Dominican Republic Apostille and Translation?

siwa

Mar 9, 2011
I was reading the forum and it say that DR is an apostille country. In my state it is not. Long story short, the process is rather tedious and can be frustrating. I needed some documents apostille and also translated. I found a place that does both, but it cost some money.

They took care of the translation and legalizing the documents. All I had to do was wait for the FedEx to arrive at the door.

Last edited by a moderator:

georgig

Jul 25, 2010
There is a Hague Convention for Apostiles. DR have joined this convention and all members countries accept Dominican apostile. Check if your country is a member of the Hague Convention. If not, don't loose money on any agency, promissing to do the job.

siwa

Mar 9, 2011
They're in the process of joining from what I was told by a state worker. I checked already with the state. So in the mean time I had to do the additional steps to get it legalized. I had to do additional steps and I need it in a hurry. The agency got it to me in a few days with all the steps require - expedited process, as I had to meet deadlines.

From where I live it wasn't convenient for me to do by myself. It's somewhat a headache to do by myself, so I just had an agency take care of it. It's like paying the landscaper to mow my lawn or have someone to wash my car, easier to pay someone. Plus, I had to get it certified translated, so obviously I can't do that.

There is a Hague Convention for Apostiles. DR have joined this convention and all members countries accept Dominican apostile. Check if your country is a member of the Hague Convention. If not, don't loose money on any agency, promissing to do the job.

bhaight

Feb 18, 2011
Hey guys, I feel like this could be a stupid question, but after looking on the net for about 10 minutes, I couldn't find a response. How do I know if my birth cert. was apostilled? I sent it to the dominican consulate in Los Angeles and they sent it back translated and with a stamp. Is that it? Thanks a lot guys.

sush

Mar 9, 2011
Hey guys, I feel like this could be a stupid question, but after looking on the net for about 10 minutes, I couldn't find a response. How do I know if my birth cert. was apostilled? I sent it to the dominican consulate in Los Angeles and they sent it back translated and with a stamp. Is that it? Thanks a lot guys.

i made apostille for my marriage cert and it is just an stamp -on mine is in the back- it is colorfull and it looks like a visa or some stamp like that, it is not like simple ink in the paper....like a well made sticker hehe. but yes it is more the trouble; i think it is different depending on where you getting it i looked in the internet on how mine shouls've look and it came the same. hope it helps

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004

I needed the same. I first received my certified birth certificate from the state of CA and then had to turn around and sent it back to the California Secretary of State for the apsotille. I personally think the process stinks but I just told everybody that the DR needed me to certify my certified birth certificate, which is basically what it amounts to. Of course after that I had to send them both to a Dominican Consulate to get it translated and certified (certified 3 times now). Of course I'll probably need 3 certified copies for the DR.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Typical

I needed the same. I first received my certified birth certificate from the state of CA and then had to turn around and sent it back to the California Secretary of State for the apsotille. I personally think the process stinks but I just told everybody that the DR needed me to certify my certified birth certificate, which is basically what it amounts to. Of course after that I had to send them both to a Dominican Consulate to get it translated and certified (certified 3 times now). Of course I'll probably need 3 certified copies for the DR.

OK, so now I sent my Birth Certificate and Apsotille to the DR Consulate in New Orleans, since my current place of residence is in their jurisdiction, and received the response that since I was born in CA I would have to send my paperwork to the Consulate in CA to have them translated and certified. Hmmm....perfect logic, instead of sending one state over now I have to send five states over even though I haven't been to California in 25 years. Oh, and New Orleans quoted me $30 for the job and CA quoted me $140. Unfortunately, for all, I find this type of logic prevalent in the culture and after living in the DR for years I also find it very typical.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
OK, so now I sent my Birth Certificate and Apsotille to the DR Consulate in New Orleans, since my current place of residence is in their jurisdiction, and received the response that since I was born in CA I would have to send my paperwork to the Consulate in CA to have them translated and certified. Hmmm....perfect logic, instead of sending one state over now I have to send five states over even though I haven't been to California in 25 years. Oh, and New Orleans quoted me $30 for the job and CA quoted me $140. Unfortunately, for all, I find this type of logic prevalent in the culture and after living in the DR for years I also find it very typical.

Sorry to hijack the thread...I was just a little ticked off and needed to vent.