Transportation from POP to Cabarete

amybh

Mar 6, 2011
We're going to be flying into POP in a few weeks and will be heading to a small hotel in Cabarete. We're wondering about cheap options for transportation from the airport into Cabarete.

We used to live in Santiago so we're familiar with transportation in the DR but we've never landed at POP airport before.

Thanks for your help!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Walk away to the main road (half a mile) and catch a carro publico....

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
About a Dollar fifty per person.
Unbeatable $$$1.50 P/P

A comfortable taxi will cost you 35. bucks.

JJ

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Walk away to the main road (half a mile) and catch a carro publico....

JJ

The publicos that pass by the access road to the airport have a red box on the top. They will take you to Sosua. Not sure what the charge from there is to Sosua, maybe 20 pesos, but no more than 25. Stay in the car until it gets to its terminal, where you will have to walk a very short distance to the terminal of the cars that go from Sosua to Cabarete and beyond. From Sosua to Cabarete is 25 pesos.

Alternatively, when you get to the highway from the airport terminal, you could take a guagua. It will take you all the way to Cabarete for 10 pesos or so less than the publicos.

amybh

Mar 6, 2011
thanks

Thanks for all your suggestions and information. We lived in Santiago for two years so we're used to taking lots of crazy, jam-packed transportation. We'll probably try the cheap but smushed method. We just weren't sure how it would work from the POP airport. Thanks much! It sounds very workable.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
From the airport to Sosua is 25RD per seat. From Sosua to Cabarete is 25RD per seat. You can buy up any extra seats at the same rate and not be smushed! So you can have the whole car from Sosua and pay 150 RD. What a deal.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From the airport to Sosua is 25RD per seat. From Sosua to Cabarete is 25RD per seat. You can buy up any extra seats at the same rate and not be smushed! So you can have the whole car from Sosua and pay 150 RD. What a deal.

When you buy the whole car they usuall8y charge more than 6 seats, claiming that they might pick up and drop several times, thus getting more than the one-person price. However, with the airport so close, they would probably be happy to sell the 6 seats. However,if it were me and an empty car happened to come by, I would not offer to buy the 6 seats because the chance of getting many passengers in the short distance remaining is not very great.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Buy 4 seats in the back from airport to sosua and from sosua to cabarette. He can sell the front seat along the way as much as he wants and that way he can't complain or try to get more out of you

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I still find it bizarre that people will fly into the country and then seek multiple transport just to the hotel, its only 1000pesos in a private cab to get your belongings to safety in double quick time, and to the door.

Maybe I'm just lazy.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I still find it bizarre that people will fly into the country and then seek multiple transport just to the hotel, its only 1000pesos in a private cab to get your belongings to safety in double quick time, and to the door.

Maybe I'm just lazy.
One of my friends went to SD years ago to get RD $6,000. of monthly rent from a property he was renting, when he got off Metro Bus St. took a carro publico instead of a Taxi trying to save some Pesos but when he got home there it was nothing $$$ left in his pockets...
Some one pick her pockets in the carro publico.

JJ

Last edited:

amybh

Mar 6, 2011
I never thought of doing that. We knew that one person could "buy" the whole front seat but these are great ideas! Many thanks!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I doubt very much he will sell you the seats all the way to cabarete. He will make more money between the airport and Sosua than what you might pay to buy the seats up to cabaret so I doubt that will happen.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Its two different cars - one airport to sosua, the other sosua to cabarete. And yes they will sell you the whole front,the whole back or the whole car -the unknown is the price!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Its two different cars - one airport to sosua, the other sosua to cabarete. And yes they will sell you the whole front,the whole back or the whole car -the unknown is the price!

Hahaha, bonus for stating the obvious, I was talking about for 25pesos a seat. Sure he will sell the seats for the right price, probably saving them little pesos to get a cab to the hotel door. Arsing around in publicos, IMO a pain in the arse I can't be bothered with with luggage and hanging around roadsides with it. Even for the sakes of sitting down a having bear after the flight. Anyway, do as will, have an good trip.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Hahaha, bonus for stating the obvious, I was talking about for 25pesos a seat. Sure he will sell the seats for the right price, probably saving them little pesos to get a cab to the hotel door. Arsing around in publicos, IMO a pain in the arse I can't be bothered with with luggage and hanging around roadsides with it. Even for the sakes of sitting down a having bear after the flight. Anyway, do as will, have an good trip.

I misunderstood your post Anastacio, sorry.

I am with you. I also would not bother after a flight and all the hassle, I also would simply get in a cab after I negotiated.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I misunderstood your post Anastacio, sorry.

I am with you. I also would not bother after a flight and all the hassle, I also would simply get in a cab after I negotiated.
I would paid the right fee, no I would pay a little bit more taking in consideration the long line those guys have to make to get to the first turn.
Some time they have a ride to Sosua in all day.

JJ