Mirabal sisters/In the Time of Butterflies

J

Jo Anne

I am preparing a book review for one of my classes. Could someone just answer two questions that I have about the Mirabal sisters? First, is true that the sisters had warnings from local people of the danger that was ahead if they continued traveling that evening in November? Second, I know that there is a museum, a mural in their honor, and a memorial where they were killed, but is the huge obelisk, "El macho" portraying them as well? I saw a photo of it in a tour guide, but no description of it followed. I need to know because I would like to show the class as many photos as possible.
Thank you!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It is true that they had warnings. The huge obelisk on the Malecon portrays them only because it bears a painting by Elsa Nu?ez that is recent, it was done in the 80s. The obelisk was built for the Feria de la Paz y Confraternidad organized by Dictator Trujillo to commemorate his 25th anniversary in government back in 1955. There are many web sites on the Internet with interesting photos on the Mirabal sisters.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You are right! We meant to type 90s and typed 80s. Dont remember the exact year. Think it was further back than 1998.

L

Liza

Hi Jo Anne!!!!

My name is Liza I was raised in the small town were

the Mirabal sisters were born.I know most of the story and I

will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have,

also try www.rincondominicano.com and on the right click on

grandes dominicanas, there you will find The Mirabal sisters.

good luck!!!

ps. I am leaving to DR this weekend and will be back on the 4/23

I will post some pictures for you then...

chao!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

CES

"Apesar de todas esas acciones de la dictadura ya era incontrolable el fervor por cambio y libertad que embriagaba a los jovenes dominicanos."

~ LM ~

~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~```~~~```~~~```~~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~

Thank you Liza for identifying the "Mirabal Pages", and also, is it possible that I see the 'hand' of one of our board regulars?

Thank you & . . .

Regards,

. . . CES