What are the most popular sites in DR?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Besides facebook, what are the most popular sites visited in the Dominican Republic?

I'm searching for a dedicated server host for our site. Basically, what I do is find out who's hosting these popular sites and host with them.

Supposedly, Miami hosts have the best network towards the Caribbean. Plus, there are less hops (less latency).

Thanks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Besides facebook, what are the most popular sites visited in the Dominican Republic?

I'm searching for a dedicated server host for our site. Basically, what I do is find out who's hosting these popular sites and host with them.

Supposedly, Miami hosts have the best network towards the Caribbean. Plus, there are less hops (less latency).

Thanks.

Your logic is flawed. What makes you assume the tech people know who they should be hosting with to get the best peering to the DR?

Most popular sites:
Alexa - Top Sites in Dominican Republic

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Your logic is flawed. What makes you assume the tech people know who they should be hosting with to get the best peering to the DR?

Most popular sites:
Alexa - Top Sites in Dominican Republic

Thanks for the link.

I'm not sure I understand your reply.

I don't need tech people to tell me what network I should use. I can use tracert for that. But if I know that facebook is widely used in DR, then I can assume that their host is doing something right. So I try to find who hosts facebook.

With web hosting, you can only assume and hope for the best. There is no such thing as the "best" host.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks for the link.

I'm not sure I understand your reply.

I don't need tech people to tell me what network I should use. I can use tracert for that. But if I know that facebook is widely used in DR, then I can assume that their host is doing something right. So I try to find who hosts facebook.

With web hosting, you can only assume and hope for the best. There is no such thing as the "best" host.

Facebook hosts Facebook across multiple mirrored GEO located data centers.

tracert is not much use as it doesn't tell you the quality of the peering, what redundancy each hop has etc. Then again, unless you are running a huge site that is critical to have 99.9% uptime etc, then I wouldn't worry.

Not true regarding webhosts, it's not a "hope for the best" situation if you do your homework. I suggest you look at sites like...

Web Hosting Talk - The largest, most influential web hosting community on the Internet

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Using a CDN

If you are really trying to improve speed globally or regionally you should consider using a CDN. CDNs have pops all around the world and peering relationships with carriers.

there are large expensive CDNs and cheap cdns. depending on costs you might consider using a CDN instead of spawning new instances/hosts/servers in different regions.

@Robert, the logic that if diarolibre.com, and taringaDOTnet are getting the most traffic that it is based on performance because in the industry it is known that faster websites get more uniques and page views. If they are using a datacenter or ISP in DR OP assumes that OPs site should put their site on the same datacenter or ISP as them to get simaler performance from the infrastructure.

that being said if the web app is crappy and slow no ISP will do any help

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
@Robert, the logic that if diarolibre.com, and taringaDOTnet are getting the most traffic that it is based on performance because in the industry it is known that faster websites get more uniques and page views. If they are using a datacenter or ISP in DR OP assumes that OPs site should put their site on the same datacenter or ISP as them to get simaler performance from the infrastructure.

that being said if the web app is crappy and slow no ISP will do any help

Nobody that needs any sort of reliability uses data centers in the DR :)
All the major newspapers and popular sites here are hosted in the US.

The OP as far as I'm aware is looking to host a locally focused Classifieds site. This does not require Facebook/Google type infrastructure or
first class peering.

A decent VPS from any one of the 100's of excellent and reliable hosts will be fine. As you grow, you can scale your infrastructure, simple.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
robert, you should consider charging this dude for help you guys give him re starting own company.
:)

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks again for all your replies.

I know facebook has their own servers. I was using them as an example. And I know most of the bigger sites in the DR are hosted by US hosters. Just because I aks don't mean I don't know nothin' :angry: I'm just kidding.:cheeky:

Nobody that needs any sort of reliability uses data centers in the DR :)
That's not entirely true. Sites like Banco Popular and Paginas Amarillas are hosted by Codetel and Wind.

I indeed have heard of WebHostingTalk. That's my main source for hosting for the last month. But it seems someone always has something negative to say about every single host.

The reason I don't use VPS or CLoud is that they're essentially glorified hosting. I'd rather spend more on a managed dedicated server. Besides, the cost for a budget managed dedicated and a VPS (with similar hardware) is about the same.

My top two choices are Peer1 (they host diariolibre.com) and Hostdime. Both are in Miami.

robert, you should consider charging this dude for help you guys give him re starting own company.
:)
What?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks again for all your replies.

I know facebook has their own servers. I was using them as an example. And I know most of the bigger sites in the DR are hosted by US hosters. Just because I aks don't mean I don't know nothin' :angry: I'm just kidding.:cheeky:

That's not entirely true. Sites like Banco Popular and Paginas Amarillas are hosted by Codetel and Wind.

I indeed have heard of WebHostingTalk. That's my main source for hosting for the last month. But it seems someone always has something negative to say about every single host.

The reason I don't use VPS or CLoud is that they're essentially glorified hosting. I'd rather spend more on a managed dedicated server. Besides, the cost for a budget managed dedicated and a VPS (with similar hardware) is about the same.

My top two choices are Peer1 (they host diariolibre.com) and Hostdime. Both are in Miami.

What?

Unless you have $200-$300US monthly to spend on a dedicated server them by all means go ahead. If you are looking to start a website (what ever type it is) then go with a simple shared host, its cheap, reliable and you can walk away from if it doesn't work out; something like hostgator.

What makes you so sure that you will get thousands of visitors? I am not trying to put you down, but as someone who has 7 years experience with website building/marketing I can personally tell you its not an easy task. Out of the 100s of websites Ive build only about 5 Ive kept.

Again, go with a shared hosting plan. If you want to start a classified ad site for DR people, log into Cpanel, there is a package called Fantastico, you can install various scripts/programs from there. Anything from classified ad site to a webstore. Once you have your site then start the marketing phase (various white hat, gray hat and black hat methods of doing this). Of course, black hat being the most succesfull but the most risky.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Unless you have $200-$300US monthly to spend on a dedicated server them by all means go ahead. If you are looking to start a website (what ever type it is) then go with a simple shared host, its cheap, reliable and you can walk away from if it doesn't work out; something like hostgator.

What makes you so sure that you will get thousands of visitors? I am not trying to put you down, but as someone who has 7 years experience with website building/marketing I can personally tell you its not an easy task. Out of the 100s of websites Ive build only about 5 Ive kept.

Again, go with a shared hosting plan. If you want to start a classified ad site for DR people, log into Cpanel, there is a package called Fantastico, you can install various scripts/programs from there. Anything from classified ad site to a webstore. Once you have your site then start the marketing phase (various white hat, gray hat and black hat methods of doing this). Of course, black hat being the most succesfull but the most risky.

Thanks for you input.

I have tried several shared hosters, and they were very limited, to say the least. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I've analyzed every single one of those points. And to be frank, that wasn't the purpose of the question.

Anyhow, I already selected a dedicated host. I'll post a review in a few months for anyone interested in hosting a site that caters to the DR.