San Pedro de Macoris?

Zap28

Feb 24, 2011
Anyone have any info to share? Good place to live? What is it like?

Saw a rental online for just under $1000US is this a good price? It included a bunch of 'luxuries' (jacuzzi, pool, air conditioning & everything you need to 'live' ~ linens, utensils, appliances etc)

Sounds too good to be true?? It's close to the beach, pics are beautiful, furnished apartment, 2bdrms, 2 bathrooms... the list goes on. I'm wondering what's wrong with this place? There has to be a catch??

Anyone??

Zap28

Feb 24, 2011
I realize for the luxuries, that price is probably really good... what I meant in asking was the place itself... crime rate, safety, cleanliness, location to other surrounding cities etc.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
$1000 is a lot. Where did you see it online? It is overpriced and catered to an American with loose pockets.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Sp

I have lived in Juan Dolio next to San Pedro for years. I am across the street from the beach, have many amenities, pool, security etc....and pay less than $600 a month for a 2bdrm. San Pedro is crazy, dirty, loud, I would never want to live there, although I visit often.

Why not check out Juan Dolio? that price does seem REALLY high for that city, and JD is only 10 minutes away. Let me know if you want any assistance

D

Zap28

Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for the input... seems I don't know anything about anything, lol. I figured it was a decent price, lol. I am not rich by any means ~ just figured with everything it offered.

Dana, thank you... I will definitely check it out b/c I'm interested in finding a decent place to stay should I get the opportunity to come live for a while. ;)

Expect a PM from me at some point, lol. Appreciate your input. xx

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have lived in Juan Dolio next to San Pedro for years. I am across the street from the beach, have many amenities, pool, security etc....and pay less than $600 a month for a 2bdrm. San Pedro is crazy, dirty, loud, I would never want to live there, although I visit often.

Why not check out Juan Dolio? that price does seem REALLY high for that city, and JD is only 10 minutes away. Let me know if you want any assistance

D

This advice is totally correct ,,Juan Dolio has several great restaurants , two very good beaches , and various other attractions and is much cleaner than san pedro ..maybe hard to get a place there as cheap as in San Pedro

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Anything you find online is going to be more expensive.
It is best to go there and look for tons of places with for rent signs. I agree with DanaP to check out JD. I am sure you will find something cheaper than $1000 in JD. For sure there are much more expensive places in JD too if you only look at the new condos. San Pedro is no place for a rookie.

Zap28

Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for all the input... I feel like I have at least a bit to go on now.

If I could just go there and check it out, I would... but not in the cards for me right now. I rely on the good ppl of dr1 & a select few elsewhere. ;)

I TOTALLY appreciate ANY info/help/guidance.

People "in real life" think I'm not serious about this, but I am. I figure the best steps to take now are research & set a plan. Find a part of the country I wanna stay at and go from there.

Thanks again. xx

Mar 8, 2013
Spm

Anyone have any info to share? Good place to live? What is it like?

Saw a rental online for just under $1000US is this a good price? It included a bunch of 'luxuries' (jacuzzi, pool, air conditioning & everything you need to 'live' ~ linens, utensils, appliances etc)

Sounds too good to be true?? It's close to the beach, pics are beautiful, furnished apartment, 2bdrms, 2 bathrooms... the list goes on. I'm wondering what's wrong with this place? There has to be a catch??

Anyone??

tje problem is criminality. As a gringo, I went there with a couple dominican girls, we got stuck in traffic, and wanted to disappear. And I'm not scared easily. We were in a very bad neighborhood and people all looked angry and poor. Some were ramping on the streets, other their faces half burned, etc. A common sight there. Cops are 6 in pick up trucks with shotguns and rifles ready to shoot, others are on motorcycles, again with shotguns.

I disliked it very much. Ugly,quite shocking to be honest. So many people living in that hell hole,, I just can't believe some are living in this place.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
very interesting...and welcome to the forum with your first post...:)
tje problem is criminality. As a gringo, I went there with a couple dominican girls, we got stuck in traffic, and wanted to disappear. And I'm not scared easily. We were in a very bad neighborhood and people all looked angry and poor. Some were ramping on the streets, other their faces half burned, etc. A common sight there. Cops are 6 in pick up trucks with shotguns and rifles ready to shoot, others are on motorcycles, again with shotguns.

I disliked it very much. Ugly,quite shocking to be honest. So many people living in that hell hole,, I just can't believe some are living in this place.