How to live in the cheapest way in Punta Cana

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Hi everybody there!
This is my first thread here.
I hope this thread can be helpful for everybody.
Im moving to Punta Cana (Bavaro in fact) this year. I have seen that things are overpriced there, any of them, due to be a touristic area.
My question is where to buy absolutely everything there in the cheapest way:

Furniture
Electronics (TV, DVD, ...)
Kitchen stuff (Freezer, washing machine, cooking machine, ...)
Food
Where to have lunch or dinner (no touristic, overpriced places)
Where to have some fun at weekend (some beers, music)

Wondering if all of that must be bought should be in Higuey as I have been said instead of Bavaro, or maybe as the area is growing fast, there are more places to choose from and prices start to be competitive and more "dominican ones".

Feel free to add anything to the list! Thanks so much!

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Electronics - best to go to the capital.
Also I think kitchen stuff. Plaza Lama and others have island wide delivery and this works. Although after-sales service, warranty is variable in DR it is definitely better with the big stores.
There is also a wide selection in the capital. Often you will save the delivery price on shopping in the capital.
Furniture is worth a look there too.
Some stores have assistants with good English but you may have to wait.
Go at quiet time early morning, not sat.
Or import TV, electronics via CPS. Low charges for items under 200 dollars and not weighing to much.
Yanandu

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
thanks for your reply.
You mean I can get all delivery free in SD if I negotiate it in the right way?
Cheers

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Buenos dias Yanandu, This is off topic but perhaps you can help me with two brief items.
1st. how do I start a new thread so that I don't interupt a topic. ???
2nd. can you tell me a estimated price to rent a large motor scooter or small motor cycle in the DR ? Just some ideas if possable and please forgive me for being off topic.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
You can start a new thread by going to the Forums - > topic ( e.g. living ) and clicking the new thread button.

Depending on period etc. small motor cycle hire starts at 500/day. Scooters rather more 1000 a day.

You will find them for hire mostly in tourist areas. Santo Domingo maybe not.

Yanandu

Yanandu

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I'm not sure of the latest policies of the stores - but 8 times out of 10 you will find it at much better price at the capital.
Better to arrange one delivery with everything.
You will find both cheaper Brazil etc. brands and international such as Samsung - good washing machines in my experience, Bosch refrigeration etc.
La Romana is the nearest major town. Maybe worth a look on the way to the capital.

Yanandu

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hi everybody there!
This is my first thread here.
I hope this thread can be helpful for everybody.
Im moving to Punta Cana (Bavaro in fact) this year. I have seen that things are overpriced there, any of them, due to be a touristic area.
My question is where to buy absolutely everything there in the cheapest way:

Furniture
Electronics (TV, DVD, ...)
Kitchen stuff (Freezer, washing machine, cooking machine, ...)
Food
Where to have lunch or dinner (no touristic, overpriced places)
Where to have some fun at weekend (some beers, music)

Wondering if all of that must be bought should be in Higuey as I have been said instead of Bavaro, or maybe as the area is growing fast, there are more places to choose from and prices start to be competitive and more "dominican ones".

Feel free to add anything to the list! Thanks so much!
There are several non-touristy areas in B?varo - like the town of Ver?n where there are businesses catering to locals, including restaurants and bars. As far as buying electronics and appliances small towns generally have less choice and prices are not always that good so it is worth travelling to Santo Domingo or La Romana where there are branches of the large department stores.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
You can get most of what you need in La Romana, which is half the distance compared with the capital. They now have a Plaza Llama in addition to the Jumbo and Iberia stores they already had. A couple of other local stores that have a selection of furniture and appliances as well.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
thanks for the replies.
Wondering if IKEA is a good option for getting the furniture. I want modern look furniture, dont know if that kind of furniture is more expensive in Dominican shops than at IKEA. By the way, unfortunately IKEA in DR is about 30% more expensive than in Europe ... :(

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
thanks for the replies.
Wondering if IKEA is a good option for getting the furniture. I want modern look furniture, dont know if that kind of furniture is more expensive in Dominican shops than at IKEA. By the way, unfortunately IKEA in DR is about 30% more expensive than in Europe ... :(

Ikea Santo Domingo averages TWICE the price of the stores in U.S. (80% to 120% more)