DR on the rise?

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Maybe it's just me but everytime I watch HGTV's House Hunters International, there is an episode of people buying in DR.

Has anyone met any of these people and do you feel, DR is becoming more attractive or maybe I just saw some old repeats.

MWpending

Feb 22, 2011
No your right I seen it like 3 weeks ago on HGTV. A woman bought a nice Condo for like $120,000.00. Thats what triggered us into the idea of relocating there too. So since then I have been researchiing and seriously considering the move.

web

Nov 5, 2005
No your right I seen it like 3 weeks ago on HGTV. A woman bought a nice Condo for like $120,000.00. Thats what triggered us into the idea of relocating there too. So since then I have been researchiing and seriously considering the move.

I heard there is some really cheap real estate in Haiti now as well. Close to the Capital. Price isn't everything.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
From BBC.

Dominican Republic
This incredibly diverse country has mountains, lakes and splendid beaches, and sees a mix of holidaymakers that range from the eco-tourist to the golf fanatic. The past few years have seen an influx of development in and around Punta Cana and the Saman? peninsula, with resorts like Cap Cana and Balcones des Atlantico. They are home to multiple resorts, golf courses and real estate developments with apartments, townhouses and ocean-front villas for sale. There are also many second-home options, along with adventure and water parks, on the north coast, which some consider overdeveloped now.

On the east coast, properties for sale are typically apartments and small homes that begin as low as $150,000. However, the luxury market is also strong. "There is a very healthy market for luxury apartment developments in the Punta Cana-Bavaro region," said Luis Migoya, sales manager of Puntacana Resort and Club. "These can be priced up to $1 million and give owners access to golf, restaurants, spa, gym, tennis and other amenities." For any purchase, he said, it is important to hire a local lawyer to conduct due diligence and review the property's legal status. At Puntacana the government gives first-time buyers an incentive in the form of tax breaks: no transfer or property tax until 2013.

East coast and Samana seem to be No. 1 for investment.

A real boom in DR property!
:bunny:

Yanandu

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2007
Just be wary of House Hunters' International. I was approached.....

Let me just say, things are not always what they seem.....

Lindsey

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have noticed Bavaro to be much cheaper to buy than I expected. You can buy a place on the golf course for $118,000us, and if you skip the agent (research needed, a lot of sharks in Bavaro) much less.
Everything seems for sale or rent and no takers from what I have seen and according to who I have spoken to, no interest so something is wrong, apart from no one has any money, and the never ending uncompleted projects that will one day be the downfall of the coast.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Prime property is always snapped up quickly. There are sometimes distress sales - I heard of a nice villa with swimming pool and completely separate maids quarters on a large plot in a European area going for $150,000.
A 2 bed new terraced villa can go for $75,000 in the hills round Las Terrenas with shared swimming pool.
Caution is needed and also look at the maintenance fees and management in detail for apartments.

The market is cyclic with a tendency to over supply in some areas, under supply in others.

Yanandu.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Prime property is always snapped up quickly. There are sometimes distress sales - I heard of a nice villa with swimming pool and completely separate maids quarters on a large plot in a European area going for $150,000.
A 2 bed new terraced villa can go for $75,000 in the hills round Las Terrenas with shared swimming pool.
Caution is needed and also look at the maintenance fees and management in detail for apartments.

The market is cyclic with a tendency to over supply in some areas, under supply in others.

Yanandu.

Yet again, would you please specify where you are talking about.
I have a place in the Campo on the off side of the airport that cost me ?5000, I pay a guy to live and look after my pigs and goats, chickens and hens. But I could not live there, he can, he has now built a homes there over the last 6 months. I can't see this being a reality for expats!!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
House Hunters Int'l was one of the main reasons I bought my condo there in Bavaro/ El Cortecito last year. (Under construction, completion this spring.) In addition to House Hunters, I did a lot, and I mean a LOT of online research, then went down to buy. It is true you can get very nice condos 1bed/1or2 bath for $100K plus or minus and VERY nice new 2 bed/2bath condos in the $150 range plus or minus. These would be a short walk to the beach (less than 10 mins.) You can buy on the beach or almost on the beach for more... about $230 K and up.

I've met two of the people featured on the show, and have been in email contact with others, so the people are for real. AS FOR THE SHOW... well kidz, let's just remember it's TV -- HOLLYWOOD, baby!!! LOL Their job is to produce a program that the viewers will like and find interesting. I know for a fact that even though the basic facts such as price, properties, etc. are real enough, the "story lines" are... ummm... let's just say they take "artistic license" with the "telling of the story". anyone can feel free to PM me for specific details.

There are several reasons I think Punta Cana is becoming more desirable. The area is gaining more recognition as the public gets to know it through vacationing in the A.I.'s. The value for what you get beats anything you can get anywhere else. (I've researched lots of places.) And there are lots of people in N. America who have the means to buy a modest vacation home. To buy a place near the beach in my favorite seashore town in N.J., I would have paid MORE than twice as much, and gotten far less than my new condo. The best I could have hoped for would have been a decades old place with 2 bed/ 1 or 2 bath, which would have been beat up over years and years of rental usage.

I'm tired of watching our modest retirement funds sit stagnant, or worse yet shrink, in the 401k and pension plan that might never pay out. Having some investment in real estate is a nice diversification, but our real reason to buy is to have our own vacation home.

Feel free to PM me.

