Cost to ship a laptop or cellphone through EPS?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Let's say I purchased a $600 laptop and a $400 Blackberry Torch on amazon, how much would the total be to ship to Santiago or SD via the shipping services available to the DR?

I just want to know how much taxes I would need to pay for it to pass customs.

Thanks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Taxes... How long is a piece of string?

If it's under US$200 is will not incur any.
If it's over US$200, then it all depends on the day of the week, are the Yankee's doing well etc.

You best option is to do it once and find out.
We will all have a benchmark then.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Let's say I purchased a $600 laptop and a $400 Blackberry Torch on amazon, how much would the total be to ship to Santiago or SD via the shipping services available to the DR?

I just want to know how much taxes I would need to pay for it to pass customs.

Recently there was a thread started by a woman who sent an electronic item to her son using one of the courier services. The value, as I recall, was US$300, mas o menos.

I don't recall what she was charged in taxes, but it was significant. Maybe somebody who reads this will recall what that thread was.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do NOT do it. YOu will pay double the cost...Get somebody to hand carry them here...
There are too many people going back and forth not to be able to do this.

Hb

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Do NOT do it. YOu will pay double the cost...Get somebody to hand carry them here...
There are too many people going back and forth not to be able to do this.

Hb

I agree 100% with Hillbilly!
Bought a surround system on Ebay for US$ 700, taxes were RD$ 18,000 and shipping (from Miami to Bavaro) RD$ 9,000: total of RD$ 27,000 = more or less US$ 722......once and never again!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Forget it

They will get you good. Dont do it. We just sent a $600 lap top to Sosua with a friend. O dollars in customs. If a person carries it there is no problem, even with two lap tops. Shipping will tax you something terrible.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for the posts.

I knew that anything over $200 would be subject to a pretty penny, but I didn't know it was that much.

What are my other choices? Someone told me of a shipping service by sea that doesn't go through customs. You pay $70 and you can ship virtually anything. Apparently, they know how to deal with customs officials in the DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks for the posts.

I knew that anything over $200 would be subject to a pretty penny, but I didn't know it was that much.

What are my other choices? Someone told me of a shipping service by sea that doesn't go through customs. You pay $70 and you can ship virtually anything. Apparently, they know how to deal with customs officials in the DR.

So for US$70 I can ship a car or 25 iMacs?

Nothing is immune to customs and only if you are doing very large volume can you do "deals".

What volume do you plan to do?

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I agree 100% with Hillbilly!
Bought a surround system on Ebay for US$ 700, taxes were RD$ 18,000 and shipping (from Miami to Bavaro) RD$ 9,000: total of RD$ 27,000 = more or less US$ 722......once and never again!

I have done this many times through AEROPAQ, not problem at all and very cheap.
for a 750dlls HP dv7 pavillion a paid around 75dlls. you have to call them when it arrive in Miami, so they declare it cheaper in custom. they delivery to your house for free if you want. it takes 48 hours.
they are located in front of Saint George School. in Piantini
phone 809 237 6727 Aeropaq - Inicio

Reactions: Celt202

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
So for US$70 I can ship a car or 25 iMacs?
If it fits, it ships. I'm just kidding.

What this person told me is that they ship in huge cargos. With a smaller item, they will pack it and stick it there. I haven't tried it yet, but she told me that she's shipped many things this way (TVs, PCs, etc...) Apparently they do something in customs that they're not charged taxes.

I have done this many times through AEROPAQ, not problem at all and very cheap.
for a 750dlls HP dv7 pavillion a paid around 75dlls. you have to call them when it arrive in Miami, so they declare it cheaper in custom. they delivery to your house for free if you want. it takes 48 hours.
they are located in front of Saint George School. in Piantini
phone 809 237 6727 Aeropaq - Inicio
How long does it take to receive the item? Is it $75 per box? Or do they charge by weight?
Based on your experience, is Aeropaq reliable?

Thanks.

