Young female teaching in DR

Canadian1212

Mar 6, 2011
I am currently taking a course to get my certification so I can teach english as a second language in public schools in Dominican Republic, I have been so excited for this because I feel my heart is in Dominican, I love everything about the country and everytime I leave from a visit it kills me. But I have recently came across blogs and discussions saying that dominican is an extremely dangerous place for a young female like myself to me teaching. I really need opinions whether this is true or not. Also is every single man down there just out for your money or is it possible to find love?

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Welcome to DR1.

1. Is the DR safe for a young female?

If you are unfamiliar with the culture, you open yourself up to a few things. You can get ripped off (monetarily) because of your innocence or naivete. It's preferable to have a contact you trust ready to help you. There are different rules for societal behavior. It often means having to go through a long period of readjustment which can be depressing. You have to dress and act conservatively in this culture.

2. I don't think every man wants your money, but a lot of men want to get in your pants. There are exceptions. Rules of dating are different in DR. Best to go through the above "readjustment" before jumping in to anything.

I will also add that teaching English probably won't pay you a living wage. Meaning: you have to have $$ for short and long term planning.

I will also add the it is called the Dominican Republic, rare is the instance that people on this board cotton to the notion of calling it "The Dominican". I guess it sounds like calling the US "The United". So, call it DR or the Dominican Republic for the most help on here. :)

ps. I am a teacher who lived there for two months in a small town, and the rules were tough. However I would try again, only in a larger city this time and with more money saved.

Reactions: mountainannie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would not think of teaching at any "public" school...The mere idea is absurd. (Unless you are independently wealthy and can afford to live on "maybe" 275$US a month...with luck. I cannot even imagine you getting a job onthe public payroll,anyway.

Now, that said, there are lots of private schools that need English teachers. There are bi-national centers that need English teachers (Am I nuts or have I said all this before???)

Go to job fairs and see if you can get hired from overseas...much better salary.

HB

Canadian1212

Mar 6, 2011
Thanks to both replies, you've been a good help!, how much money US do you reccommend having with you , for say a year stay, and may I add I meant private schooling not public**:)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
12K to be spent during Your Year,
and some "Emergency Backup" available in case something not expected would occure, such as accident/health issues etc.
what you really need for a year depends a lot on what You expect/want to do/want to have aside of teaching.
some school employments provide you with great possibilities of room rentals for their teachers and close to the "Campus" without the need of too high Travel costs every day, so much less money would be needed at hand.
if You get a good Job Hired from "abroad" you may not need much due a good salary received, but for a Young "beginner" teacher I doubt such.
check out for Job opportunities first,
and then come back here and let us know Where and How you may get hired, then we can give better figures about that specific Place/Circumstances.

good luck

Mike

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You say you love everything about the country, but not knowing these things leads me to believe you do not know the country at all. Yes you need to gain experience by doing it, but it is extremely different than what I expect may be your experience, I could be wrong.
Consider spending a short time outside of an A/I just to get a feel before wasting time searching and committing to something you ain't gunna like.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
EVERY DOMINICAN MAN,that works in the "All Inclusive" Resorts

Where you have obviously been staying,IS,only out for your money!
They are good at what they do,which is make lonely tourist girls feel that they are a "Queen",and the only girl he truly "loves"!"
DR1 forums have 100s of stories like yours.Never heard of a "Happy Ending"!
Find a nice Canadian guy!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Reactions: MikeFisher

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Now Chrisssssssss, nobody here has hinted at such a reason for her to regret leaving the DR...for shame.

It was in the back of my mind, however.

That said: I just met on Sunday afternoon a couple of teachers at OM Hostos school that teach in English....New Horizons hires young persons every year and Santiago Christian School also hires. However, you might be late for 2011 -2012 School year, but I do not know.

Talk to Maine Girl...she has been here and done that!

And She speaketh the truth...

HB

Reactions: MikeFisher