College

GandA

Feb 4, 2011
Would a dominican that came to usa, be able to go to college? if he didnt finish college in RD?

If he did graduate from college there, could he still go to college in the usa?

If not, why?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I graduate High School in DR and when i came here I presented my High School papers and I was able to get into college.

GandA

Feb 4, 2011
Well, my boyfriend is in college right now. but we will bring him try to bring him here, and if he is able to come, then he wants to finish college, but i need to know if its possible.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
it depends on his english skills. all DR school paperwork is transferable if processed correctly (i don't know what the reverse process is - only how to process US paper work for the DR, sorry). He'll probably need to take the TOEFL exam as well to see if he needs remedial English language classes as well.

I know that USF offers a program for immigrant, non-english speakers as a conditional acceptance to study there. But there is also the County Community College (whose name is escaping me now) that is cheaper and might be a better choice for his first classes.

As far as what he's already done here in the DR - most of the schools are recognized. However, not all of the credits will be accepted and those that will might just be counted as "electives" instead of what the original class was. That depends on what his major is (not where he studies - I've seen unis in the states take UTESA credits as they are far more often than the PUCMM... and in tourism and education classes OyM transfers the best) and how many semesters he's studied. A lot of American universities won't accept credits past 65 (which is approximately 4 American semesters worth of classes).

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
it depends on his english skills. all DR school paperwork is transferable if processed correctly (i don't know what the reverse process is - only how to process US paper work for the DR, sorry). He'll probably need to take the TOEFL exam as well to see if he needs remedial English language classes as well.

I know that USF offers a program for immigrant, non-english speakers as a conditional acceptance to study there. But there is also the County Community College (whose name is escaping me now) that is cheaper and might be a better choice for his first classes.

As far as what he's already done here in the DR - most of the schools are recognized. However, not all of the credits will be accepted and those that will might just be counted as "electives" instead of what the original class was. That depends on what his major is (not where he studies - I've seen unis in the states take UTESA credits as they are far more often than the PUCMM... and in tourism and education classes OyM transfers the best) and how many semesters he's studied. A lot of American universities won't accept credits past 65 (which is approximately 4 American semesters worth of classes).

Summed it up very nicely.

As LaTeacher said, just make sure he/you speak to the school he wants to ultimately get into in the States. I've heard that transfering to a community College is easier, so you may want to have him transfer to a Community 2 year College first, then take a semester or two there and if he wishes then he can transfer to a 4 year school.