income tax return cashing

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It apears they are getting harder to cash nowadays. I had to open an account at Banco Popular because no cambio houses would do it.

Reactions: Bronxboy

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
It is a shame that the united states government can cash all my checks but I cannot cash one of their checks. Is there something the banking institutions know that we do not know. I contacted the embassy and no one knows how to cash such a check in the whole country of the Dominican Republic. They told me it was my personal problem do not dcontact them on this matter again. If I owed them money they would come get me though.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Open a US Dollars account, I personally know that BHD and Banco Popular both have them [and probably many others do too], and just deposit it. It will clear in a couple of weeks.

One thing that aggravated us this last trip is that whenever we withdrew money from our US Dollar account the bank never had dollars - we had to take pesos. Not once - every time.

AE

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As Alterego and I said, they can be cashed at Banco Popular and take about 3 weeks to clear. It does need to be a dollar account of course and in fact I have my 2009 IRS check clearing now.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have accounts US and Peso at Banco Santa Cruz and Banco Leon. if or when I deposit a check, regardless of whose check it is, it clears my NY bank in 3 days and takes about 30 business days to clear here, but it can be deposited without any problem.

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
Bank of Leon will not accept and I have a dollar account there. Banco Popular does not accept I have a dollar account there. Simply the us government has changed things that no one wants a treasury check from the irs or social security anymore. I can can any other check I want but my government has made it impossible to cash they're checks. The bankers here tell me it is a political thing.

Last edited: