Dominican Customs

wizzywigman

Aug 17, 2009
I don't know if there has already been a thread on this, but I would like to see a list of Dominican customs, superstitions, beliefs etc. For example, putting an azabache on baby to protect against 'mal de ojo'. After a women gives birth she doesn't "cojer sereno" or wash her hair for a certain amount of days? Putting an elephant statue in the living room or taking a pciture of a baby on their 1st birthday sitting on the table next to the birthday cake or using the stove to store food. These could very well be the same for other latin american cultures, but I wanted to see a list of interesting customs thats specific to Dominicans.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
When a girl laughs, looks, or smiles at a guy they think she is in love with them and anyone she talks to is her boyfriend...

mudmommy

Oct 14, 2010
I learned that holding a baby in the "sitting position" is wrong,,,,, they beleive it hurts their spine and it does not grow properly,, i had never heard of this until i was holding a 3 week old baby and of course "sat" her on my knee,,,,, and the mother got a little upset with me,,,,

ontheland

Mar 4, 2011
don't wash dye or perm your hair on the first day of your period or you'll go mad??
Or so my wife tells me???

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Two I've come across are 1) Eating bananas gives you phlegm if you have a cold and b) seeds should only be planted when there is a new moon.

Last edited:

wizzywigman

Aug 17, 2009
As far as customs, one that I like is that, when my wife was pregnant, she never had to stand on lines at banks, stores so forth. They usually let pregnant woman go to the front of the line. At least thats been my observance and thats what she has told me. I haven't seen that here in the states.

ontheland

Mar 4, 2011
If you pass the salt straight to someones hand across the table you will fight with that person??? again ! so I'm told
Sorry! going blind is a world wide thing and seeding on a new moon is too..
Hang on I'll get my glasses and read them again.. yes they are asking for just DR customs???
ooh the wife just gave me one more ahaha

If the girl lies on her right side just after sex she will have a baby girl..

Last edited:

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
My Dominican father in law tells me I cant drink my crown royal whiskey with coke. he thinks im going to die or something but its ok to stuff a baby in the car with no car seat.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Taking your socks off after being outside will make you die. So after returning from outside you have to BS around for an hour before you can take your shoes off.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Our maid irons in her bare feet but she won't open the fridge after she's done the ironing.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Been having trouble lately reading the posts........I guess I don't need new glasses:ermm:

B in Santiago

I could possibly help you out with that reading problem. ;)
Sorry folks I couldn't resist making a comment.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I could possibly help you out with that reading problem. ;)
Sorry folks I couldn't resist making a comment.

Don't resist.......PM me......
I can see what's necessary JUST FINE.....:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::classic:
Dulce = Sweet-ness

B in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Don't resist.......PM me......
I can see what's necessary JUST FINE.....:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::classic:
Dulce = Sweet-ness

B in Santiago

Sounds like you can handle the problem at hand!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Why do Dominican women insist on waiting a minimum of two months after having a baby to have sex again?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Well I guess maybe IT HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you tried pushing something that big out a hole that damn small...........!!!!!!!

Just to clarify, I have not but I am thinking it might hurt a heck of a lot...;)