How to become a Dominican Citizen?

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
If I have a parent that is Dominican is it easier for me to become a Dominican Citizen? and how do I go about doing that? Does it have to be done in the capital or can it also be done in santiago?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
that answers zero questions. I want to know if it's easier if I have a dominican parent and how exactly to obtain my citizenship in santiago. If I'm supposed to get a residence card then how exactly do I get it? which I think I don't need it

Yes, I would think it easier if you have a Dominican parent. I sem to recall this being asked before and answered by Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions in this section. But hold tight and hope that he will find and answer your question.

Skim through these and see if you can find anything
http://www.dr1.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5303527

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Don't worry, I think it will be relatively painless.

Also, before you think of paying big bucks to an attorney you can probably do most of the paperwork yourself.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
yeah, I don't have big bucks to spend anyways =P I hope it doesn't take too long to get it done.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
Ok, this is what I have heard, I need to bring my birth certificate, and one of my parents birth certificate to a dominican consulate in the states to stamp it or whatever. I am told it will cost 150 dollars, WTF?!?! and then I need to have it translated in the dr and notarized which costs 1800 pesos, and then I take it to the capital or something. Ok, so the question is, do I need to take it to the consulate in the US and pay 150 dollars? is that even right?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Ok, this is what I have heard, I need to bring my birth certificate, and one of my parents birth certificate to a dominican consulate in the states to stamp it or whatever. I am told it will cost 150 dollars, WTF?!?! and then I need to have it translated in the dr and notarized which costs 1800 pesos, and then I take it to the capital or something. Ok, so the question is, do I need to take it to the consulate in the US and pay 150 dollars? is that even right?

Sounds about right. Most things need to get that stamp, just a way for them to make more money. When I lived in Santiago my daughter's school said I needed her American report card stamped and this was halfway through the school year! I had to catch a plane to NY to go to the consulate. Bit it was only $50 if I remember correctly. Supposedly, they are "verifying" the document. By verifying, I mean some consulate employee with too much makeup on looks at it, stamps it, and says "Cinquenta peso, Mami"......its all very official.

SHALENA

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
Sounds about right. Most things need to get that stamp, just a way for them to make more money. When I lived in Santiago my daughter's school said I needed her American report card stamped and this was halfway through the school year! I had to catch a plane to NY to go to the consulate. Bit it was only $50 if I remember correctly. Supposedly, they are "verifying" the document. By verifying, I mean some consulate employee with too much makeup on looks at it, stamps it, and says "Cinquenta peso, Mami"......its all very official.

SHALENA

It's all bull crap, stamping, translating, notarizing, other crap, just to steal our money. I can't afford that, so I'm just gonna have to forget it for now :tired: I'm gonna have to get it eventually though

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009

I did the process here byself to get my dominican citizenship. I was born in the states however my mother is a dominican citizen. Here is what you need to do.

1. You will need to get your birth certificate and it must be apostille certified (important because they will not accept it without it) Before the Dominican consulate would certify it but no longer.

2. You will need to get your birth certificate translated into spanish by official licensed translator in DR.

3. You will then need to take the translated birth certificate to La Oficina de La Procuraduria to get it legalized.

4. You will need to get a copy of one of your parents birth certificates, you will need to know what office their birth certificate is filed and go there to request a copy of it. Also you will need to get a copy of their cedula as well.

5. With all documents in a folder, then go to La Junta Central Electoral (JCE) to el Departamento de Juridica. Present the documents, along with a copy of the parent’s cedula, a copy of the parent’s valid birth certificate, and a “solicitud” (which you can get at the JCE) in a manila folder. Include in your folder a copy of all documents, and make copies for your personal records. You will be asked what "oficialia" you would like to be filed at, you should pick one that is close to you as you will be going there for your birth certificate will be registered.

6. After a 1-2weeks (you show have date on the piece of paper given to you when you dropped off the documents) you will return to JCE to pickup authorization for a birth certificate and take it to the "oficialia" you chose ealier. Then after a week or so you will be able to get your Dominican birth certificate, and with that you can now go ahead and apply for a cedula.

I post most that I remember when I did mine, and I copied some info from the knowledge base.

Thanks

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
It's all bull crap, stamping, translating, notarizing, other crap, just to steal our money. I can't afford that, so I'm just gonna have to forget it for now :tired: I'm gonna have to get it eventually though

Poor you :cheeky:

Becoming a citizen of any country cost a lot of money. If you don't have a least $675.00 for the process, you should look for a job.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
It seems you have already seen the knowledgbase. This question has been asked many times before. Follow exactly what this link says, which was already posted:

Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service - Support (DR1)

It's really an easy process. I did it years ago. You will have to visit the capital and DO NOT go by what the Dominican consulate will give you in the US. It's a song and a dance.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
why

!WHY!

Why would you want to have DR citizenship, if you have either american, canadian or other 1st world country citizenship?

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
!WHY!

Why would you want to have DR citizenship, if you have either american, canadian or other 1st world country citizenship?

1. Because I reside in the Dominican Republic. So, it is stupid to pay a $10 tourist fee each time I enter the country when traveling, or fines when I overstay the card.

2. I am legal citizen living here and not a tourist overstaying their visa. It has made my life a lot easier for things like driver's license, service contracts, bank accounts, starting a business, etc.

3. I can go to Cuba no with worries since I am a US citizen :)

Last edited:

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
residence

get your residency and it gets you all that and all the entrada son gratis.

if you really want to be a citizen, I could care less, but for me and mine, as in my children born here I would prefer they not even have dual citizenship.

They will be raised as Americans, weather we continue to live here or move back to the USA.

g'luck

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

if you really want to be a citizen, I could care less, but for me and mine, as in my children born here I would prefer they not even have dual citizenship.

They will be raised as Americans, weather we continue to live here or move back to the USA.

g'luck

Well, if your kids were born in the DR and either you or your wife is a Dominican citizen, your kids are Dominican citizens weather you like it or not.

?Pero creo que tu eres un acomplejado si eres dominicano!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well, if your kids were born in the DR and either you or your wife is a Dominican citizen, your kids are Dominican citizens weather you like it or not.

?Pero creo que tu eres un acomplejado si eres dominicano!

a lo mejor boricua :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
a lo mejor boricua :)
What?s the meaning of "boricua", Google translate would not translate the word?
And my Spanish is too bad to understand the word.

I did find on Google translate that "boricu" translates to "Puerto Rican", but that only led me to more confusion as I did not see anything in the thread referring to Puerto Rico.

But at 3 in the morning, my eyes could be playing tricks on me! ;) lol

Don

Reactions: Bronxboy

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net

g'luck

This may be fine for you but I wanted to be a citizen. I'm proud of my dual citizenship because I love the Dominican Republic as well as the US. Getting my residency would have been the same process so I decided on a citizenship, as I am entitled to it.

Some people may mock at this comment with the political landscape of the Dominican Republic, but I enjoy the fact that I can vote and have a small say in the country where I live.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
What?s the meaning of "boricua", Google translate would not translate the word?
And my Spanish is too bad to understand the word.

I did find on Google translate that "boricu" translates to "Puerto Rican", but that only led me to more confusion as I did not see anything in the thread referring to Puerto Rico.

But at 3 in the morning, my eyes could be playing tricks on me! ;) lol

Don

lol

Puerto Rican people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia