Need help understanding the aftermath of an accident

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I was just at local market getting ready to leave when an accident between a Dominican woman in a Jeep Cherokee and a motoconcho with a female passenger. I didn't witness the accident but noticed it from inside the market right after it happened.

As I observed, the driver was still attempting to park the car in front of the market, the female passenger was on the ground bleeding and obviously in pain. She appeared to have a head injury. What is strange is that the driver of the car was attempting to squeeze her car into a small spot in front of the market right next to the bleeding girl on the ground. I don't know why she didn't just leave the car where it was and tend to the accident victim. She got the car parked, got out and entered the market, ignoring the victim and the bystanders. Almost immediately there seemed to form 2 groups. Those supporting the driver of the Jeep and those tending to the girl on the ground. A man stood in the doorway of the market exchanging words with the driver. She was yelling quite loudly and then started making a phone call.

She seemed to have no regard for the girl lying bleeding on the ground. I found this very odd. And it seems a little weird that the bystanders sort of formed 2 groups.... this kind of Us vs. Them thing.

Why would the driver remove herself from the situation so rapidly and show such callousness toward the injured girl on the ground? Regardless of who was at fault, I would think if it were me I would have immediately jumped out and tended to the girl on the ground.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I am surprised she didn't just drive away, which is what most people would have done. The reason for that is, that if you tend to the victim you automatically show responsiblity and you will be the target of 1) the mob of motoconcho drivers that will come to the rescue of their friend 2) lawyers who will want to sue the 'rich' car owner on behalf of the poor motococho driver 3) any hospital bills that the motoconcho driver incurrs especially if you drive the victim to the hospital.

Whether the accident was the fault of the motoconcho or not, will not have any influence on the outcome of any of the above 3, which almost always, will always end up the responsbility of the person who had the car. If its a foreigner, then the amount times 5.

Avoiding responsibity is a major culture trait here. Nobody admits they were at fault or did something wrong.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I am surprised she didn't just drive away, which is what most people would have done. The reason for that is, that if you tend to the victim you automatically show responsiblity and you will be the target of 1) the mob of motoconcho drivers that will come to the rescue of their friend 2) lawyers who will want to sue the 'rich' car owner on behalf of the poor motococho driver 3) any hospital bills that the motoconcho driver incurrs especially if you drive the victim to the hospital.

Whether the accident was the fault of the motoconcho or not, will not have any influence on the outcome of any of the above 3, which almost always, will always end up the responsbility of the person who had the car. If its a foreigner, then the amount times 5.

Avoiding responsibity is a major culture trait here. Nobody admits they were at fault or did something wrong.

So true. That lady was probably on the phone with a brother/sister/father/uncle who happens to be a Major/Coronel/General of the police/military.

We really need to end this in DR, and start holding people responsible for their actions regardless of who they know. But as my parent's say, this corruption is what we inherited from Trujillo.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Ditto

Ditto .... Conch and Robert.
Driving is THE most dangerous thing foreigners do here IMO,
as we do it daily.
Used to drive faster....I've slowed it down.
Saves gas too. Buy full insurance, no cheapy, cheapy on that
one.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i second conchamn. the first rule is NOT TO STOP. even if your victim is cut is half. or maybe especially then. you drive directly to the police. on the way call your family, friends and a lawyer. DO NOT STOP.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
A few years ago, I shipped my car to the DR, so I used to drive everywhere. We were in PP one aft..(late) maybe 4:30..5:00 PM....main streets were very crowded, lot's of motos, cars etc. I was heading in the direction toward Costambar, Cofresi.

I pulled over to park to buy something...the passenger sitting directly behind me...(I was on the drivers side, his door was on the street side) opened the back door without looking behind him, and BAM!!!...........a motoconcho hit the door, and he went flying. I was like HOLY S--T!!!!!

Within seconds, a crowd started to form....he was bleeding, but he got up and was walking around dazed. I went over to him and apologized, and tried to comfort him...I looked at the CHAOS that was developing...I'm like....we are F----D!!!.... reached in my pocket and gave him....like $3700.00 Pesos, and stuffed it in his hand...apologized again...told my friends to GET IN THE CAR NOW!!! and got the F--K atta there....

I still remember him saying gracias...(with blood running down his face, and him limping) after I gave him money, and patting me on the back like he had just won the lottery. Really weird.

But that could've gotten REAL UGLY....REAL QUICK.....

Last edited:
Reactions: SantiagoDR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
i second conchamn. the first rule is NOT TO STOP. even if your victim is cut is half. or maybe especially then. you drive directly to the police. on the way call your family, friends and a lawyer. DO NOT STOP.

