Becoming Notary Public

batism01

Feb 22, 2011
What are the requirements to become a notary in DR? I would like to pursue this career?

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Don?t take my word as a given, but If I?m not mistaken I believe this vocation has been halted since 2007.

I learned this from my lawyer, he told me he was waiting for the powers that be resumed this profession again.

You should keep investigating, maybe they?ve started without my knowledge.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As far as I now, you first become a lawyer. Then you can become a notary. Sound silly? That is how I understand the process here in the DR. DR1's lawyer Dr. Guzman can explain the logic behind it.

As far as the vocation being halted, maybe that is what the poster means.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
My wife recently became a lawyer with all necesssary certifications. I've asked her to become a notary--she said it is not simple. Even with some connections it takes a good while. Almost sounds like a waiting list with very good backgrounds.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A notary in latin countries is not the same as a notary public in the U.S. I quote from the Wikipedia:

"Civil-law notaries, or Latin notaries, are lawyers who draft, take, and record legal instruments for private parties, provide legal advice and give attendance in person, and are vested as public officers with the authentication power of the State. Unlike notaries public, their common-law counterparts, civil-law notaries are highly-trained, licensed practitioners providing a full range of regulated legal services, and whereas they hold a public office, they nonetheless operate usually - but not always - in private practice and are paid on a fee-for-service basis. They often receive the same education as advocates at civil law, trial lawyers, or any professional litigator but without qualifications in advocacy, procedural law, or the law of evidence, analogous to solicitor training in common-law countries."

To become a notary in the DR, you must first be a lawyer and then await a vacancy in a jurisdiction (only so many notaries are allowed per jurisdiction). If there is one (there were none for ten years from 1997 to 2007), then you must pass several tests given by the Supreme Court. If you pass, then the Supreme Court will swear you in as a notary.