Dangers??

K

KC

I will be staying at a resort near Sosua in a couple of weeks. Can someone tell me if there are any dangers we should be aware of...is it safe to wear jewelry or to travel outside of the resort at night? (Our hotel is called Casa Marina Beach Club, 15 minutes from the airport). I have heard a lot of horror stories about these things happening in Mexico...
Also, wondering if there are any affordable but fun things to do in that area? Want to make the most of my trip :)
Thanks

V

Vera and Diana

We stayed in Sosua last november. We were there with 3 girls, and found it very safe. We had such a great time. Just don't wear your biggest golden juwelry, and nothing will happen to you.

If you want to see something of the island, just book some trips. A trip to Samana, a jeep-safari. All these things are so good to do!

Have a great time!

Diana an Vera.

P

Phyllis

I've been to this area 7 times in the last 3 years and most times don't even stay on a resort - afraid, never! Be wise as you would at home, and enjoy the beautiful people of the DR!!

D

Derrick

?? for John & comment about danger in the DR

I'm always amused when someone offers a comment that goes against what others are saying, but doesn't even explain or back up their comment...
Could there be danger in the DR?? Of course, same as everywhere... but it certainly seems safer than almost anywhere in the US... Theft or pick pocketing is your most likely danger. I don't have stats to back it up, but there SEEMS to be a LOT less violent crime in the DR... shootings, beatings, rape, etc.. seem to be RARE compared to the US.
I live in a relatively quiet suburb of Dallas, population about 200,000... we had about 200 and some-odd reported rapes, which I think means around 1000+ actual rapes.. this AMAZED me... my Dominican fiance knows what rape is mostly from TV, says she doesn't remember ever hearing of anyone she knows, or even "friend of a friend" experiencing anything like that....
Derrick - in the US - most free country in the world, and probably the most dangerous and violent during "peace time"...

C

CES

Re: Dangers?? (KC)

"La Rep?blica Dominicana ain't no Mexico." True the DR is a developing nation, but Mexico, is/ has been, was at times, an -UN-developing nation under the grip of the PRIN oligarchy. Many many areas of Mexico are/ were under the influence/ control of a local "Patron" and/ or possibly corrupted police "commander". If this blood sucker allows crime to flourish, then God help you if things go badly for you during your visit.

By far everyone that's compared the DR to Mexico (here, DR1:) gives the DR an unqualified, hands down, positive record on safety for the touristy sites. (do a search of the archives) . . .

Regards,

. . . CES

ps ... John, don't you think that your *DC* post is kind of inflammatory??? If you have something to say then step right on up to the "plate" . . .

T

Tom

"DC POSTS"

Thank you for again pointing out my aggrevation at useless, confusing aggrevating empty posts.

If someone has something to say, be it positive or negative, is it so hard to post a remark that has substance?

Tom

K

KC

Thanks

Thanks for your help everyone, i appreciate it. I'm sure I'll have more questions before i go :)

T

trina

Re: Thanks

Make sure you visit Eddy at Eddy's Sports shack, up the street from the Casa Marina, and Barb and Linden at the Brittania. E-mail me if you want specifics on the area, I stayed at the Casa Marina on 2 different occasions. You will love it!

T

trina

OOPS!

I don't know why I wrote shack, Eddy. Hee hee, must be the blonde roots showing through again. Sorry!

