Seeking General advice on Living in both countries.

Davidl919

Mar 4, 2011
www.facebook.com
I am somewhat new or better yet going through a recycling, I had not visited the country on a regulaar basis in over 18 yrs, but my recent trip was a great eye opener.
How do I go about obtaining a cedula, and what is it's US equivalent, I figure it's something like Social security card but just wanted to be sure, it's not a residency
I would like small advice on buying an apartment, I'm planning on looking at some places in May. I prefer buying pre-construction as I have seen the prices are lower with these properties, I figure to look into the history of the developers as to not be stuck with unfinished property, But dont know much else about the buying process over there, but I do know everyone is out to get there piece of the pie, what can I avoid.
I am also buying a car here in the united states and registering it for a year, my uncles tell me that is what I should do, im planning on getting a 2004 or newer Saturn Vue V6, because it's not too flashy but it's basically a rebadged Acura MDX... What are your thoughts on this.. Thanks for any and all assistance.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
As for the Saturn being the equivalent of an Acura... it ISN'T.

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In order to get a cedula, you first must obtain residency. To get your residency going, you can contact DR1's lawyer Dr Guzman who posts on the legal forum. A Cedula is a legal ID card used to conduct business such as banking in the DR. The US does not have such an ID but instead uses a driver's license and sometimes a Social Security number.

Do not get a Saturn, you will not find parts to repair a Saturn in this country. Please consider a Toyota, Nissan or Mitsubishi model that is also sold regularly in the DR. A Toyota RAV4 would be a good first choice.

Pre-construction is VERY risky in this country and even more so in the current world economic climate. It is like rolling the dice as to whether the project will be completed.

Where are you looking to live? Everyone here will tell you to rent for 6 months in the area you are considering before you even consider buying property. Did I cover your current questions? Please do your homework and ask more questions.

Reactions: mountainannie

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Yea, you need to rethink things man, a Saturn VUE is NOT a rebadged version of an ACURA MDX. Who told you that? Saturn is a General Motors car and Acura is a Honda.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Yea, you need to rethink things man, a Saturn VUE is NOT a rebadged version of an ACURA MDX. Who told you that? Saturn is a General Motors car and Acura is a Honda.

he got that idea because at one point in the past, Saturn was buying engines from Honda. (no... they aren't the same engines, either. they didn't say "honda" anywhere on them). Honda is the parent company of Acura.... thus... somehow the false impression that saturn equals honda equals acura. Pretzel logic to be sure, and completely false.

Davidl919

Mar 4, 2011
www.facebook.com
he got that idea because at one point in the past, Saturn was buying engines from Honda. (no... they aren't the same engines, either. they didn't say "honda" anywhere on them). Honda is the parent company of Acura.... thus... somehow the false impression that saturn equals honda equals acura. Pretzel logic to be sure, and completely false.

First thank You, Windeguy your response to my question was a forthright answer to my long post,
as for Captnglenn the engine is a J35A3 used on the following vehicles. J35A3 made and manufactured by Honda

2001 - 2002 Acura MDX
2005 - 2008 Acura RL
2004 - 2007 Saturn Vue L66

The only difference in the engine was the crankshaft and it was still a honda part and they also used the same transmission and they were tuned differently so you had different outputs. Now obviously Cv joints, radiator , Seats, Lights, Fender and etc were different but when the engine and tranny are the heart/ main parts of a vehicle, then I put my trust and reliability on those parts everything else goes through normal wear and tear, Now where is your pretzel logic? Your answer had absolutely nothing positive to add to this, but I'll thank U anyway for your effort to school me.

jaralars

Mar 6, 2011
With twelve years in DR, I basically agree with former comments.
Get here, make a half year to "get the feel of it", THEN decide
on vehicules, living etc. I aimed at SDgo in '98, ended up in
Jarabacoa within 6 months. LIKE IT, even though slightly
"primitive": Vehicle: Honda XL-100, Living: self-built cabin,
Electricity: Solar-Panel etc.
Welcome!

Davidl919

Mar 4, 2011
www.facebook.com
To WindeGuy and Jaralars
I cant commit a full 6 months in the country not until my retirement and that's at least 20 years from now, But I see myself going there a few times a year, already before this upcoming June I would have visited the country 3 times, and I always see myself either staying at my moms house which is empty or at my Aunts. I do spend all my time in Santiago and Tamboril and seldomnly visit family in Santo Domingo. Most of my family is either walking distance or a 10 minute drive on where I plan on buying in Urbanizacion Los hidalgos. I will consider the Cedula after I purchase because I have heard and it may be false that there are certain benefits that new residents are entitled to, within a certain period but I will Contact the resident DR1 Lawyer as Windeguy mentioned. Thank You.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I always see myself either staying at my moms house which is empty or at my Aunts.

your mom is Dominican, then you're a Dominican citizen? if so, your process to get your cedula would be different from that of a foreigner mentioned above

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Still trying to work out what you meant about "both countries". The DR and which other?

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Before retiring here and coming to live here good people seriously evaluate your familial and economic situation as your life shall change alot living here. If someone has a good middle class type of pension or retirement plan to depend on than thats fine. Life in DR is more difficult everything is done on the pana ( buddy) system with under the table connections. The police presence is severely lacking and to be blunt more incompetent than the U.S., Canada, or Europe there is less security here for the foreigner or expats who have lived for many years away from the DR. Its a big risk and the rewards may not be so great. If you are a single guy or no longer pay child support nor have a mortgage back home try it but for a household to come here wooow thats going to be tough unless you're economically sound even then its a whole different cultural environment. One must learn to get accustomed to working for almost meager wages and work alot for those meager pay and trying to survive off that money its a tough life changing gig!!!!