Banco Popular de Puerto Rico

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If I am not mistaken, there is a Banco Popular in New York City that has a tie to Banco Popular here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No close tie between US and Dominican banks

If I am not mistaken, there is a Banco Popular in New York City that has a tie to Banco Popular here.

The tie between any bank in the US and Puerto Rico ( such as Banco Popular) or Canada (such as Scotia Bank) and one in the DR is a loose one at best. They are separately incorporated entities run with different regulations even if they have the same name.

For example, if you want to transfer money from a Banco Popular account in New York to Banco Popular Dominicana in the DR you will be doing a wire transfer just like from any other US bank to any other bank in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The lack of a solid connection is basically accurate.

When I was arranging banking here in RD at ScotiaBank, I had my Cdn branch give me a letter if introduction which was helpful.
They also gave me contact names so that my meetings were pre-arranged instead of walking in cold.

I found it all very easy with the introductions and planned schedule. They arranged for an English speaking representative to meet with me.

Yes, the wiring of funds is arm's length-so to speak- but the interaction between related companies makes problem solving easier.

Arranging mortgage - if needed - can be done by the Cdn bank assisting by providing necessary backup info to the RD counterpart
WW

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

Nope. Banco Popular in NY is BPPR(BP de Puerto Rico). Not the same company at all.

vacadoug

Feb 10, 2005
Living in SD five years, found it very useful to have a US account with BPD in New York linked to BPR account in SD. BPDBANK
Great customer service -- friendly people; having this connection with a chartered, FDIC insured US bank helped me escape many of the problems of a US citizen banking with BPR in the DR -- especially after Citi exited the Carribean. Citi does retain two business centers -- one in Santo Domingo (Romulo Betencourt #333) and Santiago (Bartolome Colon) but these are 'business centers' with no external ATM's.

Scotia Bank is part of Bank of America's 'Global Alliance' so you can use their ATM's free of charge as a B/A customer in DR and PR if you have a B/A ATM Card.