Looking for advice on tipping...

valleycat

Nov 26, 2010
Hi. My wife and I will be arriving in Punta Cana in a few weeks. My question is about tipping. What are the opinions on the amounts that are good to give. We will be staying at an all inclusive, but I would like to make friends with the bartenders especially. :) What would be a good amount? If I gave some at the start of the week and some at the end, or what about a smaller amount each day? We're kind of new to all this holidaying. Any help would be appreciated. Also, do other staff get tipped? Thanks all.

Zap28

Feb 24, 2011
I'm no expert, but we (my family & I) just were in Punta Cana in January. We tipped the housekeeping staff daily ~ we tipped our servers in the restaurants (even the buffet) every now & then... sometimes we had exceptional service, they were right on top of things with us which was really nice. Barely finish our drink/plate & there they were whisking it away, lol. Sometimes we all put a buck or two each & they got a big tip. Cheapy cheapy tips there compared to where we're from. ;)

We tipped the bartenders, but again, not everytime. Just so they knew we appreciated them & there were of course 'favourites'. ;)

I'm excited for you, lol... I LOVED my vacation & can't wait to return. Can I ask where you're staying??

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I am not American and know you/those guys do stuff different, being feel the need to deal cash when they already paid the bills on an A/I.
But on the offchance you are European, ask what day the maid changes and give her a little something on the change day. you will have a change of maids and nice to do them. They do make around 23pesos an hour in the rui hotels and the tips are huge so don't go wild.
Bars, just tip when you feel they have earned it, and not a fortune, these guys are happy as sh1t, they make a fortune from tips.

Don't listen to TA, that advice is responsible for the crap service non tippers get!

tavejen

Mar 4, 2011
No real standard ...

Just returned from Punta Cana on Wednesday and I miss it already ... sigh! Anyways, I always tend to leave a dollar or so daily for housekeeping. People also often bring along little things they can take home to their children like pens, pencils, crayons, books, etc. (all things you can pick up at a $$ store). I tend to give bartenders a dollar each visit, but I don't tend to drink a lot during the day.

As for restaurants ... I always find that to be a tough one. At the a la cartes, you often have more than one person waiting on you. Depending on the service, I will give the primary server a dollar or 2. If I find a server that I particularly like, at the end of the week, I will give them an additional $5 (many of the bartenders and servers will work day and evening shifts).

There's no real standard and it often varies by the resort. Watch what others are tipping, and then just go with what you're comfortable with.

Also, usually the morning after your arrival (depending on the airline), you will meet with your airline representative in the resort. They will usually give you pointers on standard practices.

Enjoy your vacation! It was my first visit and definitely won't be my last!!!!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
As reflected in the two different opinions, I think feelings and tipping practices vary depending on the origin of the particular traveler.

If you're from Europe where tipping is not considered mandatory, and when done is a small amount, (say, like rounding up to the next Euro, or the change from paying the bill); then I'm sure it would seem crazy to tip at an A.I. where you feel you've already paid for everything.

If you hail from the U.S., where tipping is considered an obligation, and an integral part of a server's income; then I'm sure it would seem natural to tip, (despite it being an "all inclusive").

I'm from the U.S. and feel numerous small tips are appropriate and genuinely appreciated in the D.R. (I visited an A.I. in Riviera Maya, Mexico, and it didn't seem that the tips were as appreciated quite as much.) In general, I tip a dollar or two per day to the chambermaid, waiters in the buffets get a couple of dollars, in the a la carte restaurants a few dollars to the primary server and a few to the maitre d, bartenders get at least a buck for each service (one or two drinks), if it's a bunch of drinks they get a couple of dollars (I like to keep the bartenders VERY happy, lol). Occasionally I'll tip other staff, (front desk, room service, etc.) for out of the ordinary services. These people work long hard hours for very little pay, and I think they earn the tips they get.

Does this get you better service? Maybe, but it's not a guarantee. Service will be good regardless. These are highly prized jobs, and people want to keep them. They are dedicated to helping you enjoy your visit. Actually though, I feel it's at least as much, maybe more, important to treat the hotel staff with respect. A friendly smile, and a "hola" goes a long, long way. Sure, the money "talks", but it's not the bottom line. If you tip a couple of dollars and treat people as your new amigos, and then the next guy tips, (maybe even more), but treats people as servants, slaves, or worse; guess who gets the better service?

If you speak any Spanish, even a little, it's fun to use it. Many of the staff will try to help you learn a few words, and actually pride themselves on their language skills. (They need to have at least a working knowledge of many languages.) For me, being friendly with, and getting the chance to learn a little about people in a different culture is a highlight of international travel.

Over a week's stay, my family will go through two or three hundred dollars in various tips. That could actually be more since I never know for sure what my son spends from his own funds. It sounds like a lot, but compared to $6K US and up for a family of 4 adults at a resort for a week, it's not that much. Am I a Gringo tourist sucker? I don't think so. Of course I'm also the guy at the airport that lets the porters handle my luggage, even though I'm quite capable of it and it has wheels anyway. They're just trying to earn a living and that's better than having people beg in the streets.

On my first trip I was really stressed about the whole tipping thing... didn't want to over tip and certainly didn't want to look like a cheap skate... I was just unsure about the whole thing. In the end, it doesn't matter very much. Tip what you feel comfortable with, don't sweat it, and enjoy your visit. After all, it's YOUR vacation!

valleycat

Nov 26, 2010
Just as a note, we are from Canada and are staying at the Bavaro Princess in Punta Cana. Thanks for all the replies and help. It is appreciated.

carlito11

Feb 21, 2011
I travel to Punta Cana often.

