Google voice/Skype and smartphones?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
This is really a follow-up to previous post I had made.

Let's say my friend in Santiago purchases an online US number from skype or google voice, would it be possible for her to install skype (or google voice) in her internet-ready Blackberry Torch so that when I call that US number she can pick it up on her phone instead of having to talk via the laptop?

Thanks.

Amare

Feb 8, 2011
If they are near a wireless access point then yes. other then that she'll have to either get another sim card with a data plan or get international roaming. bottom line she needs to have some access to data.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Her smartphone has a data plan.

Basically, I was thinking that her phone would be her laptop. So instead of talking to me through the laptop (where skype is running), she would somehow install skype or google voice on her smartphone so that the smartphone would be the device she would use to talk.

Feb 7, 2007
You do not "receive" calls on Google Voice. You need a physical US phone number (VOIP or real) to receive calls. It's not like you run google voice app and someone calls you on your GV number and it rings in your app... nope... GV FORWARDS your call to another number in the USA (landline, fax, mobile, etc.)

SKYPE does not work on Blackberry, unless you are a Verizon customer. All skype PHONE calls on Verizon Wireless are charged as regular calls. Only skype-to-skype calls are free on Blackberry on Verizon Wirelss. NO SKYPE app for Blackberry on other carriers. Skype IM Client for Blackberry ! - Skype Community

There is IM+ Talk (cost $30) IM+ Talk :: BlackBerry :: Products and will give you Skype emulator for both chatting and receiving/placing skype calls.

Another important thing - no carrier in DR runs Blackberry services on 3G network. All of them (Claro, Orange, Viva) run Blackberry services on GPRS/EDGE network, rendering ANY AND ALL VOIP calls useless. You could do VOIP in WIFI environment.

I was just looking into exactly the same thing yesterday and today, so i saved you hours of research with this info.

You can now thank me! :)

Reactions: AlterEgo

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You do not "receive" calls on Google Voice. You need a physical US phone number (VOIP or real) to receive calls. It's not like you run google voice app and someone calls you on your GV number and it rings in your app... nope... GV FORWARDS your call to another number in the USA (landline, fax, mobile, etc.)

SKYPE does not work on Blackberry, unless you are a Verizon customer. All skype PHONE calls on Verizon Wireless are charged as regular calls. Only skype-to-skype calls are free on Blackberry on Verizon Wirelss. NO SKYPE app for Blackberry on other carriers. Skype IM Client for Blackberry ! - Skype Community

There is IM+ Talk (cost $30) IM+ Talk :: BlackBerry :: Products and will give you Skype emulator for both chatting and receiving/placing skype calls.

Another important thing - no carrier in DR runs Blackberry services on 3G network. All of them (Claro, Orange, Viva) run Blackberry services on GPRS/EDGE network, rendering ANY AND ALL VOIP calls useless. You could do VOIP in WIFI environment.

I was just looking into exactly the same thing yesterday and today, so i saved you hours of research with this info.

You can now thank me! :)

Listen to rubio and then also do your research on internet about this topic.
Rubio has just put you in the right direction. its not easy to setup voip in a dominican house, especially if they don't know what they are doing. they will screw up this fragile system with some stupid act and then say "esa vaina no funciona".
here is another deal, totally free except for the cost of a linksys-pap2 adapter. I can help you set it up with a sip program and link it with an american number to receive calls. the linksys box will be connected to the router of the internet in the house and this way you will be able to call her at will. The computer does not have to be turned on. Just hope she is not uploading or downloading on the internet at the time of the call.
AZB

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Or get a Nokia N95/96 and you can install any SIP/VoIP or Skype app. you like and use the WiFi to connect and chat to your heart content. No stupid restrictions like iPhone or Blackberry.

(I believe Andriod phones should also allow you to install and run any app you like, for some reason though people love restrictions !!?)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
get an HTC HD2 and install the latest android on it. now you have a phone which is way more advanced than an average smartphone: internet browser, huge screen. GPS navigation, FM radio, camera 5 meg pix, video camera and all the skype and voip sip programs you want to install.
AZB

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Yes to HTC, and with latest Android you also get Flash support on the internet browser.

(By the way Flash Lite was supported on Nokia a few years ago, these guys are catching up !?)

philio

Mar 4, 2011
I have a Blackberry and I have tried to download Skype, but it wouldn't allow it, I have internet and I use it for my email, facebook, GPS just about everything but I cannot get skype or any video. Its not a Torch its juts a Curve but I was wondering if anyone knew how I would be able to do this?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I believe the new Nexus S has built in VOIP support/you just need a data connection via Wifi or data plan.

Ive tried doing what the OP is saying, I installed a SIP client (I think it was TruVoice) on my Nexus One, then went to La Plaza International and tried to make a VOIP call via there Wifi connection, the call quality was pretty bad.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
After installing IM + Talk on her Blackberry Torch and seeing my username on her BB, I tried installing Skype Mobile on my TMobile HTC Behold 2. Unfortunately, Skpy tells me it doesn't support it.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for your reply.

Her blackberry (in DR) is already set up with IM+Talk; she can see my skype user ID in her phone.
I'm the one having problems installing Skype on my Samsung Behold 2 with TMobile. I go to Download Skype for your mobile and it tells me that "Skype Mobile is not available for your phone".