Punch Sports Bar & Grill- Santo Domingo Este

Gypsyng

Feb 19, 2011
Located in Lucerna, I have tried this spot almost every weekend and the food is great (good prices, not as cheap as a cafeteria, but quality and portion is very good).

Beer is cold, TVs for games that are on and good music (sometimes a little too loud). Friendly staff and appears that they have a decent wine bar hidden in the back. Ideal place for a "Happy Hour" after work.

This past weekend they started Karaoke and I believe they will have a contest to win $$$. Not sure of the details :(

It is next door to Supermercado Cumbre on Blvd Pedro J. Lama (kind of hidden) but look for the giant Presidente sign across the street if driving East.

Check it out!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are kidding, right? Me? Go to Santo Domingo East? Where gangs of children killed 7 taxi drivers for money for sex and drugs? Where drugs are #1 and the cops and everyone else are as corrupt as a cesspool>? Where guys were killed and then the bodies burned and left out in plain sight. Where there is at least a body a day? Yeah, right...

HB, just a wee bit cautious...

Gypsyng

Feb 19, 2011
Santo Domingo East

Hi Hillbilly,
Not everyone lives in Bella Vista or Punta Cana. For those of us that do live on "this side" of Santo Domingo, we like to support a proper establishments such as "Punch".

As for crime and corruption, take a look on any block of DR. Let's be real...crime is everywhere here...one should watch their back wherever they are.
I guess I have been lucky not to see any of the "bodies" you are talking about...hell, you make it sound like a war zone which is not the case. I have lived in some rough places worldwide and this does not even measure to some places I lived in California (crime wise). Again, I guess I am lucky to know not to trust too many people and to watch my back (wherever I am).

Not cool to be painting such a desolate picture of someplace you do not live or sound like you know much about. But hey, everyone is entitled to "their opinion" and that is all I was saying about Punch Sports Bar & Grill in the original post.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can congratulate you on giving a good recommendation on a place in East Sto Dgo. That is all well and good.

But, let's face it. East Santo Domingo is the pits. It is on the 'wrong side' of the river, and it certainly seems to garner more than its fair share of headlines. Gangs, drugs, family violence, mixed in with some of the poorest of the poor barrios in Greater Santo Domingo, do not make for attracting Tourists. That is why San Souci is so isolated from the general population, can't have the tourists seeing the real lifestyle there.

All that said, sure you can live there. I have, indeed. However, it is doubtful that I would do it again by choice...But I meant no offense, really, and yes, it can get nasty in wonderful places like La Vega or Bonao...or San Juan de la Maguana.

HB

philio

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the info.! I'm always looking for new places to check out in the area, this seems like a really great place with a nice laid back atmosphere!

Gypsyng

Feb 19, 2011
Hey Everyone,
I agree with jalencastro and think it was best said "to each their own". No offense taken Hillbilly, it was just like you were making East SD sound like it is compared to Philadelphia crime (just kidding).
Anyways, not pointing tourists to Punch Sports Bar, but more of the locals in this area that may read DR1.
All good everyone...have a good weekend!