Go to the Dollar Store and stock up on some practical things for males, females and children. I leave two things plus a $1. I notice a HUGE difference in the cleanliness of the room when I do this. Also, tip the bartenders and servers everynight $1 and if really good $2.

All of the staff don't expect tips and the service is still amazing without tipping but i find the service EVEN better with a little tip :)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Europeans vs Canoes

What's the difference betwen a European and a canoe?

A canoe tips.

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
In an AI,I normaly give 50RD /day to the chambermaid ,100RD/meal for the waiter,same at the bar.If you tip a small amount everytime ,they get to expect it and you will get good service.On the first day,find the person in charge of taking reservations for the a-la carte restaurant.Introduce yourself and give him $10 or $20 USD,You will then have no problems getting in even if you used all your vouchers.
As far as giving little gifts from the dollar store,it works better in Cuba than in the DR.Here,with money,they can buy everything,unlike Cuba.
Just a suggestion.
Regards
Mike

Hi. My wife and I will be arriving in Punta Cana in a few weeks. My question is about tipping. What are the opinions on the amounts that are good to give. We will be staying at an all inclusive, but I would like to make friends with the bartenders especially. :) What would be a good amount? If I gave some at the start of the week and some at the end, or what about a smaller amount each day? We're kind of new to all this holidaying. Any help would be appreciated. Also, do other staff get tipped? Thanks all.

My advise would be to change 100 dollars into pesos and get it all in 50s pesos if you can, Leave your maid 100 pesos a day for cleaning your room is sufficient and tip your bartenders in pool and beach 50 pesos every so often and you will be never waiting on a drink.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
CaptnGlenn said it right,
a smile and friendliness goes a long way and brings smiles and friendliness back to you.

as far as the monetary tips,
also agreement to Glenn,
it should be what You yourself feel comfo with.
we usually leave(as a couple, not per person) 200 pesos per day for the room maid, 100 at the breakfast table, 100 at the lunch table, 200 at the dinner table, 50 and 100 pesos bills once in a while(not every visit) at the Bars.

stuff from the dollar store I do not find much helpfull, a certain Person can only receive and use just so many parfumes or hats or ...,
with a dollar or 50 pesos in hand the same person can purchase what is actually needed in the house or take a cold beers on His/Her Day off to enjoy the Free Time.

as for the difference between Central Europeans(I am born German) and US Americans(I spent theer quiet some years), it is a old thingy.
in cetral European Coutnries the products offered at any shop/store.restaurant show a Complete Rate/Price, including all taxes and all Service Fees, and the Employees really receive their appropriate portion of such included Fees as part of their Salaries.

on the other side of the Ocean it is very diffeerntm
a product show's just it's Price, the Product's Price, then the Local Taxes plus State Taxes plus Service etc etc get addd when you hit da Cashier, a German who is New to the USA will during his first time never have a clue about how much he really has to pay at the cashier when simply watching the Price-sign on a product, because he is used to see a Price Total there, but it isn't.
so in the USA service providing stuff such as the waitress at a resturant, earns a very small fix salary compared to their European Counterparts, and relies on the Tips and of course awaits a appropriate tip from each client served.

in the DR Bills including the receipt for the purchase of an AI Vacation show an 10% service Fee/Tax included, but don't think that the Stuff who served your meal would get a 10% out of Your Vaca Rate.
their fix salaries are low and for a real living they rely on a good amount of Tips.

even at an AI,
who treat's me and the Mrs nice, means with prompt service and a smile on the face, get's his/her Tip on the table, others don't.

Mike

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Want people to REALLY remember you? If you're in the states, go to your bank, and buy a hundred bucks or so of 2 dollar bills.(yes, you can still get them)

Hand those out for tips. The novelty of them will have people remembering you when you return..

That seems like a good idea. I did it a couple of times also tried giving US coin change as tips. They liked the novelty of it but the problem is that they couldn't spend them. The banks,cambios and stores won't accept them. Strange but true.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Seems a bit daft tipping people with something they can't spend. Infact more than daft!:ermm:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
At the time I gave them as tips I didn't know they couldn't use them and neither did they until they tried.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
They CAN be used here, just not everywhere.

The point of giving them out as tips is for people to REMEMBER YOU.

I've never given one to anyone that didn't want it. They were always accepted gladly.

Obviously, you don't give the maid a 2 dollar bill every day during your vacation. THAT would be daft.

I would name it simply
Taca?o

Mike

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
Bring back a bag of one peso to Canada.It looks a lot like a loony.Give it as tip.They will remember you. LOL
mike

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Want people to REALLY remember you? If you're in the states, go to your bank, and buy a hundred bucks or so of 2 dollar bills.(yes, you can still get them)

Hand those out for tips. The novelty of them will have people remembering you when you return..

Reminds me of a gift my wife got at work at Christmas. The have a little gift exchange, max of $20 US, and whoever gave her gift took a bunch of $2 bills and made a miniature tree out of them. It was creative and unique.

Probably not a great idea in the D.R. though. LOL

About giving personal care items from the dollar store, or school supplies for the kids; I think some years back someone in the media thought they were being very clever and came up with the idea, (probably on Oprah or something like that). The idea caught on, and was repeated in the media and various travel advice resources -- online, travel books, etc. The idea was/is especially popular among the soccer mom types. Don't get me wrong, I think their hearts are in the right place; but I agree with Mike and others, people can better use the cash and buy what they need.

Besides, when you're traveling it's a lot easier to carry a couple of bundles of dollars in your pocket, rather than a bag full of crap from the dollar store. LOL