help please!! I need to visit my grandmother

Status
Not open for further replies.

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
Hey! I really need help! ..... I'm planning a trip to the Playa Dorada Complex in Puerto Plata, I will be staying in the bluebay villas doradas resort. I'm originally of dominican heritage and as so I have family in The Dominican Republic (grandmother). I would love to rent a vehicle and visit my grandmother, (who I haven't seen in a few years) The issue is that she lives in the Pueblo of Salcedo (about 20 minutes away from Moca and about 40 minutes from Santiago) ....... and I really need specific directions on what is the safest/best route from Playa Dorada,Puerto Plata to Salcedo! ..... I have been to other sites and people don't seem to know much ......Can anyone please help me! ......please because my grandmother means alot to me and I don't want to visit DR without going to her house

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is really easy IF you are familiar with Dominican driving habits and can speak some Spanish.
From Playa Dorada, I'd guess that you have two options.
1) turn right and follow that road to Santiago-Moca-Salcedo
2) turn left and follow that road through Sos?a, Cabarete and at the intersection in Sabaneta, turn right and go to Jamao and over the hills to San Victor, Moca. Once you are there, turn left again, and go straight. This road goes down and then up by the Fortaleza de Moca, and you turn left again. This is the highway between Moca, Salcedo, Tenares and San Francisco. You will be in Salcedo in 15 or 20 minutes.

Good Luck.

HB

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
I'd take choice #2 myself.

It is definitely the more scenic route, if you don't mind driving up into and down from the mountains.

:chinese::chinese::chinese:

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
It is really easy IF you are familiar with Dominican driving habits and can speak some Spanish.
From Playa Dorada, I'd guess that you have two options.
1) turn right and follow that road to Santiago-Moca-Salcedo
2) turn left and follow that road through Sos?a, Cabarete and at the intersection in Sabaneta, turn right and go to Jamao and over the hills to San Victor, Moca. Once you are there, turn left again, and go straight. This road goes down and then up by the Fortaleza de Moca, and you turn left again. This is the highway between Moca, Salcedo, Tenares and San Francisco. You will be in Salcedo in 15 or 20 minutes.

Good Luck.

HB
. Thank you for your help ..... If I take the sosua-cabarete road how long would it take to get to salcedo?..... Is the road well paved?...how is the traffic in that are?.....thanks so much....I'm planning to drive that same road on my way back from salcedo....and I'm not sure if traffic or road conditions are going to be an issue.... Will that road take me through the city of santiago?.....sorry for all the questions

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
. Thank you for your help ..... If I take the sosua-cabarete road how long would it take to get to salcedo?..... Is the road well paved?...how is the traffic in that are?.....thanks so much....I'm planning to drive that same road on my way back from salcedo....and I'm not sure if traffic or road conditions are going to be an issue.... Will that road take me through the city of santiago?.....sorry for all the questions

I drive that road frequently up to Moca on the way to Jarbacoa. Overall the route to Moca is in good condition, but there are a few rough spots in the mountains where some pot holes are starting to open up so you have to be alert. Make sure you keep to the right since vehicles here tend to drive more to the center of the road and can cause problems when going around those corners.

That route will not take you through Santiago

I cannot say anything about the road between Moca to Salcedo since I have not been on that

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I drive that road frequently up to Moca on the way to Jarbacoa. Overall the route to Moca is in good condition, but there are a few rough spots in the mountains where some pot holes are starting to open up so you have to be alert. Make sure you keep to the right since vehicles here tend to drive more to the center of the road and can cause problems when going around those corners.

That route will not take you through Santiago

I cannot say anything about the road between Moca to Salcedo since I have not been on that

The road between Moca and Salcedo is in decent shape, although narrow in some areas.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If yhou are smart and go slow, and I mean slow, it should take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. You need to get a "feel" for driving here. It is unlike anything you can imagine. Not even Rome, or NYC on a bad day can come close.

I went through Jamao last weekend. The road is getting sh!tty. really. No maintenance in way past two years. The road to Salcedo is good, according to my reports.

You asked about La Fortaleza de Moca: You do not want to go there. It is big, green and butt ugly...

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.