Help please!! i really need it!!

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
Hey! I really need help! ..... I'm planning a trip to the Playa Dorada Complex in Puerto Plata, I will be staying in the bluebay villas doradas resort. I'm originally of dominican heritage and as so I have family in The Dominican Republic (grandmother). I would love to rent a vehicle and visit my grandmother, (who I haven't seen in a few years) The issue is that she lives in the Pueblo of Salcedo (about 20 minutes away from Moca and about 40 minutes from Santiago) ....... and I really need specific directions on what is the safest/best route from Playa Dorada,Puerto Plata to Salcedo! ..... I have been to other sites and people don't seem to know much ......Can anyone please help me! ......please because my grandmother means alot to me and I don't want to visit DR without going to her house

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hey! I really need help! ..... I'm planning a trip to the Playa Dorada Complex in Puerto Plata, I will be staying in the bluebay villas doradas resort. I'm originally of dominican heritage and as so I have family in The Dominican Republic (grandmother). I would love to rent a vehicle and visit my grandmother, (who I haven't seen in a few years) The issue is that she lives in the Pueblo of Salcedo (about 20 minutes away from Moca and about 40 minutes from Santiago) ....... and I really need specific directions on what is the safest/best route from Playa Dorada,Puerto Plata to Salcedo! ..... I have been to other sites and people don't seem to know much ......Can anyone please help me! ......please because my grandmother means alot to me and I don't want to visit DR without going to her house

Why don't you call her and ask for directions because if she's a grandmother I am sure she has been around the island more than once!

Reactions: SantiagoDR

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Why don't you call her and ask for directions because if she's a grandmother I am sure she has been around the island more than once!

Mike, many Dominicans haven't traveled far from their homes and I doubt her grandmother has even heard of Playa Dorada.

Hang in there Salcedo we have many knowledgeable people on the board that know their way around that area and will help out.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Direction to Moca

Hi:

Get a DR map to get from Moca to the small town where your Grandmother lives but I can get you to Moca.

From Puerta Plata get on RT 5 which is the main road. Head for Cabarate.

Continue on RT. 5 thru Cabarate and keep going straight heading for Nagua

From Puerta Plata to Nagua will take you approximately 2 hrs. 15 minutes.

In Nagua follow road signs that say to Santo Domingo. This road will take you to Moca. I believe the RT. # is 132

Your are basically on a couple of main roads the whole trip. The roads are good and it is very safe.

It will take you about 3 1/2 hrs from Puerta Plata to Moca. Again, buy yourself a map of the DR and you will see it is not a difficult ride.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
LTSteve, why would the op want to travel half way around the country to get to Moca, when he can go south at Sabaneta de Yasika to Moca in about 1hr? (thats 12km east of Cabarete).....

There is another way, but the highway between Gasper Hernandez and Tinares is not in the best of shape....but still faster than going all the way to Nagua......

The directions above will take you to Salcedo the long way, You will make a left out of Playa Dorada travel east thru Sosua and then Caberette, after Caberette you will travel towards Sabeneta you will come to a big intersection and you will make a right traveling toward Jamao Norte. You will travel this road for about an hour thru the mountains, very scenic,bring a camera. At the end of this long mountain road you will come to a T intersection and a Nativa gas station directly in frony of you. You make a left at this intersection and you will stay straight on this road all the way into Moca and you will come to another T intersection with a prison on your left side, At this intersection you will make a left turn and be going straight toward Salcedo. You will save over an hour to an 1 1/2 using these directions. as opposed to LT Steves directions. There is a quicker way thru Gaspar hernandez if you are using a jeep. Let me know if you want those directions.

Reactions: Bronxboy

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
The directions above will take you to Salcedo the long way, You will make a left out of Playa Dorada travel east thru Sosua and then Caberette, after Caberette you will travel towards Sabeneta you will come to a big intersection and you will make a right traveling toward Jamao Norte. You will travel this road for about an hour thru the mountains, very scenic,bring a camera. At the end of this long mountain road you will come to a T intersection and a Nativa gas station directly in frony of you. You make a left at this intersection and you will stay straight on this road all the way into Moca and you will come to another T intersection with a prison on your left side, At this intersection you will make a left turn and be going straight toward Salcedo. You will save over an hour to an 1 1/2 using these directions. as opposed to LT Steves directions. There is a quicker way thru Gaspar hernandez if you are using a jeep. Let me know if you want those directions.
Thanks for your help .....is the road through the mountains you just gave me a good well paved road? ..... Is there another road that is not through the mountains? ...besides the way through gaspar hernandez? ..... I'm afraid of getting lost or being stuck in an really bad road with 1000 pot holes..... Thank you for your help

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Thanks for your help .....is the road through the mountains you just gave me a good well paved road? ..... Is there another road that is not through the mountains? ...besides the way through gaspar hernandez? ..... I'm afraid of getting lost or being stuck in an really bad road with 1000 pot holes..... Thank you for your help

We use this road all the time.
Two days ago I came through this way and it's fine all the way. Not too many holes and it's not that isolated to be scared of breaking down.
Best go in the day if you are not familiar.

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
We use this road all the time.
Two days ago I came through this way and it's fine all the way. Not too many holes and it's not that isolated to be scared of breaking down.
Best go in the day if you are not familiar.
. Thank you .... Do you think I could get to salcedo in 2 hours?

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
I looked at google maps and im curious if the road through the mountains is bartolome colon avenue which turns into 27 de febrero avenue? ......or does it have another name thanks

I looked at google maps and im curious if the road through the mountains is bartolome colon avenue which turns into 27 de febrero avenue? ......or does it have another name thanks

When you exit the mountain near moca where you make your left at the Nativa gas station, that is actually 27 of febuary and if you made a right would take you right into the heart of Santiago. You could do it in 2 hours if you knew the road, 2 1/2 because you dont know it and it is scenic and you may like to stop and take a few pics. The road is in great shape and the people up there are very nice people, enjoy the ride.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

We are talking about Road Number 21 via Sabaneta and Jamao.

The Bartholome Colon road from Motellano to Santiago which they call the 'Calle Turistica' is extremely bad and very broken in places. I tried it this week but it is not really viable with a normal car.