Where to live? Young couple with not kids seeking beach residence

carlosdasilva3

Mar 2, 2011
Hi,

I am new to the Forum and my name is Carlos. I am originally Portugal and I am an academic researcher. Given the flexibility I have with my work, the only tool I need is my computer and Internet.

Given my monthly income from my research activities, me and my girlfriend are planning on moving to the DR for a period of 4 to 6 months. Our plan is to learn Spanish (we both speak Portuguese so we already understand well Spanish) 3 mornings per week and take some afternoons to spend time together on the beach. We will also try to integrate among locals and join classes such as Salsa Dance.

Given that we are not looking for heavy party places, neither expensive restaurants (we cook home mostly) and we want to learn Spanish, what location would you recommend us to look for an apartment? The only condition is having beautiful beaches at walking distance, internet connection and possibly a market close by to buy food.

We are quite a humble couple and therefore we would like to take this opportunity to let go of the constant stress of the city we live in, spend time together. Most of my research projects will be done by the time so I will have a lot of free time to enjoy life.

We are seeking an apartment with 1 or max. 2 bedrooms at a walking distance from the beach, with internet and a swimming pool (can be shared pool). We also seek a place that is safe for us to live comfortably out of worries.

Let me know what you would recommend and in your opinion what budget in average would I need for such lifestyle in that specific locations.

Looking forward to hear your opinion.

Carlos

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Las Terrenas could be on your list.
10,000 - 15,000 would be budget per month for 3-6 months rental of studio or 1 bedroom depending on location.
Thereafter simple food to cook 10 dollars a day for 2 people.
Restaurant meals start at 100 pesos.
Internet is available in many locations.
There are many beautiful beaches.
Best beaches Dominican Republic l Caribbean l Samana l Las Terrenas | Las Terrenas Villa Rental
French style supermarket and local produce markets are available.
There are salsa lessons in groups or individual and Spanish lessons.
Everything is within walking distance.
Somewhere like fata mongano is quite nice and clean, has cooking, internet but without swimming pool while setting up and not too expensive.
http://www.fatamorganalasterrenas.com/About_Us.html
Can be booked in advance.
Maybe other people have other suggestions.
From Santo Domingo its about 3 hours by coach and 400-500 per person allowing for moto conchos etc.
Yanandu

Yanandu

Last edited:

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I don't remember Cabrera having beachside residences but I could be wrong!
Yanandu

carlosdasilva3

Mar 2, 2011
Hi,

Yanandu, thanks for the tips and suggestion. I am having a look and it seems interesting indeed.

Cabrera seems also a nice location at first sight :) Could you please let me know more about your experience with such place?

What would be the budget for my lifestyle in a nice apartment at a walking distance from the sea with swimming pool and necessarily a good internet connection?

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Depends to some extent on when you arrive. After easter is low season and there are many apartments to let. 50 sq. metre could start at 8000, a little over 200 dollars.
Electricity will most times be extra 1000 month, gas 200 for cooking, drinking water 250-400 month.
Home cooking you can expect to spend 1.5 dollars a meal per person on average for main meal and perhaps 1 dollar for second meal, coffee, sandwich etc.
Most times walking is OK.
Restaurant meals start 100 pesos.
Internet may be charged 1000 month or so sharing.
Large beer is 2.5 dollars location or 1.5 dollars from supermarket.
Wine is from 150 pesos.
Lessons etc. do not have up to date prices. Depends if you can join a group.
Night club drinks could be 100-150 pesos for local drinks.
If you hire a motorcycle odd days 800 pesos.
Travel / medical insurance may be advisable.
Kiteboarding lessons etc. could run to 1000 pesos a session.
With luck with the apartment you could get by on 400-600 dollars a month for 2 people with low cost activities - walking on the beach, swimming, snorkeling, kitesurfing with your own board etc.
Rum for cocktails at home with friends starts at just over 5 dollars a bottle. Whiskey and imported drinks 12 dollars a bottle, wine starts 4 dollars a bottle.
If you want to eat at beachside restaurants large pizza starts at 250 pesos.
Fresh local fruit is not expensive. Large pineapple maybe 1.25 dollars, paw paw similar.
Really depends on lifestyle.
5 large beers at nightclub could set you back 20 dollars but no entrance charge normally except if special group playing then 12 dollars entrance - but this is seldom.
Champagne at top nightclub could be 150 dollars plus. Top restaurant meal 27 - 45 dollars a person. Excursion 50 dollars + with lunch, boat trip, drinks etc.
Yanandu.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
To the OP...... Please do NOT accept all of yanadu's figures as accurate at face value. While he/she has provided some interesting input into the board and it may be POSSIBLE to get SOME of those things at those prices if you look long enough, are fortunate, and your standards are not very high, the consensus of most of the people on this board who live in the DR has been that he/she is way to optomistic when it comes to how much it actually costs a non-dominican to live in the DR. That would be especially true if you want to be on or near the beach.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Standards are good.

Prices are about right.

Have these posters ever bought anything in Las Terrenas?

You will see adverts from 8000 for apartments in LT7.

Yanandu

carlosdasilva3

Mar 2, 2011
Thank you for such details and descriptions. I really appreciate it.

