Skype's Online Number and calls to DR?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Skype has this option where one can purchase a US-based phone number, and any calls to that number are redirected to the buyer's laptop (provided skype is running). It's $18 for three months.

A friend of mine (in Santiago) is thinking of purchasing a Skype online phone number so that I can call that number directly and we can talk.

Has anyone tried this skype feature and purchased a number? Does it work?

Thanks.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Yes, I had a UK number when it was a bit cheaper. Sure worked. Answerphone too.
Yanandu

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Want to talk for free instead? Just download Skype. Provided you have a camera and mic your good to go, you can chat with or without video.

I was just using Skype and it worked just fine for me talking with someone in the USA from DR and tonight I'll let you know how talking from USA to DR is with Skype.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
google voice + gmail phone works like magic and you get a free US numer. All incoming and out-going calls = free.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Use Google Voice. USA and Canadian calls are free and system is much better.

I have a USA number and I can call from and accept calls on my laptop to that number.

Read the site to learn all about it: http://www.google.com/voice

Also their rates to other countries are cheap.
Costs US$0.2c min to a UK landline.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
How do you get google voice from the DR; the screen says not available outside the US. Is there a different site to go to that doesn't automatically know you're in the DR?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have a Skype US number. Works great. My family and others can call me by calling that number, and because I have that number, I can call any phone in the US, land line or cell, without any charge other than the US$+ per month I pay for the number and service.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I use Skype outgoing for a very reasonable $2.95 per month I think it is; don't need a number as I have a Magic Jack and have a US NY # for that. But I am interested in the google voice as back up.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
How do you get google voice from the DR; the screen says not available outside the US. Is there a different site to go to that doesn't automatically know you're in the DR?

Use a proxy

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Signup using a US based proxy. After that, you can use it on any IP.

Google Voice blows Skype out the water and it's free.
It's just so much better, especially the way it integrates into Gmail, number porting, iPhone hookup, voice mail etc.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
sign up for googlevoice number with US proxy. This way google will think you are in usa. Give all usa details: address etc. Then, after you are done, you can use it from any country in the world with local internet (no US proxy is needed). I just don't know why people have this urge to pay for calls to usa when there are so many programs that let you call to usa for free. I have never paid a cent to call usa or to receive calls to my phone (american number). I have this setup going for a long time.
if you just want to call usa for free then use Whistle - Free Phone Calls to Anyone in the U.S.
They will assign you an american number for free for incoming calls. But the incoming calls work 1 out of 4 times if someone attempts to call you. the out going calls are great and you only have to listen to a 15 sec advertisement message.
AZB

May 12, 2005
Signup using a US based proxy. After that, you can use it on any IP.

Google Voice blows Skype out the water and it's free.
It's just so much better, especially the way it integrates into Gmail, number porting, iPhone hookup, voice mail etc.

Damn, I didn't realize you can integrate all that so easily. I need a tutor to show me how.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
What's the best us proxy to use? I just tried hidemyass.com and it wouldn't redirect in the middle of the process.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks but here's the message on their site.

Due to extremely high usage, Proxify is allowing access only to paid subscribers. We apologize for any inconvenience

Feb 7, 2007
s
if you just want to call usa for free then use Whistle - Free Phone Calls to Anyone in the U.S.
They will assign you an american number for free for incoming calls. But the incoming calls work 1 out of 4 times if someone attempts to call you. the out going calls are great and you only have to listen to a 15 sec advertisement message.

They have 2 types of ads, one is a self-promo and the other one is real ads. Ypu can skip real ads by pressing "8". So as soon as you hear "need plumber" or similar, you can press 8 to skip the add and the call will be connected to your called party.

Actually, you can press "8" every time, and it will work on all commercial ads, but not on self-promos. So as soon as you hear ad message, press 8. If commercial message is being played, it will be skipped and your call connected. If self-promo is being played, it will not be skipped so you listed to the short self-promo promoting their international calling service, and after that your call will be connected.

Feb 7, 2007
What's the best us proxy to use? I just tried hidemyass.com and it wouldn't redirect in the middle of the process.

Go to Free United States proxy servers. American proxy - US.

change your network settings in browser config.

Then go to What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... to see if your proxy is picking up.

Final step: many transparent proxies will show proxy IP in WIMIPA, but will still act as transparent proxy. A good place I found to check what is your "final" IP address the servers are seeing is Advanced DNS Management - Easy, web-based domain manager - ZoneEdit.com

Just crate a free account, you do no have to port any domain to them. Just setup an account, and when you go to members center, your IP address will be shown. This is a good checker because I have used some proxies that look quite anonymously but at the end some sites were still able to find out (e.g. google voice) you were using proxy server and your final Dominican IP address and thus not let you continue the process.

Whatever passed zoneedit IP check (proxy IP) worked with Google Voice and it recognized it as US-based IP.

I have set up quite a few GV accounts for people so I know it's a PITA.

Another "get a clue" method is signing up for Gmail account. In the signup screen in the form it will show the COUNTRY where you are. If it says USA than it's the US IP address that the server is reading.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I guess I was just lucky, I signed up for Google Voice account from Santiago and it worked, did not use a proxy.

Perhaps because I already had a G-Mail account.
(I used my Skype U.S. number to verify the Google Voice)

SantiagoDR

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have a gmail account - is there a way to access Google Voice from there and not bother with the cloaked IP address?