything for you. I asked the price at different schools and they all want 7,500 pesos.

This is the way to go. You will get a real license with minimal hassle.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Taking the Test/Computer

Yes, they stand beside you and push the buttons - careful not to score 100% - the test is not hard.
I felt afterwards, that i could have passed on my own.

The big benefit is the VIP thru the line ( a la cedula/residency ) and no road test.

I paid 9500 pesos for 2 people in Sosua ( going to the POP office ) from a Escula de Chofers near the Sosua Beach.

As I said earlier..... in the real office of the government.... computers, cameras, other applicants.... bona fide !!;)

WW

BTW.... this man does all permits and applications..... pistoles, cedulas, residencies.... the whole bag.

Reactions: rice&beans

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you take nothing else from this thread:

As an ex-pat living in DR, I would be sure to have a legitimate license. Remember rule number 1, no matter what the crazy Dominican driver does, you the foreigner, are always wrong. Don't add the headache of a fake drivers license to the situation.

I have heard that there are buscones who will essentially take the test for you. I'm sure it's not legal, but it's not enforced, and the end result is a real license that is in the system. 7500RD sounds about right for something like that.

Correct and Correct. If you take away nothing else from this thread, these are two salient points.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
???????

So you get a legal drivers license the same day using a driving school?

That was my experience..... 1st a temporary, then the permanent follows 45 days later.
The temporary is valid for 1 year...... drive anywhere in the world.

Great for recovering alcoholics who can't get licensed anywhere else :pirate:

Just kidding, but it would work...... after residency/cedula reqirements are met.
Very wierd.....:ermm:

BTW.... the fee includes all the bank payments that he will go and make for you.... no running around and standing in line at el Banco

WW

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That was my experience..... 1st a temporary, then the permanent follows 45 days later.
The temporary is valid for 1 year...... drive anywhere in the world.

Great for recovering alcoholics who can't get licensed anywhere else :pirate:

Just kidding, but it would work...... after residency/cedula reqirements are met.
Very wierd.....:ermm:

WW

So you pay the 7,500 up front and get the temporary license the same day?