ITCHY ILLEGAL WELL WATER in Santiago?

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
Ok, just when I think ive seen it all. My brother in law( Dominican ) goes to the HOMS in Santiago and the doctor tells him his rash is from showering bad water from the apartment complex. Now the apartment complex gets its water from a new well.

Question 1 - has anyone know anything about this issue?

Then the water company dropped off a letter about 6 months ago stating are water is illegal?

Question 2 - Why would well water be illegal? Maybe because its itchy?
we pay 500 pesos a month for water but im sure not drinking it. Scooter guy delivers bottles for 30 pesos. I hope thats good water.. maybe Ill get some testing done?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depending on the location, the well water could be contaminated with any one of several irritants. The water tank could be contaminated, the cistern could be contaminated...all possible sources of irritants.

Do drink bottled water, and boil any other water...

I forgot to add that in the DR all natural resources are considered to be property of the government. You cannot have a well without paying the piper. You cannot discover oil on your property and keep it or sell it. It belongs to the government. Just another way to strangle initiative...

HB

Reactions: waytogo

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
ok thanks - but if the water is the property of DR, why doesnt the water company go after the clown that built the apartment complex? i threw the paper in the garbage. When the water police come over and shut it off I guess ill pack my **** up and move the wife to Canada.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jerry:
That is exactly what should have been done. Go to the people that sent that paper to you and the others in the complex and tell them just that.
Give them the identity of the company that sold you/rented you the apartment and tell them to go after them for the money...

Or move.

HB

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
You can join with others and send a sample of the water for testing. There are many testing labs. You could also just try ph strips
Another idea when using suspect water for washing is to use antispeptic soap e.g. coal tar and rinse with a sponge with known clean water, maybe with a small amount of dettol or other disinfected added, about a pint after a shower.
Sometimes irritation is from having too much clorine/clorine compounds added.
It is possible to use a tin tub for bathing but leave the water 24 hours to condition d adding just a few drops of bleach.
If the water is too acid or alkali common chemicals - citric acid, baking soda etc. can be used to correct.
Some people do develop a reaction to certain types of soap. Some soap bars are detergent, not soap based. The same brand of soap is not the same in all countries; different perfumes etc. are used.
High levels of perspiration in hot countries may cause problems altering skin chemistry.
Tendencies to psoriasis or eczema etc. exist in some people when combined with sunlight and diet changes. You can look up the causes on the web.

Sooner or later potable piped water will be available to everyone. Plans are in progress and can be examined.

Probably the first thing to try is an antiseptic soap and washing in a gallon or so of drinking water. If the irritation goes away good.
Thereafter if it doesn't change the soap, check diet, take vitamin pills, keep out sun etc.
If it does go away shower in well water but rinse in drinking water. Check ph,chlorine ( does it smell if left in bottle ) etc.

Yanandu

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I live in Santo Domingo and have a well with itchy water. :ermm:

It doesn?t bother me when having a shower, but when I fill my pool and take a dip, there are little things that I can?t see that bite the heck out of me. I am scratching about 5 or 6 big bites now.

Usually some muriatic acid, chlorine and an hour running the filter kills the little buggers. Most of the bites are just below the water level.