Rattan furniture and wood tiles for outdoor terrace

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Hi friends!

I am moving to Punta Cana this year.

I have seen that putting some rattan furniture in a living room looks absolutely great and very caribbean style.

The bad thing is that any shop I have checked in Higuey or Friusa have very expensive rattan furniture and not the most cool designs ...
Does anyone know where I could buy rattan (or sinthetic one) furniture with really good prices? it does not matter if it is not in Punta Cana, I can move to SD or so ...

I am from Barcelona, Spain, and it is really odd for me to find same prices for that in DR than in Barcelona, when obviously an Spanish salary is three time a Dominican one, so I really dont understand some prices there in DR ...

I am also looking for a good shop that can put wood tiles in my terrace, again, with dominican prices, not touristic ones.

Thanks for your help folks!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Furniture, (like most consumer goods / especially imported), is expensive in the D.R. For example, in the IKEA store in S.D., the prices average double what they are in the U.S. stores. IKEA is an international store, (obviously), and all of their products are imported to all of their stores ... so the "everything is imported" excuse doesn't stand up. The prices are a fact of life. Also, I might suggest some kind of ceramic, or better yet coral stone tiles for your terrace. That's what's put on most that I've seen, and what is on the terrace of my new condo. Wood is difficult to keep in good condition in exterior environments. (Anyone with a boat will agree.)

I'd also suggest that you try out the furniture before buying it. I rented a condo for a week's vacation last month, and the furniture in that place looked fine but was TOTALLY uncomfortable... it SUCKED. There wasn't a comfortable place to sit in that damn place... I ended up using a little folding beach chair to sit in the living room.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Your best bet is to go into Santa Domingo...you will find better selections and a little better pricing than that in Bavaro-Higuey-Fruisa....IKEA SDO also ships to the Punta Cana area with a minimum purchase...;) Either way you are unfortunately going to pay more being everything is imported..

I would also concur with CaptnGlenn that wood is NOT the best option in this climate, natural tile or stone will be much easier to maintain over the years, humidity is not woods friend....welcome to the neighborhood...best of luck to you and Happy Shopping;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Isn't Navarette the place where all the wicker/Rattan furniture is made.??

Its quite a distance from Punta Cana.....

Illumel in SDQ has a big sale thios time of year.....we were there y'day and most things were 50% off.... not cheap , but 1/2 off:tired:

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
In the capital i have seen tiles that are made to look like wood. There is an outfit called Saona in the industrial zone of Herrera who either makes or carries outdoor furniture, I saw aome in simulated rattan. Looked like home depo type.

Adrew

Jul 19, 2011
Do not worry my dear,
in this time one name in my mind,where you can be buy in different designs and comparatively inexpensive.
Illumel in SDQ,is the best place for it.Must visit in there.

Aug 4, 2011
Is simulated rattan more stronger than the natural kind , I have a lot of wear on my seat area and it needs to be strengthened every two year .I think maybe simulated would be stronger, have you experienced with seating.I have it on my portico but is covered from wetting but still its bottom rots

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"synthetic" lasts forever!! EVEN in the DR!!
Trouble is,in the DR, it is hard to find,and when you do,they want 10 times what it costs in "Walmart"!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE WEAR ON YOUR "SEAT"!!!

Care to tell us WHY???

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Inow, "GET" your name!
I see thet you are a "CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC" too!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is simulated rattan more stronger than the natural kind , I have a lot of wear on my seat area and it needs to be strengthened every two year .I think maybe simulated would be stronger, have you experienced with seating.I have it on my portico but is covered from wetting but still its bottom rots

Yes, the simulated (plastico) is stronger, lasts longer and is weather resistant

Status
Not open for further replies.