Going to Haiti

Sue_J_0426

Mar 5, 2011
I will be leaving this March for a business trip. But I?m afraid to get Cholera in Haiti. Though on my research, it is said that travelers are not at high risk of getting it and just make sure to bring a prescription antibiotic to take in case of diarrhea, Water purification tablets, Oral rehydration salts. Also, based in this site, Cholera - Traveller's Guide from MASTA , ?Get cholera vaccination at least two weeks before you travel?. Do you agree? Is vaccination can really help me?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Cholera really isn't a big deal as you may have first thought.
I doubt you are going to be swimming in the rivers in Haiti or eating food washed in the village streams, or sewer so I see no need to over react.
Bring the Antibiotic, no probs, :paranoid: Yah!!!

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Cholera really isn't a big deal as you may have first thought.
I doubt you are going to be swimming in the rivers in Haiti or eating food washed in the village streams, or sewer so I see no need to over react.
Bring the Antibiotic, no probs, :paranoid: Yah!!!

"Stacio is about right
The risk is higher in rural areas, but:

Don't drink local water, don't eat street food including fruit and juices, or anything with ice in it, wash your hands frequently.
A medicated soap and hand sanitizer is a good idea.
Watch for early symptoms of diarrhea - if you get diarrhea, drink lots of rehydrant like Gatorade and seek qualified medical advice immediately.
Bryan

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Prevention is the best method...

I take the Dukkoral Oral Vaccine which protects against cholera and travellers diarrea every 4 months because I travel a lot and have never had any stomach problems so I guess you can say it's working... You can get it with or without a prescription and you simply mix it with water and drink it about 2 weeks or so before you travel. You need to take 2 doses initially and then repeat a booster dose every 4 months or so if you plan to be travelling again etc...