C

CES

"The Topic of Crime"

~~~ Weekly Update - Ascot Advisory Services ~~~

Thus, 12 Apr 2001

"On the topic of crime and finding a peaceful place to live, many people hold onto the false stereotype that living in places like Thailand, Ecuador, The Dominican Republic is dangerous. However, as recent riots in Cincinnati-Ohio indicate, there seems to be more civil disobedience (and danger) in the US. In relation to safety and education, US children aged 10 years old and up are taking firearms to school and shooting teachers or fellow students. The trend has now carried over to Canada. To the surprise of some, this does NOT go on in the rest of the world and seems to be mainly a North-American problem."

**** John Schroder of Ascot Advisory Services
For more information, visit on-line at:
http://www.ascotadvisory.com/
Telephone 809-334-5387 or 809-756-1917
Email: info@ascotadvisory.com

~ ~ ~ <:> ~ ~ ~

Submitted by,

. . . CES

K

KC

Re: OOPS!

Yeah, i was actually picturing a boat rental shack or something, not a sports bar :)

S

Susanne

Re: "The Topic of Crime"

The American fascination with firearms and Americans insisting upon the rights to own and carry them never cease to amaze most Europeans. It would be unheard of in most other countries. I was shocked when I visited a house in Huston, Texas, and the eight year old daughter of the house proudly showed me her gun and told me that "Santa had brought it for Christmas". The day that girl feels cross with her school and her fellow pupils, the gun is not going to be the last of her considered solutions, I'm afraid.

I am aware that debating this is almost futile - it is an attitude towards weapons that seems unalterable in my experience. And as I am only in the States from time to time as a guest, it is not my place to say what is wrong and what is right. I just feel deeply offended and uneasy knowing that any trigger-eager idiot can by whatever weapon he fancies. And what person in a right mind does ever provide a child with a gun?

But to get back on track with the subject: Sure there are dangers everywhere and in the DR as well. But the crime rate is relatively low when it comes to acts of violence, whereas acts of petty theft etc. are common. However, act sensibly. Personally, I wouldn't dream of flashing expensive jewellery nor lots of cash being out after dark. And don't walk alone, take a taxi instead. This issue has been debated in elaborate detail on more than one occassion, so please check the archives as well.

Enjoy yourself.

Regards,
Susanne

T

Tom

Zealots

Susanne

You are correct in one remark, the issue of owning firearms in the US will always be a hotly debated issue.

Seldom have I heard of a DULY LICENSED PISTOL, REVOLVER , SHOTGUN OR RIFLE being used in a publicized incident. It is the proliferation of assault weapons, cheap pistols, teflon bullets etc that have caused the problem.

I vividly recall Rep Patrick Kennedy debating a Republican Congressman from upstate New York of the ban of fully automatic weapons (What is God's name does the average citizen need automatic weapons for?). Patrick eloquently put forth the tragedy suffered by his family and stated that the weapons used in those assassinations were not the ones he wished to ban, but wished the Rep from NY to understand that he was not "anti gun" though he had personally lost two Uncles to them.

If you can picture the movie "1041," the Comedy with John Belushi about a "Japanese invasion of the west coast", this Right Wing (I expect a nice reply from JHH from the hills of Montana on this one)"representative of the people stated that "he and his wife lived in a "remote area" of New York and his wife was often home alone and he felt she should be able to have a .50 Caliber Browning in the living room if she so desired" that weapon was designed to destroy enemy armor and as an anti aircraft weapon, firing a bullet the size of your thumb over 5 miles at 5000' per second. The old "John Wayne " movies didn't depict it, but when a .50 hits a human body, the body does not fall over dead, it explodes if any thing solid is hit. I have personally seem photos of a village swept by a M2A (The "Ma Deuce 50), browning .50 machine gun. Several of the bodies were thrown over 10 feet from where they ere standing when hit by this anti vehicle weapon, but as some people continue to say "The Constitution gives us the right to have one in our living room"

If you take it literally and have the money, we can also now buy a MIG 29 for our hangar and a T-72 for our driveway (I think the only prohibition may be from the EPA?, air quality would protect us more than law enforcement)

Tom

C

CES

"(The "Ma Deuce 50)"

>>> "If you can picture the movie "1041," the Comedy with John Belushi" <<< ah ... "1941"

Hey Tom,

I just love it when you "talk" ordnance and that "fly boy" stuff. . . :)

Seriously, I remember the Patrick Kennedy vs. "Wild Eyed Gun Nutcase" debate and my reaction was how stupid the "up stater" looking in his argument. What ever possessed the man to think he would be given credence after using "the constitution guarantees my right to defend my property with a 50 cal. weapon if I want". Hell, when the constitution was framed you could see musket balls in flight and certainly those leaned men did not envision putting "state of the art" modern day military ordnance in the hands of your average "Joe six-pack how many guns do have" types.

To add a little historical info., my uncle landed with the Normandy invasion and was in Germany after the armistice and part of his duties entailed questioning German POWs. One question was: "What weapon that the allies used did you fear most?" (or words to that effect) The universal answer was, you guest it, "the 50 cal. Browning Automatic Machine-gun". And this was from the mouths of battle harden veterans.

Second historical, "una Cibae?a" lived in Zona Colonial during the 1965 fracas. Late one night the darkened silence was broken by unmistakable staccato of a 50 cal. At dawns' light the near by narrow street was littered with the macabre remains of a military truck and its' unfortunate occupants, human remains (shattered body parts) were every where. . .

Regards,

. . . CES

T

Tom

Re: "(The "Ma Deuce 50)"

My Uncle was a gunners "assistant" on a .50 in WW II (Served with Uncles Sam's Misguided Children). He was involved in the battle for Guadalcanal and he told me some incredible stories of literal "waves" of Japanese Soldiers WITHOUT WEAPONS who would charge the machine gun. He said each time they would let out a burst, you would see men fall 5-6 rows deep and those in the back pick up the weapons and continue on. Apparently the only thing that kept the Browning's from completely mowing down these human waves was the necessity to slow down the cyclic rate or risk melting the barrels. apparently they found the water cooled .30 to be a more efficient "killing machine" for soft human targets as it could continue the much higher cyclic rate.

If you ever want to see something amazing, check out the website for SPECTER and see some of the BDA's (Or whatever the AF calls post damage assessments)and see what 2 mini guns, four 20mm, 2 40mm Bofors and a 105 can do. It is advertised that in 30 seconds the AC-130 can put a round into every square inch of a football field. they actually used them to clear LZ's for Slicks when 2000 pounders were not available, just put the 130 into a pylon turn and "mowed" down trees, grass, villages and whatever else may have been in their intended location.

There was one LLTV picture (actual photo) of a VC in a rice paddy just looking up and shaking his fist at the gunship as a trail of 20's "walked" toward him, they knew it was useless to run, hide or seek cover

P

Paulina

No different than New York City

It's no different than walking around New York City. Don't wear jewls that attract attention and don't wave your $$ around for everyone to see. I travel to the Dominican Republic alone often and have no problems. Most Dominicans get upset if something bad happens to you! They don't want to see unhappy visitors.

Just take the same precautions that you would anywhere else!

Enjoy!