Customs again, UPS

miozio

May 23, 2009
I checked all the threads on DR1 and it seems like all people pay different taxes. Recent updates would be nice to hear.

I ordered a box with a new camcorder with 5 accessories total value $1068. It's been 2 days now for the customs in Santiago to calculate the tax. I called them 3 times as well as UPS, but nobody has any certainty. UPS tracking says: Package data processed by brokerage. Waiting for clearance.

Some people say this will not be more than $200, others say over $1000 I am so puzzled and frustrated.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
its arbitrary

It seems that everyone pays a different amount. Rarely is it good. There is supposed to be a book of values they consult but it still seems random. My wife is Dominican was able to get customs reduced for an English friend but it was only about %20 percent less. Still a saving. If its a lot try and get a clever well spoken Dominican to go down and negotiate for you. Dominicans will nearly always pay less and will bargain on and on. Good luck and buckle up!!!!!

miozio

May 23, 2009
Thank you for the answer. As per negotiating, you are right, Dominicans pay way less for everything here, even in pubs. I wish i had a friend who works at customs in Santiago... ))

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I have found a limit of 200$ per order for no tax. Perhaps good to order accessories separately.
I have found a week to clear customs. UPS should get a bill for you and you may need to prepay. I have found CPS better.
Fax UPS the tracking number, copy of invoice, copy of credit card deduction etc.
CPS charge about 6 dollars a pound approx plus taxes etc.
You have to collect from CPS office but they will negotiate with customs for you.
Always better to do it by fax.
You may need to deposit customs charge plus clearance charge etc. at a local bank to obtain release and fax the bank receipt. Quite normal really.
Yandandu

miozio

May 23, 2009
Thanks Yandandu!! I thought they would charge just for the camcorder but was wrong.. I will definitely check the CPS deal.. +1 rep )))

Feb 7, 2007
miozio, DR customs charge for everything that is in package, based on invoice amount, including shipping. DR customs will charge you tax including on UPS shipping. I don't know if the $1000+ you quoted was shipping included or not, but DR customs will assess tax on the TOTAL invoice amount. That's why it's good to use free shipping options with various stores, who can ship free to Miami.

For example, photographic and movie cameras are 24% in total tax: 8% duty tax + 16% ITBIS for a total of 24% of total invoice value.

9007.91.00 - - De c?maras 8.00% 0.00% S CAMARAS Y PROYECTORES CINEMATOGRAFICOS, INCLUSO CON GRABADOR O REPRODUCTOR DE SONIDO INCORPORADOS. CAMARAS:

video recorders are 56% in total tax: 20% duty, 20% luxury tax and 16% ITBIS.
8521.10.00 - De cinta magn?tica 20.00% 20.00% S APARATOS DE GRABACION O REPRODUCCION DE IMAGEN Y SONIDO (VIDEOS),INCLUSO CON RECEPTOR DE SE?ALES DEIMAGEN Y SONIDO INCORPORADO.
(This is for video and dvd recorders). But the key word is aparato (device) and recording of video and sound.

So this description can be both applied to video/dvd recorders as well as video cameras. That's maybe why UPS was not sure what the tax duty will be assessed. In the first case it would be 24% total with VAT and customs duty, and in the second case it would be 56% total with VAT and customs duty. Good luck!

Direcci?n General de Aduanas - DGA

If you ship $$$$ article to DR you should ship it via Miami through one of many mail forwarders, because shipping charges Miami-DR are NOT calculated/included for customs purposes (the shipping charges are levied after the article passes customs). If you ship by Fedex, UPS, etc. the DR customs will include into the total package value the amount of shipping charge paid to the courier company for the international portion of your shipping.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Wow!! Rubio! Thank you so much for knowing the exact numbers... There is a UPS broker i presume who was in charge with my package, the status says "Package data processed by brokerage" which probably means that they have calculated the tax. If i am unlucky, i will have to pay over $600 which is 2 times a round trip ticket to NY. I could have invited two friends of mine to come over instead ))

UPS promised door-to-door delivery but the customs said today that if the total sum exceeded RD$5000, i would have to go to Santiago or deposit the money at BHD and wait. I am sure now with your help that it will exceed 5k mark and i will need to choose. I guess the bank deposit will slow the process. I wanted to check the items by opening the box and plugging all the equipment, i am sure that will look funny at the customs office.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is my understanding that taxes are assessed on shipping even on the price of shipping by Miami to DR freight forwarders. Please correct me if I am wrong on that.

Despite schedules showing the taxes that should be charged, the actual charges do seem to be arbitrary and will likely be different each time you send the same taxable items. A total lack of transparency in the system.

As for trying out your video camera at the customs office, I envision a good plot for Saturday Night Live in the making.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Not so bad - there is a clearance charge as well as the tax.
Still it is hoped the the tax goes to schools etc.
It's only 790 dollars.
Yanandu.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The final verdict against common sense is RD$ 29.240

I assume you meant 29,240 pesos.

Looks like you were correct, it would have been cheaper (Less than half that amount) to do a round trip Air flight and carry it in as personal belongings.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Not so bad - there is a clearance charge as well as the tax.
Still it is hoped the the tax goes to schools etc.
It's only 790 dollars.
Yanandu.
On the way back from Santiago, i kept hoping for this money to reach children and this way calming myself down. I also thought of a good idea for the government to deduct the final tax if i spent it directly like buying stuff for some school. I ordered shoes separately for my daughter some time ago and imagined i would spend $790 buying 20 pairs of quality footwear for the local kids. But i know i sound too naive here :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Anything with a declared value over $200 will get the royal treatment! One of my clients sent me some cigar rings and decalred the value to be like 1290 dollars. Theywanted close to 30,000 pesos in duties. I think they are still rotting in Customs...

Never listen to those of us who have lived, worked, suffered it all...Just think like a foreigner whose country makes most things work logically and even rationally...Remember the old comic strip: Grin and Bear It!

HB

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Anything with a declared value over $200 will get the royal treatment! One of my clients sent me some cigar rings and decalred the value to be like 1290 dollars. Theywanted close to 30,000 pesos in duties. I think they are still rotting in Customs...

Never listen to those of us who have lived, worked, suffered it all...Just think like a foreigner whose country makes most things work logically and even rationally...Remember the old comic strip: Grin and Bear It!

HB

There is no tax on basic foodstuffs, little income tax and little property tax in the DR. So imports of luxury items carry some burden.

Only some states have a sales tax in the USA but in many countries there is a Value Added Tax of 20%.

US has one-off customs clearance fees and import duties on some products as well. If you import a motorcycle from China to US customs is quite expensive.
:bunny:

Yanandu

MWpending

Feb 22, 2011
ok, so that means if we decide to ship are personal belongings there we will be charges for each items value?

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
ok, so that means if we decide to ship are personal belongings there we will be charges for each items value?
No, on granting of a cedula one container of personal belongings is allowed in free of duty plus a car you have owned in the country of origin for at least 3 years.
This works - I have seen containers full of expensive items come in duty free.

Yanandu

Jan 9, 2004
Having residency allows you to...

No, on granting of a cedula one container of personal belongings is allowed in free of duty plus a car you have owned in the country of origin for at least 3 years.
This works - I have seen containers full of expensive items come in duty free.

Yanandu

bring in your personal household items free of duty...but not totally free. Just be aware, there will be other expenses.

As to a vehicle, I believe any vehicle that you have owned for at least one year prior to shipping is also allowed. Proof comes in the form of a registration....and, I am told, the five year rule is not applicable under the residency provision (under D.R. law a vehicle over 5 years old cannot normally be brought in).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2