Help with a Dental Implant.

fulanita

Feb 10, 2010
Hi

This questions goes to those who have had implants or mayor restaurations here and live/travel abroad.

I have a infected molar that needs to be extracted and the adjacent premolar and molar are missing therefore I will need to have at least two implants , the doctor tells me that the molar that needs to be extracted needs a bone graft to install an implant and that i will need to stay at least to month here in the country ( I live in US have family here) to wait for the bone graft to heal and install the implant.

My question is does one really need to spend such a lenghty amount of time here in the country or travel frequently to get any restorative dentla work done?

Im unemployed in the US and need t owork to cover these expenses and bills back home. any advice and personal experiences would be appreciated

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I think you would be best advised to get a SECOND opinion from a DENTIST. I have recently declined the bone graft idea on the grounds of not being really essential to fitting my implants. The period of healing for the bone graft I was informed was 5 to 6 months so that too differs from what you seem to have been told.

Tell us where you live & need this implant to be done & I am sure someone will have a GOOD dentist to pass on to you - someone they would trust the answers/advice of.

Good luck ~ Grahame.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I go to Dr Quinones here,, at Clinic Abreu, who is, I think, head of the association of MaxioFacial surgeons.Anyway, he a top guy who does major face reconstructions after accidents.

We were working on three implants but he put the posts in two.. in the first molar there was not enough bone. He never even MENTIONED the possiblity of a bone graft. He said that I did have to wait for the pin to take root in the bone, three months, before he could start to build the implant on it, since often the bone will not hold the implant. But there was no need for me to actually stay in the country for this. I could have been anywhere

Sure enough, it did not hold. The pin just came out.

I think that you need another opinion. PM if you want his number.. but he is in SD ..

nomads

Oct 31, 2007
dental implant

Recently had a implant done in Canada that required a bone graft . The whole process took from the end of May to the beginning of Dec. Except for the antibiotics I was able to carry on as normal. Everything went well. Unless there is a reason for concern I suspect you could go home to the States
Good luck , It ain't no picnic.

fulanita

Feb 10, 2010
thanks mountainannie , I will look into a second opinion.

Im in Santo Domingo .

this dentist said the tooth root is too small to fit an implant but it will become too wide if stretched to fit because of the other canal/roots the tooth has.

somehow that idea sounded fishy to me. and dont know if someone is trying to take advange. he treated last year and treated me well...even did a filling free of charge.

any recomendations and experiences are still welcomed.

May 5, 2007
thanks mountainannie , I will look into a second opinion.

Im in Santo Domingo .

this dentist said the tooth root is too small to fit an implant but it will become too wide if stretched to fit because of the other canal/roots the tooth has.

somehow that idea sounded fishy to me. and dont know if someone is trying to take advange. he treated last year and treated me well...even did a filling free of charge.

any recomendations and experiences are still welcomed.

I'm no dentist, but when he starts talking about size of root etc I would think that is in reference to a post and crown

I "believe" with an implant tooth/root must be extracted so "size of the root" would not be a consideration?

Friends that have had implants simply had "bad tooth" extracted and titanium post/stud was "screwed" into the bone in area where tooth previously existed and after healing a crown simply screwed onto post