Where i can change the body of Toshiba laptop?

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I own my laptop for about 5 years and the plastic body is cracked in many places (bottom one), mostly from overheating i guess. Now it crackes so much so it cant stay open :(

Laptop is working fine, just need new plastic body and may be some cleaning and change fans.

Where in POP area it can be done? May be Santiago (but has to be done in one same day)?

Thanks!

It is Toshiba A200.

Feb 7, 2007
Do you say your screen hinges are broken? The hinges are the screws that are holding the screen together to the frame.... is that is the case, you can most likely buy replacement ones on ebay (search for "a200 hinges" came up with several results).

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Yeah because my little daughter can use it, and it works as new, why should i throw it away? I plan of buying all-in-one desktop but for now i use what i have. Its not only that piece that holds screen and base together, base plastic is broken in few places.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
It's not just the parts, make sure you have someone experienced enough with laptops who can make the change for you. Many people will tell you they can and yours will be their first attempt.........

B in Santiago

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
I want to know where to fix a laptop too, in santiago. Mine is an hp, the screen is messed up sometimes and the dvd player doesn't work at all, it doesn't open, I don't know if it can be fixed. mine is only 2 years old

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I want to know where to fix a laptop too, in santiago. Mine is an hp, the screen is messed up sometimes and the dvd player doesn't work at all, it doesn't open, I don't know if it can be fixed. mine is only 2 years old
Try ASI on Bartolo Colon, across the street from the old airport.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

Thats what happens when people carry their laptops a lot from places to places and slam the carrying bag from side to side with laptop inside. Its the casing with tight fitting inside so when you slam the laptop onto something you will bend the connectors inside (example- DVD).
i fix my own laptops from parts bought on Ebay.
AZB

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
Thats what happens when people carry their laptops a lot from places to places and slam the carrying bag from side to side with laptop inside. Its the casing with tight fitting inside so when you slam the laptop onto something you will bend the connectors inside (example- DVD).
i fix my own laptops from parts bought on Ebay.
AZB
Actually I am very careful with my laptop and don't slam it or drop it. This started happening a few months after I got it, and I had never carried it around, it was always setting on a table. Like my screen is fine right now, and without moving it lines will run through it. I don't know how to explain it, but they shake all over the screen, and the whole image goes up and down a little. Also, since the beginning my computer hybernates at 60% 59% or 50%, my laptop thinks it's dying, and shows the battery as if it is dead, when I turn it back on it's fine. I have one of those batteries that last twice as long, and it's big so my laptop doesn't sit flat on a surface, which is nice. and no, none of the settings are set to hybernate at 50%, only at critical battery level, 3%

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
oh, also the dvd player problem is because I put in a dvd with a sticker printed label on top. and also, the wire underneath got bent, I don't understand why it was sticking out when I would close it, I had tried pushing it back in but it didn't work. I don't know if that wire can be replaced.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Actually I am very careful with my laptop and don't slam it or drop it. This started happening a few months after I got it, and I had never carried it around, it was always setting on a table. Like my screen is fine right now, and without moving it lines will run through it. I don't know how to explain it, but they shake all over the screen, and the whole image goes up and down a little. Also, since the beginning my computer hybernates at 60% 59% or 50%, my laptop thinks it's dying, and shows the battery as if it is dead, when I turn it back on it's fine. I have one of those batteries that last twice as long, and it's big so my laptop doesn't sit flat on a surface, which is nice. and no, none of the settings are set to hybernate at 50%, only at critical battery level, 3%

After a year or so, the laptop battery begins to act up and usually loses more than 50% of its charge potential. You have had your laptop for 2 yrs? Ummm
ok, send me a PM on friday so we can see how you can arrange to drop off your laptop to me. I am the secret Rocky of santiago, except I fix laptops when I am in good mood. Let me see what i can do for you.
AZB

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
After a year or so, the laptop battery begins to act up and usually loses more than 50% of its charge potential. You have had your laptop for 2 yrs? Ummm
ok, send me a PM on friday so we can see how you can arrange to drop off your laptop to me. I am the secret Rocky of santiago, except I fix laptops when I am in good mood. Let me see what i can do for you.
AZB
My battery has been like this since I first got it, brand new. It works good, and lasts a long time, but the laptop thinks it dies at 50%. Hp dv5-1235dx laptops all seems to have this problem, but I'm more worried about the screen :(

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My battery has been like this since I first got it, brand new. It works good, and lasts a long time, but the laptop thinks it dies at 50%. Hp dv5-1235dx laptops all seems to have this problem, but I'm more worried about the screen :(

like I said, contact me and lets see what we could fix on the laptop. It maybe an easy fix. I am famous for fixing problems with my famous home-invented ghetto fixes.
AZB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

I have an HP Pavilion also, and your Power Management settings may be set wrong. I have mine set at Portable/Laptop and the standard battery lasts about 90 minutes.
Also there is the critical battery level and battery alert level. You may have he critical level set at 3% but what is the battery alert level set at? I set the battery level on mine at 10% and the critical level at 7%. At 7% it automatically hibernates.

And your screen is LCD so if there are problems, and I had what you had, it was either the connection at the back of the screen AND the power inverter at the base of the screen. I actually dropped the computer a few years ago and broke the screen. Luckily I had a Lenovo C200 with the same size screen, 15.4", that I disassembled and installed it, worked perfectly as I am writing you on it right now.

AZB is right. Ebay has many nice parts for the HPs. I got a DVDR drive, a 1G RAM chip and the power inverter for the monitor there. Everything minus the inverter was about $30. Next is the HDD and another RAM Chip(Never knew the thing has 2 slots for 2 chips. I have had this thing for 5 years and it had the same 256 chip in it. Crazy)

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
I have an HP Pavilion also, and your Power Management settings may be set wrong. I have mine set at Portable/Laptop and the standard battery lasts about 90 minutes.
Also there is the critical battery level and battery alert level. You may have he critical level set at 3% but what is the battery alert level set at? I set the battery level on mine at 10% and the critical level at 7%. At 7% it automatically hibernates.

My critical battery level is set at 3%, low battery at 10% and set to notify me, and it's set to sleep at critical battery level. I get no notification and it goes to sleep from 60% to 50%, and it does it more than once but sometimes only one time, and even though it's set to sleep it will still hibernate sometimes. when i turn it back on it shows that my battery level is at 3% and then goes back to 50%