Computer IT Jobs in DR

soldierfc

Mar 3, 2011
I have some Oracle and SQL Server experience, and I was wondering if there are some IT jobs anywhere in the Dominican Republic, namely Santiago? If so, what kind of jobs IT can I get?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Are you fluent in Spanish?

SQL Server admins and programmers are a dime a dozen here.

Wages: RD$20-30k (US$550 to 800) monthly.

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
Robert,

What about network/server admin work in the capital? I have 10+ years working with Microsoft server platforms, and linux (redhat) as well, and network experience (developing, deploying, and troubleshooting) Cisco, 3com.

I'm fluent in Spanish as well.

Thanks.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
soldierfc,

I feel for you. I was asking a similar question many years ago with similar experience to yours. I ended up coming to the DR regardless and started with odd jobs, not necessarily IT, and after making some more contacts was able to get local gigs, North Coast, doing a multitude of things. Web development, wireless networks, small business networks, custom development, etc

Unfortunately I never made more than $1000 a month, and I was generally happy to get that. That's just the way it is and there are many talented "IT guys" here in the country, both gringos and Dominicans.

I'm back working in the states getting some valuable Oracle experience and will have my OCP in a few months. Where I'm working now we outsource our DBA work and are currently paying around $140 an hour for someone remote. That's what I'm working towards.

If you can get anything set up in the US and are able to work remote that would be a good way to go. Of course there's always that "if".

SL