No watersports Easter week-end?

C

christy

I have heard a vicious rumor around Cabarete that during Easter week-end there is a ban on watersports. No windsurfing. No kiting. Is this true?

C

christy

In theory only apparently

I guess this is just in theory and do you happen to know the reasoning behind it?

L

linamia

Re: In theory only apparently

People tend to overdrink during this week and many drown. They should also ban drinking and driving as this is the time for the most horrific accidents.

P

Paulina

Re: In theory only apparently

This is a relig. weekend. (Easter) and these are the restraints they have placed on the whole island. Remember that your traveling to another country and should go along with their traditions. This is something that has been going on for a while and to be honest it gives you a peaceful weeks vacation!

Have fun!

C

christy

Arrested for windsurfing!!!

Peaceful! I really don't find getting arrested very peaceful.
Police and Civil Defense cause great damage to the tourism of Cabarete and the whole of the D.R. for arrests made during Easter week-end. The jail was full of kite boarders and windsurfers who were simply out during daytime hours enjoying watersports. Kite surfers even presented Police a letter they had obtained from Ministers stating it was fine to practice their sport. After being detained over two hours and having their equipment confiscated in the meantime, the Police finally let the men free. (Co-incidentially at 6:30pm and time of the shift change...?) Many people who viewed the harrasment on the beach by the Police offered video tapes and pictures to present to the Canadian and American embassies.
The only explanation offered to the victims was that the Police and Civil defense are trying to keep the people safe; and so they take them out of the water to have nothing better to do but sit around, get drunk, drive around like maniac's and kill people.
This process needs SERIOUS reconcideration for next year.

T

Tom

Re: Arrested for windsurfing!!!

Weren't signs posted and all sorts of warning, even on DR1's news reports provided giving information that watersports were BANNED between Thursday-Snday?

I have nver been there for the Easter wee-end but have always been undr the impression it was illegal to even ride a horse on the beach during this period

C

christy

The only sign I personally saw was at a remote location coming from private property which stated that the beach was closed from 6pm to 6am. I did not read anything in the DR1 news about it and actually when informed staff at the DR1 found it VERY interesting and feel that the Cabarete Hotel Association would take it up with the Minister of Tourism.

L

Link

Christy, Sorry people got arrested, and I'm sorry you are upset by it, but it wasn't exactly a big secret. I pulled the following information off DR1 prior to going, and then we were told again when we checked into our house, and then we were reminded by the dive operator, and then it was on the radio, and yes, there were people breaking the law at the beach we were on and the police arrested them.

Here's what was posted by some helpful person on 3/21.

"As per Resolution 03/2001, the Ministry of Tourism announced that the use of jet skis, wave runners, motor boats, horses, motorcycles and vehicles is banned at most Dominican beaches for Easter Week.

The ban affects all beaches; including Boca Chica, Playa Caribe, Guayacanes, Juan Dolio, Isla Catalina, Bayahibe, Saona, Punta Cana, Bavro, Samana, Cayo Levantado, Las Galeras, Las Terrenas, Matanza, Matancita, Los Gringos, El Caleton, Playa Grande, Cabarete, Sosua, Playa Dorada, Long Beach, Luperon, Punta Rucia, Los Patos, Playa Monte Rio, Palmar de Ocoa, Salinas and Palenque.

The ban is effective from Saturday, 7 April to Monday, 16 April.

The Easter Week prohibitiion has been on for many years to preserve the safety of beach goers. Easter Week is the peak of the beach-going season for Dominicans, and beaches are particularly full for the Easter long weekend."

S

Sarah

Christy,

I believe that this law has been in effect for at least 8 years, if not longer. I doubt that anyone is going to do anything to change it. It's a great example of the DR being proactive towards safety, perhaps more specifically tourist safety. I commend them for enforcing it, as I've personally see even experienced Dominicans nearly drown, as well as tourists who didn't have a clue as to what they were doing out in extremely rough ocean waters.

Sarah

C

christy

Ban sale of alcohol instead!

I am sorry this upsets me so much too, and wish that I could see the logic behind it. Unfortunatly,I don't. And I still don't see anywhere in the article you were so kind to provide, the fact that windsurfers and kite boarders would be arrested. If the problem is one of people getting drunk and doing stupid things, then why is the ALCOHOL sale during the week not banned instead?
In response to Sarah's comment about the ocean being very rough and therefore, a need to restrict access to it, regretfully I must disagree with this comment as well. If it was recognized that Motoconcho's were unsafe, would you suggest restricting access to them as well? Or how about the streets in general. It has been commented on many times that the roads are in poor shape, drivers crazy and even sometimes drunk. Should we then ban access to the roadways? My point is, where do we draw the line?