Puerto Plata - Play Dorado Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominicanita123

Jul 8, 2004
A couple of single men will be traveling to Puerto Plata the week prior to Semana Santa. They're americans, and being that I'm Dominican they're asking me where they should stay.

From what I've read am I safe recommending:
Blue Bay
Barcelo
Gran Ventana

Also, one of them is inquiring about a cave that's been turned into a club? Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. Any other clubs/places I can recommend.

Gracias!
Debbie

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Single men probably won't be happy in Playa Dorada unless they want to be insulated from the local culture. They probably should go to one of the non-ALL Inclusives in Cabarete. The club you refer to is in Santo Domingo. It is call Meson de la Cava. I remember going there 20 years ago. It was a tourist trap back then, but I hear it has gotten to be a decent reataurant.
See:Mes?n de la Cava (El) - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic - Yahoo! Travel

dominicanita123

Jul 8, 2004
Thanks for your quick reply! Would Sosua be a better town for them? Also, what other clubs or attractions would you suggest? I think it's like six of them traveling. Again thanks for your help : )

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Playa Dorada is a AI hotel complex that has several night clubs if they mostly want to mingle with other tourists. Blue Bay, Barcelo and GV are all located near Coco Bongo.... I've been to Barcelo and GV they're both nice... Playa Dorado is close Puerto Plata and they can easily get a taxi to a variety of discos and clubs for entertainment.... I've never been to Sosua so I can't recommend anything there. I've been to several discos in Puerto Plata and if they like local music, Rancho Tipico is my favorite for live bands..I've heard Lighthouse is good too.

dominicanita123

Jul 8, 2004
Shiraz72 thanks for your help! What about Cabarete? I'm trying to get names of places where they can stay and enjoy themselves. Thanks.

dominicanita123

Jul 8, 2004
Thanks to everyone replying. I knew I would get quick and great answers here lol. Basically what I what to do is give them names of hotels/resorts in Cabarete and Sosua (since Playa Dorada is out) as well as names of places to visit (ie clubs, beaches, attractions and restaurants).

I appreciate and value all of your opinions especially because the last time I went to Punta Cana was in 1986!

You guys are the best : )

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I guess we're all too polite to ask what your friends are really interested in their vacation. To give you a definitive answer, are your friends interested in:
Interacting with other vacationers?
or
Interacting with locals?
or.
Interacting with local "working" girls?

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Shiraz72 thanks for your help! What about Cabarete? I'm trying to get names of places where they can stay and enjoy themselves. Thanks.

Hi glad to help. Cabarete is over near Sosua. I've never been to Cabaret or Sosua, I've been to Puerto Plata. The travel sites normally advertise them all as Puerto Plata and then you have to read to find out exactly where the resorts are located. I've stayed in Playa Dorada and Costambar areas which are all part of greater POP. Have you ever been to POP or DR? Depending on what type of activities your friends are interested in, I've heard that Cabarete's beaches are great for surfing. I've heard that Sosua is good for night life and clubbing but you have to be street smart not to get hussled by the working girls LOL I'd advise you to read some of the discussions about Sosua on the North Coast forums...there's a lot of feedback from others who've been there or live there. If your friends decide to go to POP perhaps I can be of more help... they'll have a great time I'm sure..no matter where they go in DR. I always do.

dominicanita123

Jul 8, 2004
LMAO! Ok here's the deal it's 3 single men so as far as I know anything goes lol. (I have warned them about the women). I have some more information as well.

They will be staying at a place called Lifestyle Tropical Beach in Cofresi. Any feedback on this place?

They are interested in some excursions and snorkeling, and they're definitely in nightclubs at night.

Thanks!

Bonesb

Nov 4, 2008
where to go in puerto plata

Definetely make the trip to Sosua in they are in search of some company and excitement. But stick together and go to the bars on the main strip. shouldn't have any problems at all. Make sure you can also take guests back to your place without having to pay an entrace fee, or find a local cabana. good luck and have fun.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
LMAO! Ok here's the deal it's 3 single men so as far as I know anything goes lol. (I have warned them about the women). I have some more information as well.

They will be staying at a place called Lifestyle Tropical Beach in Cofresi. Any feedback on this place?

They are interested in some excursions and snorkeling, and they're definitely in nightclubs at night.

Thanks!

Playa Cofresi is up near Ocean World, and just past Costambar where I normally stay. There's a nice disco either in Cofresi or Ocean World called Lighthouse. They may have access to book excursions from the hotel in Cofresi. If not, it's not a far drive to Playa Dorada and they can book excursions from within the plaza. They'd probably get a better price that way because the agents who work at the hotels or on the beaches charge more for comission. When I'm in Costambar, I take a day trip down to the Plaza and there's a ticket booth inside for Avlav tours. I have taken the catamaran trip 2x now. They pick you up on the beach in Playa Dorada and take you out all day, drinks and lunch included for about $50 US and you get to snorkel at 2 locations in Sosua. I've heard agents quoting prices of up to $90 for the same trip. Avlav has lots of other excursions too and they may have a website. There's an American girl who works at the plaza and she gives fair prices. Hope this helps your friends...

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
For 3 single guys,La Passion on Pedro Clisante in Sosua is a must.Safe.relatively cheap and very friendly staff.Don't take them there on the first day as they might not leave.LOL.Ask for the menu,all prices are listed,even for take out.NO,they don't serve food.

Have a good time

Mike.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Tell your friends to use the AI's as a base camp then branch out sosua isfun hit me with a pm i'll give you more info

Status
Not open for further replies.