Is Codetel VPN Blocking my magicjack???

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
I think Codetel is VPN Blocking my MJ because I had to download this hotspot program to fix the ERROR 3 i was always getting on my MJ. I works better now but the Hotspot program changes my brower and has this annoying pop up video that is a pain.
Now im in canada and the hotspot software is off and it all works great.
I dont know if this is just codetel doing this in the DR?

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
Also - IF I have a Vonage VOIP can I use it in DR because there is no computer required for usage like MJ needs. Therefore, I cant install the Hotspot program to fool the VPN blocking. I hope someone knows more about this???

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
My Magicjack always works with Claro. Never had a problem in 3 years.

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
Does vonage sound nice and clear?
I guess you dont need a computer with vonage. and who is your internet provider?

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Both my Vonage and MJ work in DR.

My Vonage tends to be very choppy when my bandwith is low, which is often, or when I have many downloads going.

I can't comment on the MJ quality because I don't use it often.

My provider is Codetel in Santo Domingo.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Just Encountered Same Problem and Found Solution

Last night I had trouble with my Magic Jack. It kept cutting off after three or four minutes. This afternoon, it would not connect to the internet and I got an "Error 3."

After four plus hours with Magic Jack tech support, I was informed that Error 3 means that the ISP (Codetel) is blocking ports 5060 and 5070. They suggested that I ask Codetel to open those ports, but I was not optimistic about the chances of success with that idea.

I did some serious googling, and found that it is possible to go into the Codetel router and do port forwarding for those two ports. Found and followed the instructions and within forty minutes, my Magic Jack was connected and operating properly.

If anyone else runs into the same problem, I went to this website:

How To Find Your Router's IP Address - PortForward.com

followed their instructions to create a static IP address and then went into the router and forwarded the two ports in question. It worked.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Just Encountered Same Problem and Found Solution

Sorry, double post!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just talked to my daughter for 27 minutes with no problem....

I have an extra, brand new MagicJack if someone wants it...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nope, just plugged 'er in and made the call. This unit has given me great service for over 2 years now, maybe closer to 3...sometimes the sound was not the best, but that was more related to the CODETEL speeds than anything else. Since they doubled my speed to 190kbps the calls seem to go quite well.

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
when ever you get an error (internet not connecting on MJ) just restart the DSL modem and let it reboot. You may have to repeat this 2+ times if the problem is not resolved. Remember, do not restart just the router if the modem is apart. You must re-start the modem. Many new router are modem/router combo so it would be ok to restart the unit.
AZB

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
I did reset the modem three times, but the Magic Jack still gave me the error message. After the port forwarding, it was fine.

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
A little off-topic...
If you are calling to the United States, all calls to the US are free using Google phone. They were planning to put a small charge on these calls back in January, but I guess they had a change of heart.... Local and other calls need to have a funded account that they can draw from. I use Codetel.... there doesn't seem to be any problems of being cut-off during a call or anything like that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Using the Magic Jack dongle for SKYPE or GoogleVoice audio

I have a MagicJack that works well enough. I have also used the MagicJack dongle to allow me to connect a cordless phone to it and use it with Skype and GoogleVoice by adjusting the audio devices settings in those programs to use the TigerJet device.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I?ve never had a problem with Magic Jack.. I also have OOMA... Works great.. sometimes I have issues calling out.. but rarely. Bandwidth is slow I?m in Barahona.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
For the last couple of weeks I cannot receive incoming calls with MJ. Even when my computer is off people in the US do not get my voicemail. They get a message saying the call is being routed improperly. I have no problem with outgoing calls. Yesterday I tried calling my MJ number with my Claro phone and the call went through fine.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
For the last couple of weeks I cannot receive incoming calls with MJ. Even when my computer is off people in the US do not get my voicemail. They get a message saying the call is being routed improperly. I have no problem with outgoing calls. Yesterday I tried calling my MJ number with my Claro phone and the call went through fine.

Apparently it is working now. There was an upgrade they preformed.