Feb 7, 2007
Here, I will disagree with the majority about bringing down the stuff in person. I do have experience bringing in laptops, cameras and cellphones via the shippers.

Two years ago I bought a US$1000 laptop from US manufacturer. I paid about RD$5.000 in taxes and about RD$2500 in shipping. That was through EPS.

A year ago I got Nokia cellphone costing US$270 and paid about RD$1000 in taxes (duties). Shipped via Piksend.

If your package has invoice you should be OK. Over the $500 item I would ship through a well known shipper like EPS or Vimenpaq so you're assured the customs will be OK.

8517.12.00 - - Tel?fonos m?viles (celulares) y los de otras redes inal?mbricas 3.00% 0.00% S
So cellulars pay 3% customs duty and 16% ITBIS VAT. Total 19% of the value over US$200, including the USA inland shipping charges (so get free or cheap shipping if possible).

If I am not mistaken, laptops only pay 16% ITBIS, no customs duty or excise tax. You can call Vimenpaq (asks for "deparamento de aduanas") to double check.

A nice thing with Vimenpaq is that if DR aduana charges you a customs duty/tax based on incorrect value amount, you can file a claim with Vimenca, supply your credit card receipt, auction receipt, Paypal receipt, invoice, link to a website, etc. and they will get back to aduana to reprice the article. The article will be on hold in your local Vimenpaq (takes about a week to process) and then your invoice will be adjusted. Or you can pay the total and any adjustment is then applied to your Vimenpaq account against future shipping charges.

Feb 7, 2007
If it fits, it ships. I'm just kidding.

What this person told me is that they ship in huge cargos. With a smaller item, they will pack it and stick it there. I haven't tried it yet, but she told me that she's shipped many things this way (TVs, PCs, etc...) Apparently they do something in customs that they're not charged taxes.

How long does it take to receive the item? Is it $75 per box? Or do they charge by weight?
Based on your experience, is Aeropaq reliable?

Thanks.

Remember one thing - most of Sto. Dgop. and Santiago aduana field personnel and office personnel that deal with valuations/checkings etc. was changed last year after the many scandals and cases. Shippers are still in the "process of building up" new contacts...

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for all the replies.

I checked aeropaq's calculator and it says that for a US $400 item, I would pay $9.98. That's much less than the 19% that should be charged.

Does that make sense? Could it be that Aeropaq is not calculating correctly?

Thanks again.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Thanks for all the replies.

I checked aeropaq's calculator and it says that for a US $400 item, I would pay $9.98. That's much less than the 19% that should be charged.

Does that make sense? Could it be that Aeropaq is not calculating correctly?

Thanks again.

you have to add the 16% itbis.
64dlls for 400. that will depend how much cost they declare for the laptop.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are forgetting that they also charge you the Itbis tax on the shipping fees and the insurance fees, so it is never "just" 16%...

Do what we said and have somebody bring them down...or you'll be sorry!!

HB

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
You are forgetting that they also charge you the Itbis tax on the shipping fees and the insurance fees, so it is never "just" 16%...

Do what we said and have somebody bring them down...or you'll be sorry!!

HB

This is the cheaper way of course. but if He doesnt have anybody to bring it.
He can use the RATE CALCULATOR. I have done this at least 12 times and I can tell you that this is 99% accurate. you just have to enter the weight of the item 6-10 pounds for a laptop and the price you want to declare (normally they declare around 60% of the real value). airport fee, flete, insurance and others are included here. you just have to add 16%itbis if the item cost is more than 200dlls.
If you buy many items and the invoice is over 600 dlls, is better to do 3invoices to avoid the 16% tax.
If you still do not feel confortable, call them or go in person and they will tell exactly what you gonna pay.
I have bought 3 laptops in last 2 years and never pay more than 100 dlls. but it is very important that you ask them to help you with the value to declare.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have bought 3 laptops in last 2 years and never pay more than 100 dlls. but it is very important that you ask them to help you with the value to declare.

How much does that "help" cost?