Doctors in Santiago

batism01

Feb 22, 2011
Can you give me some in sight on good doctors and insurance plans for DR. I understand that in order to be properly attended to you need good insurance there? Any recomendations?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No insurance needed. Some of the better clinics are La Union Medica, Clinica Materna y Infantil, Clinica Corominas and maybe the best and most modern, Hospital HOMS. There are others of course.

Reactions: Bronxboy

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
insurance needed unless you want to pay through your nose. but only worthwhile if you actually live in DR or spend a lot of time here.

Crytonb99

Jan 25, 2010
What are some of the most reputable insurances there in the DR? Any idea on the yearly cost? I spend alot of time there and I notice that alot of doctors ask for it. Please help.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't know if insurance is really needed. We pay RD600 to RD1000 per vist at the nice clinics. The insurances run RD2000 a month and up. Yes you get a discount but unless you go to the doctor a lot it isn't worth it. You also don't get a discount on medecine either. It could help with a surgery though.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Anyone doing the math can figure out that insurance for expats is really about protecting against a catastrophic event. IF you have insurance where you are from and only visiting it is not worth it.

IF you are living here then it is probably worth it to have something - should you have an accident or need surgery then it will be worth it. For run of the mill visits - hardly worth the expense.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
My experience

My family has ARS Humano and they have done right by us. My wife just had knee surgery in Corominas with a very reputable doctor and we paid $900 pesos (insurance picked up more than $40,000). This included a night in a private air-conditioned suite with cable tv and meals (queso frito and mangu for the convalecing, LOL).

A single friend of mine discovered stage 2 colon cancer last year, and though he had only been in his ARS insurance plan for a month at the time they covered 70% of his surgery and chemo's.

My experiences only, but they certainly have made a positive impression on me.

Also, there are many good doctors in Santiago, the trick is flagging them down as they are often in 3 places at once.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
My family has ARS Humano and they have done right by us. My wife just had knee surgery in Corominas with a very reputable doctor and we paid $900 pesos (insurance picked up more than $40,000). This included a night in a private air-conditioned suite with cable tv and meals (queso frito and mangu for the convalecing, LOL).

A single friend of mine discovered stage 2 colon cancer last year, and though he had only been in his ARS insurance plan for a month at the time they covered 70% of his surgery and chemo's.

My experiences only, but they certainly have made a positive impression on me.

Also, there are many good doctors in Santiago, the trick is flagging them down as they are often in 3 places at once.

How much do you pay per month for this insurance?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
two best insurers are humano and universal. and they do cover the medicine even on basic plans (about 3k pesos worth a year). the more you pay monthly the more you get.
read my line: "worthwhile if you actually live in DR or spend a lot of time here". i stand by it. young woman may want to have children, older folks tend to get hipertension and heart problems, fat may get diabetes and so on. we are not immune.
for a visitor i suggest maybe travel insurance in case of an accident or something. that will do nicely.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
I agree with DV8's opinion. We pay quite a lot for our coverage.

To answer above question we pay over $4,000 peso's monthly for a family of 5.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot will depend on your needs. Do you have small children? A good pediatrician is needed and many will accept a small monthly payment in lieu of insurance. It is sort of their own "insurance" plan. These are called "igualas" and you pay om an monthly or quarterly or semi-annual basis. Your consults are then free of charge although treatments will cost, of course.

This sort of deal can be worked out with any professional: doctors, lawyers, hookers, whatever...

If you have a large, young family, it might be best to look into a plan from Humana or Universal and see what it will cost. As people here will tell you, the best doctors are available at the four or five major clinics: Corominas, Centro M?dico Cibao, Materno-Infantil, Uni?n M?dica del Norte and HOMS. Many of the doctors work at two places.

Be aware that some specialties do not accept insurance payments...so you should always ask.

You can be assured that you can get good health care in Santiago.

HB