bathing in the caribean sea

I

Isah Thomson Caps

First time visiting the island. Are bathing suits required in the southeast area of the island or is natural bathing not customarily accepted? In europe women bath toppless. In norway they bathe natural or "in the nude". What is the custome in DR? thanks

B

Bill

I have also heard that there is a lot of totally nude both men and women. What is the need? Do they really feel great about being nude in front of the rest of the world? I will be at the Catalonia Bavaro Feb 7 and I expect to rest and relax on the beautiful beaches and by the pool. If there is a law, how can it be enforced? Nudity has its place....

J

Jodi

Bathing suits are required on all public beaches in the Dominican. That includes the top half of the swimsuit. Yes it is true that a lot of women sunbathe topless there. I think it is rude and ignorant to so blatently disrespect the laws and customs of any country.

S

Susan

It seems quite simple really. If you are on a beach where the majority of people have on a swimsuit then obviously that is the custom on that beach. If you then wish to take all your clothes off you are just an exhibitionist who wants everyone to look at you. Why can't people just have a sense of decency and decorum?

N

Norman

Most resorts in the DR tolerate topless sunbathing for women on their beaches. It is not permitted on public beaches. I have heard rumours that nude beaches exist, but have never seen one. In theory all beaches here are public, but some resorts prevent locals from entering their beach because of security reasons. At least one resort that I know of prohibits topless sunbathing in their pool area.

In 10 years here, I have never seen a topless or nude Dominican on any beach in the DR.

B

Bill

Isah:

Sounds like you were asking a simple question and touched a nerve or something. Most of the guests at the DR beach resorts which I have visited (in Puerto Plata on the north and Punta Cana on the east) are Europeans and as such are used to topless sunbathing. Toplessness is fairly common on the beaches at these resorts (10-30%) but not as common as on the French Islands like St. Martin (where there are also nude areas). I'd recommend seeing what the other guests are doing and "go with the flow".

Bill

G

Garry

Last week I posted a message wondering why we have to wear long pants at the resort buffets. A number of people wrote back flaming me. Suggesting that it is Dominican custom to wear long pants. That when I go to another country I should respect their customs and their their culture. This I do beleive, (although i was wondering about the resort policy and their buffet dinner rules). They went on to explain that I wouldn't go to a fancy restaurant in my country with shorts, Although in our resort areas in the summer we dress for the weather. Come as you are. As long as its clean and decent. But when it comes to nudity on the beaches its "Do as the Europeans do". Seems to be a double standard here??? Although a womens breast is more appealing to look at than a mans hairy leg!!! (Now don't everyone get all upset. Just adding a little humorous post to this otherwise redundant issue)

S

Susan

Hey Dude: After all the commotion you caused last week you've got guts!! Keep it up!!