Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Brother Passed Away Yesterday

My brother who was residing in Samana passsed away the day before yesterday. His ex-wife showed up the same day at his house (she doesn't live there) going through his belongings but a friend of my brother was there and stopped her. My brother was divorced from this Dominican woman and has a child together with her.(She has the custody).

I don't really know much about the circumstances only that I would imagine the child would inherit together with my brothers daughter from a previous marriage. I don't imagine the mother of the boy can have any claim to the papers of his house (the deed). I also believe there may be a will leaving my eldest brther in the States as an executor of the will. The deceased had been in bad health for some time and was not totally unprepared, even though we think that he may not have received adecuate care in the small town he lived.

Right now everything seems to be a big mess, my other brother is preparing to travel to DR together with my niece to take care of the funeral arrangements (probably cremation) and the legal matters. None of them speak any Spanish, though (I do but I can't travel at this time). I suppose there'll be English-speaking lawyers to help them sort put the problem.

I'd be very grateful for any information on this matter.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions in the legal section has an office in Samana. There are other lawyers there, and some no doubt speak English, but I would highly recommend that your family use the Guzman office. You can trust them to work for you. I presently live in Sosua, but lived in Samana for 15 years and I can tell you that the legal system there is not like in the rest of the country. Tell your family to use only the Guzman office in Samana.

I believe the lawyer in charge of the office is still Reuben Garcia. I know him and trust him.

The telephone for the Samana office is 809-538-3288 and fax 809-538-3289. The office is on the main street facing the bay/harbor. I suggest you contact them right away to get things started even before you get there. Best way to protect your rights in Samana is to get a trustworthy attorney on the job right away.

Very sorry about your brother.
    Last edited by Ken; 02-27-2011 at 01:37 PM.

3. Likes frank12 liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% with what Ken posted.

Also make sure his ex-wife does not get any access, she will strip the place, that I'm sure of.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your loss.

I agree with Ken and Mr Guzman has other English speaking lawyers in the office.

Here's the link for you http://www.drlawyer.com/

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Ken et al for your advice and the names and telephone numbers! I will now forward this information to my other brother who will travel there and also to a friend who is down there.
    Yes, the ex-wife and some of her relatives showed up at his doorstep almost instantly after his death. I suppose that's what they would do there.

Another thing that I found out today is that they had performed an autopsy but would not divulge the results to a foreigner! Certainly if a daughter, for example, showed up and asked they would have to tell her, no matter her nationality?

Once more, thank you all.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tia View Post
    Yes, the ex-wife and some of her relatives showed up at his doorstep almost instantly after his death. I suppose that's what they would do there.

Another thing that I found out today is that they had performed an autopsy but would not divulge the results to a foreigner! Certainly if a daughter, for example, showed up and asked they would have to tell her, no matter her nationality?
    These are examples of why you need to contact the Guzman office in Samana tomorrow and get them on the case. As Robert has indicated, if you don't have somebody on your side immediately looking out for your interests, there may not be much left except the remains when your brother gets there.

Your lawyer can certainly get the autopsy results for you.

Comtact the office in Samana tomorrow morning.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much.
    it looks like the friend down there has already contacted a lawyer; however, I have forwarded all information and recómmendations to him. I feel a little more at ease now.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tia View Post
    Thank you very much.
    it looks like the friend down there has already contacted a lawyer; however, I have forwarded all information and recómmendations to him. I feel a little more at ease now.
    There are a lot of lawyers in Samana but it is your family that is involved. It is up to you, of course, but if it were me, I would want to be sure the lawyer representing my interests was the one I wanted. I know you can trust the Guzman office to represent you and only your interests.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The services of the Guzman Brothers have now been engaged and my niece in Florida seems to be the one in charge. The information I was able to obtain from this board (ken,others) has been instrumental in getting things a little bit more organized. It's probably too late now to salvage any of his belongings from being stolen from the house but then again, that may not be a big issue.

DR1 Expert
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure we have been retained for this matter. The "Guzman brothers'" are not members of the Guzman Ariza law firm. There are two brothers, both lawyers, whose last name is also Guzman, who practice in the area.
    Fabio J. Guzman
    Guzman Ariza
    Attorneys-at-Law
    Sosúa, Santo Domingo, San Francisco de Macorís, Cabrera
    Las Terrenas, Samaná, Bávaro (Punta Cana) and La Romana
    Dominican Republic

[email protected]

Website

The opinion above should not be construed to be formal legal advice and was given without reviewing the facts and documents pertinent to the case. The reader should NOT act based upon this opinion without seeking professional counsel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast