THE way to solve your computer problems - expat of the month award

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
A couple of days ago my laptop died. Dead. Couldn't load windows. Nada. Naturally I was in a total panic, but Whirleybird suggested I contact Marco at Rockys bar in Sosua. I did and he offered to look at it. It was a long drive to get there and I was not particularly hopeful but it was my only hope.

I was there for 5 hours. The operating system was knackered. He installed a new one - Windows 7 as opposed to Vista. He transferred all of my files across and made sure they all worked. Changed things from Works (which was crap anyway) to Word. Re installed all of my programmes plus some funky new ones. Cleaned up the desktop and added a great new bouncy toolbar. Changed loads of other things and speeded everything up. He also cleaned it.

Result. I had a slow, and not very good laptop. I now have a fantastic machine that looks and works like new.

Cost. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And what is more, if the machine had been unfixable he has loads of laptops there which he picks up at super low prices, so if you need a new lap top he can get you one for less than you would have to pay someone to bring it from the States.

Amazing and unbelievable service.

Thanks Whirleybird for the tip and thanks a million Marco.

Matilda

Reactions: Bronxboy

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Now DON'T go being nice to the fella Matilda - everyone will want to see him & get a piece of his action! Then where will I be when my system goes down for no apparent reason? The ONLY reason you got to see him so easily is because I have not been recommending him to ANYONE!!

I have bought 3 desktops from him over the years I have been friendly with him (there were days when we were not Thanks to a Flip-Flop Twit) & many a useful 'Thingamabob' he had noticed in the computer journals or on line - ALL were at excellent rates. The Good Lady got a netbook from him as her computer of choice to take to England this year (sadly she will not be using it) & just 3 weeks ago I got a HP laptop PRO he had seen at a stupid price on internet a few days earlier.

Happy & contented with the service???? I am ecstatic & refuse to pass on his name to anyone lest he stops having the time to look after MY computer needs. So if you read this DR1 members & are in need of a new computer or some maintenance of your existing one .......... please bypass Marco & go direct to PriceSmart or Ceducomp in Santiago where you will pay more PLUS you will get a much worse after-sales service. :ermm: :cheeky: ~ Grahame

Reactions: MaineGirl

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Me too!!

He did the same for me and found me a super deal on a touch screen laptop for my daughter, and son. Then he souped them up so that they are extraordinary fast. My old antiquated HP runs way better than new after the Marco touch.
We share the same problem, how to keep a lid on this!! Even though he is Canadian I second the vote for expat of the month. Can we get Robert to buy him a giant trophy or something??? He wont take money!!!!!!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Marco!

Marco.. is, was and will always be "THE" man. He has my vote! I really miss his posts!

Reactions: Bronxboy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is so funny!! I just got back from the North Coast. My son's HP was all messed up, the OS was corrupted by virus and it was a dog.

Originally, this machine had 256 RAM and the owners had XP with it. Vista came out so a "friend" loaded Vista on it. The Windows 7 came out and another friend loaded that on it too. It took about 10 minutes to boot up.

This guy I know took a look at it and said, "bring it to me". We did and he doubled the RAM and reinstalled the XP to factory + specs...ran like a top,,,,,until he got some viruses...

So, after looking at it again, we were instructed to "bring it to me". We embarked upon the pilgrimage to the North Coast, and after looking at the sorry thing, we got the verdict: "Come back, later". He installed 1 GB of RAM, Windows 7 and all the bells and whistles....even 3D!

Tomorrow I go to retrieve it....

Amazing, and stupifying...you cannot imagine....

And for another year, we have a servible laptop...with speed and modern OS.

Cordially,

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
....even 3D!

Tomorrow I go to retrieve it....
HB

Yeah ....... we all know why YOU want 3D!! You just LOVE to see the way grown men strike a defenceless little white ball ...............

You had better make a slight detour round this way or your name will be MUD for another 6 months!! 15 minutes for "A Cup Of Tea" (please bring your own crumpet & one extra for me) is all it will add on to your journey!

~ That BRIT fella up North! :pirate: ;)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
He's good with computers but look ... he's Canadian. Canadians are generally nice folks, down to earth etc. but really... well... so many of them have a lingering odor of herring (and they spell it odour). :cheeky:

Reactions: mike l

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I gave him a Mexican Burrito today so now he smells like..Cilantro?

Thanks again for the puter update

Last edited:
Reactions: Celt202

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I've purchased 1 HP desktop, 1 Asus e-machine and 1 HP PRO Book Laptop not counting quite a bit of paraphernalia from Marco in less than a year and couldn't be happier. Keeps everything running the best they can possibly be....Thanks Marco.
And I actually go there for the food.........Thanks Rick

B in Santiago

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
2 of my friends told me to buy a MAC and I did. Since then. NOT one problem, I dont even have or need and antivirus. Best advice I ever got... Take that window laptop and throw it in the garbage and just buy a MAC. Youll thank me later..

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I'm sure someone is developing a virus for the mac as we speak, people cant seem to agree on whether one needs an anti-virus program yet or not

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
There are plans to even develop some software for MACS.

Spoken like someone that has never used a Mac. hahaha

Name me one popular piece of Windows software that isn't on a Mac or doesn't have a Mac equivalent?

I don't know anyone that runs and anti-virus program on a Mac.
I don't know of one publication or Mac expert that strongly advices Mac users to run anti-virus software. I'm a 5 year Mac user and never had a virus or spyware issues, also we have lots of Mac's in the office with a similar track record.

Mac fanboy out! :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
2 of my friends told me to buy a MAC and I did. Since then. NOT one problem, I dont even have or need and antivirus. Best advice I ever got... Take that window laptop and throw it in the garbage and just buy a MAC. Youll thank me later..

Once you go Mac, you never go back :)

I know many people that have switched and in love with Mac's.
I don't know a single person that has switched back or switched from a Mac to PC.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I have both (PC and Mac), one thing I have noticed is that I get a ton of pop ups on the Mac lately. Now I am using the 2009 image and refuse to update until my grad work is done (fearful of losing data even though I try to push it all to the cloud).

Ipad here I come. Once the hard work is done and all I have to do all day is read content.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have both (PC and Mac), one thing I have noticed is that I get a ton of pop ups on the Mac lately. Now I am using the 2009 image and refuse to update until my grad work is done (fearful of losing data even though I try to push it all to the cloud).

Ipad here I come. Once the hard work is done and all I have to do all day is read content.

Pop ups from what? I'm 99% sure it's not spyware, it's more your surfing habits or if you have installed any tool bars etc.

Just block them in your browser, Safari, Firefox, Chrome etc all offer the option.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You are going to get pop-ups from those sites regardless of what you are using.
Just block them in the browser, it's quick and effective.

Ana_La_Vida

Nov 13, 2010
Didn't want to start new thread

Is it possible to find a person at Santo Domingo who knows how to deal with MAC problems?

The problem is that airport at laptop MAC seems to be having some difficulties to connect...and with standart advices that gives MAC advisor I can not solve anything.
Laptop with windows connects to the same network easily.

Thanx :)