Puerto plata resort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achorn

Feb 27, 2011
I will be traveling with my husband to the Dominican Republic from 3/2/2011-3/15/2011. We will arrive in Santo Domingo, rent a car, stay there for a few days then drive North to Samana/Las Galeras. There, we are staying in a small bed and breakfast for 6 days. We are planning to drive next to Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete to stay for 4 days. Does anyone have a recomendation of an all inclusive resort in Puerto Plata area for a young couple? We want something that doesnt die down within early hours of the night, yet is still clean, comfortable and has a good variety of food to choose from. I have read good reviews on VH Victoria, but I am not sure of this one because it seems more for older couples who want to do nothing but relax on the beach, golf, eat food and go to bed early. We are a little bit more adventurous than that.
Any recomendations would be helpful, as I want to book within the next few days! Thanks.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
The Barcelo hotel is nice. Their buffet has many delicious choices and the a la carte restaurants are also very good. They have a disco on the beach that plays a good mix between typical dominican music (merengue, bachata, reggaton) and popular north american music. They have pool activities during the day, but the main pool is also large enough that you can stay away from the pool activities if you so please. If you're looking for a more typical North American style disco, in the playa dorada complex, right next to the Barcelo hotel, there is the plaza which has Coco Bongo disco (plays reggaton and regular dance music) and Roadway disco (which plays more reggaton and hip hop, but also mixes in a little merengue and popular music as well). However, the time you are going at will be right in the middle of March break so there will probably be a lot of partying teenagers around at that time, which is probably not your thing.

achorn

Feb 27, 2011
Thank you for your input about Barcelo, I am checking it out right now. It looks like a good place, they are even having a special right now. I am going to check out some reviews on it through trip advisor. Appreciate your help!

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Viva Wyndam Tangerine, Cabarete

This all-inclusive is on the beach, a short walk from the "action"and nightlife
of central Cabarete. I stayed here for a few days recently and was pleasantly
surprised. The resort staff are very nice and the food was pretty good.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Blue Bay resort in Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata would be perfect for you both. It is adult only so no little kids running around. It is a 5minute walk to several clubs at the plaza as well as restaurants and shops.

The food is good, it is recently renovated, clean and well taken care of.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I will be traveling with my husband to the Dominican Republic from 3/2/2011-3/15/2011. We will arrive in Santo Domingo, rent a car, stay there for a few days then drive North to Samana/Las Galeras. There, we are staying in a small bed and breakfast for 6 days. We are planning to drive next to Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete to stay for 4 days. Does anyone have a recomendation of an all inclusive resort in Puerto Plata area for a young couple? We want something that doesnt die down within early hours of the night, yet is still clean, comfortable and has a good variety of food to choose from. I have read good reviews on VH Victoria, but I am not sure of this one because it seems more for older couples who want to do nothing but relax on the beach, golf, eat food and go to bed early. We are a little bit more adventurous than that.
Any recomendations would be helpful, as I want to book within the next few days! Thanks.

Hi, I've stayed at Victoria and this is true. It's mainly geared toward older couples who want a quiet kid free relaxing holiday. It's located on the golf course rather than on the beach but it's only a 5 minute walk and they have complimentary shuttle service via golf cart. The sister hotel, VH Gran Ventana has all the action and is right on the beach. It's right next to Blue Bay and Barcelo so it has the same beach access and proximity to all the action like the disco (Coco Bongo...) and the shopping plaza etc. They have good food, nice pool and grounds and nightly shows that go on until around 11:00-12:00.

achorn

Feb 27, 2011
Thanks everyone for all the great feedback on resorts! I narrowed it down to Barcelo or Blue Bay (would have preferably picked Blue Bay but they have a 4 night minimum stay to book with them...we only want to stay 3 nights and 4 days total). So I booked with Barcelo. Hopefully it will be a good choice! If not, well at least we will only be staying for 3 days. We take off for our vacation tomorrow and I am really looking forward to discovering the DR and to get away from this freezing cold in Salt Lake City, Utah!

tinfo

Feb 4, 2011
Be a bit adventurous

Even if you are staying on the Playa Dorado access to the city is close, cheap and safe. From the front gate ( leisurely 10-15 minute walk from Barcelo) you can get a local bus (actually a much used mini-van) to the city for 15 pesos! You will join local people who will all greet you with a buenos dias when you enter. From the Playa Dorado take the "B" bus. The bus routes are displayed on the front of the bus -- the "C" goes by the aerial tramway up the mountain, the "F" goes by the university. BUT to the city insist on the "B" bus.
Keep in mind that the yellow-shirted guides at the front gate are on commissions from the souvenir shops that you will be guided to. If you want to get a real sense of the history of Puerto Plata stop by the Meeting Place, a non-profit volunteer initative that serves as a resource/info center for visitors to Puerto Plata. There is a website Meeting Place Puerto Plata, English books . It is located between central square and the beachfront and is on the "B" bus route at Calle 60 Juan Bosch

SusanaCA

Mar 27, 2011
tinfo - thanks so much. I am staying at Barcelo in June and look forward to moving around on the local bus. really valuable info. Much appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.