Shake Down In Sousa

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Returning from lunch at Cabarete today I turned right at the car wash and there was a roadblock with 2 traffic cones and 4 guys with shotguns, 1 suv ( not official )

They were stopping people to get cash and were wearing something that said G2...must mean they graduated from grade 2 and now ask for propinas for gasoline.

Next time I see any road block i will stop and go the other way.

They did ask for my papers for the scooter and did have 3 motoconcho guys quasi detained.

My advice is to not drive on that road.

I gave them 100 pesos for gasoline / presidente

Reactions: Bronxboy
E

engineerfg

I love the G2 hat guys with zero identification around their necks. I was stopped twice in the east last weekend. bastardos!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I guess there is no cash available to stop the extortion....You really do need to turn around at the first sign of a road block!

The best part is they never chase you unlike......

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I guess there is no cash available to stop the extortion....You really do need to turn around at the first sign of a road block!

The best part is they never chase you unlike......

...and they won't delete your post!
Didn't you convert your seat to a cooler a while back?
:cool:

PS: Holy Guacamole Batman, I can't believe you mispelled Sosua!

Last edited:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
...and they won't delete your post!
Didn't you convert your seat to a cooler a while back?
:cool:

PS: Holy Guacamole Batman, I can't believe you mispelled Sosua!

The Longbo 125 scooter comes with a compartment under the seat whereby you can put a six pack on Ice and explore the island or charge up the hill!

Some people would think that the compartment under the seat was also somewhere you could secure you're helmet and it is!

What's great about the beer cooler under the seat is when you throw in a bag of ice it cleans your scooter as you drive...

This place is great~

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
My husband has been stopped twice by these guys. He speaks English to them and they let him go, no problems. He says that it must not be worth the hassle to them to try to extort someone in a different language ;)

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I was stopped at the same place a few sunday nights ago, there were 6 G2's. I was on my motorcylce, no helmet, no insurance, no drivers license and no matricula. They wanted to take my bike to Puerto Plata and I said "no way"...they said they needed gas for their truck, so I gave them 500 pesos and they said "a guy like you will never have problems in this country". Life is good.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I was stopped at the same place a few sunday nights ago, there were 6 G2's. I was on my motorcylce, no helmet, no insurance, no drivers license and no matricula. They wanted to take my bike to Puerto Plata and I said "no way"...they said they needed gas for their truck, so I gave them 500 pesos and they said "a guy like you will never have problems in this country". Life is good.

500 pesos....What route do you take, I can make a living off of you....
If these guys are spending all their time shaking people down,
WHO'S MINDING THE STORE..........

B in Santiago

baby bori

May 18, 2010
They are like the special forces, CIA, and FBI, all rolled into one, only much more um...... efficient.

Much more corrupt crooks caring less about about the law and more about scamming people for money. Did I say law in this country the DR ooops relatively nonexistent!!!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Oxymoron

G-2 is an intelligence and investigative group from the military. They're the ones usually looking for specific people or groups. If an easy gringo target rolls through their operation I guess it's hard to resist.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
happens a lot

I have had the best luck in pretending to be a tourist just off the boat who does not speak a word of Spanish. In the US no police stop and ask you for money. I just play dumb (not hard to do) and tell them to speak English. After a time they give up and you drive on. Its a mild annoyance that I have gotten used to. I never have given them a cent. And that goes for those annoying wind shield washer kids. Paying them only encourages them.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
500 pesos....What route do you take, I can make a living off of you....
If these guys are spending all their time shaking people down,
WHO'S MINDING THE STORE..........

B in Santiago

Back in Canada my ticket would have been way over 1000 bucks and my bike gone....very happy to give them a whole 15 bucks. :cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.