Aug 21, 2007

I've met two of the people featured on the show, and have been in email contact with others, so the people are for real. AS FOR THE SHOW... well kidz, let's just remember it's TV -- HOLLYWOOD, baby!!! LOL Their job is to produce a program that the viewers will like and find interesting. I know for a fact that even though the basic facts such as price, properties, etc. are real enough, the "story lines" are... ummm... let's just say they take "artistic license" with the "telling of the story". anyone can feel free to PM me for specific details.

Yes, that's what I was referring to.....the story lines and artistic license.

Thank you for saying it better than I did.

Also, it may not be happening in real time. They search for people who have purchased within the past 2 - 3 years, and then, apparently, tell the story. So, what you are seeing appears to be happening in real time, but actually, it happened (and the people already bought their home) 2 - 3 years prior.

Lindsey

Aug 19, 2004
So an edition whilst we were in Santo Domingo. Clearly heavily scripted and edited - decide a life changing decision on the basis of three homes?

No don't be taken in do your research and make sure it is right for you. A two week holiday is very different to actually living full time in a place.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
When you think about it, it makes sense to find someone who already has purchased and live in dr for a few years. It kind of guarantees the story has a happy ending.

FRANK E.

May 12, 2010
Maybe it's just me but everytime I watch HGTV's House Hunters International, there is an episode of people buying in DR.

Has anyone met any of these people and do you feel, DR is becoming more attractive or maybe I just saw some old repeats.

I record every episode of House Hunters International on my dvr. There have been 7 episodes about the DR since 2008. The shows are repeated regularly.
The shows peeked my interest, and I'm about to make my third trip in 10 months. I visited Puarto Plata, Cabarete, and am headed to Bavaro on the 5 March. There are some wonderful and not so wonderful condo communities out there. I have talked with expats and real estate agents and viewed several. The market is right for someone interested in moving there, but as most say, do your research first and foremost!
FRANK E.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010

Also, it may not be happening in real time. They search for people who have purchased within the past 2 - 3 years, and then, apparently, tell the story. So, what you are seeing appears to be happening in real time, but actually, it happened (and the people already bought their home) 2 - 3 years prior.

Lindsey

Interesting, kinda makes you think whats really happening behind every reality show.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
It's NEVER the show you get. It's the show you THINK you got.....perception is everything. And these creators, and producers, and directors know this. They push some serious buttons, all for effect. Hey I've seen the show. Makes you want to jump on the next plane and buy something.

All of these reality..(HA!)...shows, give advice, are tweaked, and sometimes rehearsed.

They care about one thing...RATINGS

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Interesting, kinda makes you think whats really happening behind every reality show.

not just behind reality shows... ALL shows.

production production production..... edit edit edit.... review for broadcast... edit edit edit.... review again... edit edit edit.... then you get to see the final product or at least something like that.

all those "reality shows" are heavily scripted, the people are not "real" in any sense we would consider real, they play character roles just as if it were a fiction program.... come to think of it, it IS fiction, isn't it??? lol

Reactions: rice&beans

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I know of a family, (relatives of a good friend), who were on house hunters, but the domestic version. They not only were filmed long after their purchase; but in that case, the other two properties were not ones they had actually considered. The "other choices" were homes of another family member and friends. LOL artistic license. LOL

ALSO... I'm certain they have edited and altered the content of at least one of the Punta Cana programs between the initial broadcast and the re-runs they are now playing. I'm not sure if it's just the narration or the video as well, but there have been minor refinements in what is said.

Being in visual communications myself, I'm not complaining or saying anything of what they do is wrong. They simply are producing a product for consumption. And yes... RATINGS RULE ALL. lol

Lindsey

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Yes, but the East Coast and Samana Peninsula have the sizzle factor just now.
Combination of glorious scenery, good year round temperature profile, very low running and every day costs, excellent Country and World Wide communications and hospitable people is a winner.
Yes the programs are 'faction' but I'm sure they don't deviate from finding satisfied movers in the first case. They are not out to have publicity from invention of happy people when the reality is that the people they focus on are finding the move a disaster.
I'm sure Captn will like me have a great time moving and enjoy the rich life DR has to offer.
Yanandu.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Buyer Beware!!! Dominican Republic's property rights are managed by Tribunal De Tierras, one of the most corrupt and inefficient government agencies and judges in the country, perhaps the world. Corruption is so rampant that for example all property titles in the East Coast, specially in the Higuey jurisdiction, Bavaro, Punta Cana and Uvero Alto are suspect until proven innocent. Likewise in the Northeast(Samana, Las Terrenas). There are major cases in court in both jurisdictions, including lands that the government itself has appropiated after being bought by foreigners and later the governments relents. A major case involved members of the Hache group, who lost a legal case. Another problem is buying properties acquired by politicians at bargain basement prices without bids, later sold only to be declared illegal sales by the next government's politicians. Squatters are guaranteed to invade your lands with government blessing if owners do not occupy it. Even if you leave a caretaker, they themselves will encourage squatters so they can cover up their own squatting rights. They aptly call themselves "padres de familia" to attract pity. Others use natural disasters as an excuse for squatting. I have a current case in my lands in Bani where an entire town of more than 500 people squatted and my court battle to get them evicted or purchase my land has been going for 10 years. Mansions have been built there with lots sold already 3 and 4 times. Illegal titles have been issued by Tribunal de Tierras, then you have to prove that your own deed is the right one. If you rent your property in absentia remember..Dominican law. protects the tenant, not the owner. Eviction takes months to years if you get lucky.