In Eygpt they told us if you ran over a kid or a woman you were safe but if you hit a camel you would be paying huge bucks.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
A few years ago, I shipped my car to the DR, so I used to drive everywhere. We were in PP one aft..(late) maybe 4:30..5:00 PM....main streets were very crowded, lot's of motos, cars etc. I was heading in the direction toward Costambar, Cofresi.

I pulled over to park to buy something...the passenger sitting directly behind me...(I was on the drivers side, his door was on the street side) opened the back door without looking behind him, and BAM!!!...........a motoconcho hit the door, and he went flying. I was like HOLY S--T!!!!!

Within seconds, a crowd started to form....he was bleeding, but he got up and was walking around dazed. I went over to him and apologized, and tried to comfort him...I looked at the CHAOS that was developing...I'm like....we are F----D!!!.... reached in my pocket and gave him....like $3700.00 Pesos, and stuffed it in his hand...apologized again...told my friends to GET IN THE CAR NOW!!! and got the F--K atta there....

I still remember him saying gracias...(with blood running down his face, and him limping) after I gave him money, and patting me on the back like he had just won the lottery. Really weird.

That was smart, $ 3,700. is nothing for you but a lot of money for the motoconcho guy. so he could have his injuries cured and a couple hundred pesos to calm down the pain drinking Presidente beers...

JJ

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Your initial instinct to see if the guy was ok was the right thing to do, kudos.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
In Eygpt they told us if you ran over a kid or a woman you were safe but if you hit a camel you would be paying huge bucks.

Hitting and killing a camel with your vehicle in Algeria will cost you a cool 1000Euros.

If you hit somebody in that part of the world, don't try to help them with CPR etc., because if they die in your arms, you're responsible and end up owing the family of the deceased big time $$$. It goes against everything I know is right, but ... keep driving. :ermm:

I will probably be tempted to do the same in DR but "knock on wood" until now I am accident free here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would like to remind everyone that turning away is not a sign of cold heart. in DR a crowd will form around an accident in seconds and god help you if you hit a motoconcho because other motor drivers will swarm over you like flies over ****. getting the hell outta there is a basic instinc of protecting oneself, remeber dominicans lynch "offenders" without a blink of a eye. your victim will be no better with you bending over them with your ohhs and ahhs.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
i would like to remind everyone that turning away is not a sign of cold heart. in DR a crowd will form around an accident in seconds and god help you if you hit a motoconcho because other motor drivers will swarm over you like flies over ****. getting the hell outta there is a basic instinc of protecting oneself, remeber dominicans lynch "offenders" without a blink of a eye. your victim will be no better with you bending over them with your ohhs and ahhs.

Well stated.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is one of the contradictions here that I struggle to understand and accept. On the one hand strangers will put themselves out for you, on the other hand - this.

Also the 'curiosos' who always crowd round a gory accident or incident, even if it prevents rescuers from saving lives.

A foreigner I knew when I first moved here had spent several years working on a community development project, practically going native, and he loved the country and its people. He witnessed an incident similar to the one described by the OP. It was a turning point for him that precipitated his decision to leave the DR.

But, how does one know until one is actually plunged into one of these situations? I was reading this article earlier and it made me wonder - if I'm ever in a similar situation, would I respond in the same way as the 'unsung heroes' or would it be a case of 'bystander apathy'?

BBC News - London bombings: unsung heroes of 7 July

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Another example...

I know this is not related to car accidents but this example does confirm the Dominican mentality as well....
When the young boy was stabbed in the neck in Sosua last year, my boyfriend told me a lot of people watched him die and stood by while the boy called out for help because if anyone touched him they could be accused of killing him and then arrested. The only way to get out of it might be to bribe the police with money.
I felt sick to my stomach when he told me this. He said don't help anyone personally because you might be accused of something you didn't do and then because I am a "gringa" I will be expected to pay a whole lot more to get out of the jam.
It's sad but seems to be the truth not just for Gringos but for Dominican as well. :cry:

E

engineerfg

So now for the $64,000 question?

Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

Is that woman driver a stupid selfish K.unt because she has to be to survive in this selfish Darwinian jungle full of K.unts? Or is this place a selfish Darwinian jungle because it's full of women like that who will calmly park their car when their victim is bleeding on the ground?

I feel this selfishness is the same that drives the filth level of public toilets in this country, and the bad selfish driving, and the fact that people will throw their garbage in a city park.

I want to say 'God save us' from these backwards mud creatures, but I'm a bloody atheist. So I guess we're all screwed!!

Reactions: waytogo

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I want to say 'God save us' from these backwards mud creatures, but I'm a bloody atheist. So I guess we're all screwed!!

Nice. Yeah like their are never any mob scenes at any British football games.

BTW, if you hate Domincans so much why are you still here?