Tricom CellCard

J

James

Does Tricom still have the pre-paid Cell Card? This is the card whereby you can place calls from a mobile phone without setting up service w/ the company. When I was in Boca chica last November the representatives at the Tricom office told such cards were not available?

J

Jim Hinsch

The cards cannot yet be bought in Boca Chica and in fact, I was unable to find them in Sosua either. If you go to a Tricom offices there, they will not know what you are talking about. You can buy them at Tricom in Santo Domingo, or E-mail Ana Garcia at ACGarcia@tricom.com.do for locations where the card is sold.

JimHinsch@CSI.COM

E

Ed

Are these cards any different from the pre-paid cards used for regular (non-cellular) phones?

J

Jim Hinsch

Yes.

See http://www.tricom.net/html/espanol/noticias/980413e.htm for more info.

JimHinsch@CSI.COM

K

Karen

I have trying to call someone from Boston,Ma on a pre paid calling card to D.R. Because they only have a cell phone .The company who puts out the card say's the call wont go through because of that reason(ECONOLO CARD).Do you know of any other card that might work for this call. Or any card I can sendthere for then to call here that will be cheaper.They only charge 1.34 first min and then .9 each min.Please let me know

Karen

J

Jim Hinsch

Those are pretty outrageously high prices.

You can call Joanne Terrien, Telegroup,at 888-832-3613 to get an immediate open ended calling card charged to your credit card at $US0.38/min. (you must ask for "Jim Hinsch's Deal, GA Direct Service). That is the lowest rate I have found with the exception of the TLD card sold in Boca Chica and the one mentioned earlier at US$0.19/min, which I'm still waiting for a response about. There is no restriction about calling cell phones, as I do it all the time, but the cell phone must be one that is activated with service in the DR.

If they do not have the cell phone activated in the DR, NO calling card will work to receive calls. The cell phone must be subscribed to some service to be able to receive calls. Tricom has a service whereby they program the phone (for a fee of about RD$600), and the user can receive calls free of charge but they need their calling card to make calls. This is called the Amigo card.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM