Get off your butts and come to Santiago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks, I just spent five hours wandering around the new and old exhibits at Centro Le?n.

This place has gone all out to provide something you just do not see in little places in second cities in "developing countries": Picasso, Mir?, Matisse, Calder and others in a calm, beautiful setting.

This joint project between the Patricial Phelps de Cisneros Foundation and Centro Le?n really deserves to be swamped every day. They are open Tuesday through Sunday. On Tuesday, students are free!! Adults 100 pesos.

And they have completely revamped their permanent exhibition. Much less crowded and full of stuff. I enjoyed seeing the section devoted to people I know: the Grupo Fiordano, young students back in the 70s, old masters now.

Please take a bus to Santiago, Caribe Tours is fine. A short RD$125 taxi ride to Centro Leon. Two hours of strolling around air conditioned comfort to enjoy some really interesting art, and if you have never been, please go into the Anthropological sector...

Then lunch in the cafeteria where the beers are ice cold, Ice tea and other tasties are available, and the food is outstanding. Desserts are fattening and oh so good!!

They have guides in any language except Newfie...I think...

And the gift shop features top of the line local items, nothing chintzy..

HB, really impressed!!

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes very nice museum. Great Art exhibit and very good anthropology displays. It was interesting that in the Dominican store exhibit that one girl from grade seven in Yris's school knew and has used all the old-time implements and tools. Most of the rest had never seen any of the implements or kitchen tools...etc. Well worth going to.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
HB,

What is the address and what is it near for those of us who drive over?

Also is it open on the weekends?

Thanks

Bob K

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
here ya go

Centro Le?n

• Direcci?n:
Centro Cultural Eduardo Le?n Jimenes
Apartado Postal 799
Av. 27 de Febrero No. 146
Villa Progreso
Santiago de los Caballeros, Rep?blica Dominicana.
Tel?fono: (809) 582-2315
Fax: (809) 724-7644
E-mail: centroleon@centroleon.org.do
Ver mapa de ubicaci?n

• Horarios:
Oficinas
Lunes a viernes
08:30 a.m. - 06:00 p.m.

Exposiciones, Cafeter?a y Tienda
Martes a domingo
10:00 a.m. - 07:00 p.m.

Mediateca
Martes a s?bado
10:00 a.m. - 07:00 p.m.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dr. Bob: Like I said in the edit I did: Tuesday through Sunday earling morning to 7 p.m.

It is on 27 de Febrero in El Dorado section. To the east of the intersection with Nacional Supermarket and Supermercado Central, past the Banco Popular, about 3 kilometers-five minutes from the Caribe Tour station in Los Jardines...

If you come over the Jamao Road and turn right, you come to it on the left hand side, just after the third light as you come into Santiago through Tamboril...on 27 de Febrero..

HB

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I'll try to do a day trip next time I go to SD. Does Santiago have a good nightlife?

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Everyone is free on tuesdays, not just students and guided student groups are free too but you have to reserve in advance

nidiayjohn

May 20, 2010
Resident since 1982
Leon Center

If you have some spanish, ask for Awilda or Fifa. Awilda is an expert on carnival folklore (dances, masks etc), and Fifa is The expert on the paintings. Mention my name: John

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i'm taking my kiddies today.
gotta jump on the opportunities to show them this stuff since it only comes around occasionally in this country.