Indeed if someone is living in a place for a while, that person probably knows where to get the best deals, etc... I think in the medium run it may happen to any person living in a certain region.

Concerning the best spot for my case, would Cabrera be more appropriate?

What do you sweetdbt recommend based on your opinion and experience with the DR?

Any other suggestions and comments?

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Cabrera Slideshow | TripAdvisor
Another option is live slightly out in the hills and use a motorcycle or cycle. Motorcycles are 800 $ new so often can be picked up for $300.
Over 20 weeks this is 60 dollars a month - but chances are it can be sold again.
It is then available for trips out.
Yanandu.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, no matter where you live you will need about 1000 dollars a month for a decent life (ok apartment, bills, food, some entertainment). 1500 per two people, more or less, i guess. we are talking gringo standards here: electricity, water, clean neighborhood, nice food.
your single biggest problem will be the internet. the best you can get in DR is bad and expensive. and sometimes it just goes.
make sure the place you rent has an inversor and/or working generator because power cuts are common here and you need some backup. it will be a good idea to get a UPS for your computer/modem so that you are always safe.

i would suggest you should look at southern locations, close to santo domingo (which is best for travelling out of the country, shopping and health services - in case of emergency). east (punta cana, bavaro) is also very beautiful and peaceful.

i myself live in puerto plata, walking distance from the ocean, very quiet area. our basic bills (water, power, cable, internet, phones) come to about 150-200 dollars. food (we mostly eat at home) is about 100 dollars a week (for two). you will have to add to that rent, entertainment and travel and you have an example of a budget.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
No nothing like that - internet is no problem unless you are uploading videos etc. You can watch BBC videos 90% of the time without problems. Power outage in Las Terrenas is less than 1 hour a month. I do time critical tasks and no problem - nor with my neighbor that I shared with.
Nice food is very cheap.
It's only 3-4 hours to Santo Domingo Airport by bus from Las Terrenas.
Spent the evening with a gringo couple and they were only earning 500 dollars a month here and were not dipping into savings. Heath services are 2 24 hour private clinics with doctors who can and do perform emergency surgery.
Travel insurance includes air evacuation. 1 hour to capitial
Water for washing is normally included in rent. Power is not too much. How do you get through 100 dollars a week in food - eat caviar!
100 dollars is equivalent of 23 chickens or 90 liters of milk or 74 pineapples or 1,200 eggs. You could feed 4 families on 100 dollars!
Entertainment - a special group etc. from the capital will be maximum of 40 dollars with drinks.

Local Italian restaurants daily specials are less than 3 dollars.

Certainly not the experience of my friends or myself. 500-600 dollars is plenty!
:bunny:

Yanandu

ok, no matter where you live you will need about 1000 dollars a month for a decent life (ok apartment, bills, food, some entertainment). 1500 per two people, more or less, i guess. we are talking gringo standards here: electricity, water, clean neighborhood, nice food.
your single biggest problem will be the internet. the best you can get in DR is bad and expensive. and sometimes it just goes.
make sure the place you rent has an inversor and/or working generator because power cuts are common here and you need some backup. it will be a good idea to get a UPS for your computer/modem so that you are always safe.
i would suggest you should look at southern locations, close to santo domingo (which is best for travelling out of the country, shopping and health services - in case of emergency). east (punta cana, bavaro) is also very beautiful and peaceful.

i myself live in puerto plata, walking distance from the ocean, very quiet area. our basic bills (water, power, cable, internet, phones) come to about 150-200 dollars. food (we mostly eat at home) is about 100 dollars a week (for two). you will have to add to that rent, entertainment and travel and you have an example of a budget.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
For the OP., you should note that Yanandu is a very new poster here.. And seems to have accumulated a large group of ex pat friends who are now living in Las Terrenas on the cheap.. ie on just about what the Peace Corps allowance was for LT 5 years ago.

Note that he drinks 150 peso bottles of wine

This may account for it

The lowest acceptable bottle of wine that anyone that I know would bring to dinner is about 300 peso

He has trouble imagining how a person could spend fifty dollars a week on food.

If you, too, have difficulty imagining how a person can spend that much, then definitely listen to his posts

Otherwise, just hit the ignore button. Which I am going to have to do again.

Reactions: Bronxboy

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I lived in Cabrera 2 months.
In town you will not be near a beach. There are other parts of the area maybe closer, perhaps La Entrada.
In Cabrera you will need transport.
Seems only the very rich have beachfront.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Young Couple? No Kids?

Just move to Cabarete. Done.
Live quiet or live large, you'll see.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Today I splash out - red wine 165 pesos Vina Lanzar for 75cl.
Not so bad for an everyday table wine.
Bleu Weddings & Events Management
50 dollars would buy 123 lbs of vegetable or rice!
With low prices in DR 3 dollars is quite difficult to spend per person per day with some specials at week-end.

Yanandu

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Carlinhos,
Voces fala portugues. me manda um mensagem via PM e' a gente fala. viu?

carlosdasilva3

Mar 2, 2011
Hello,

We want to live right close to the beach so we would prefer to only have a car when we want to travel further on the weekends.

Is there anyone living in Punta Cana or any other turistic destination? Is it really a party place where we can find little rest? The pictures online from such place look great.