I narrowed down my search to buy to three areas.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
But I came across this video today and the little spanish I know doesn't allow me to decipher these videos I found on YouTube.
My first choice is/was Playa Nueva Romana(Grupo Pineros Project), but there seems to be some controversy with 'contracts' or maybe its land 'titles'?
Something about 'magic blue'? If anyone has 5 minutes to scan these 3videos and lay a little feedback on me would be greatly appreciated.
The only thing I know about Magic Blue is from the movie with Denzel Washington, and this isnt it, lol.
Thanks and here is the link.

YouTube - alicia ortega.playa nueva romana.parte 1.ago.16.2010.mpg

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Doesnt anyone speak spanish or can get the jist of the video? Im patient.
To bad there is no 'verbal translator' on GOOGLE... Thanks.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I listened to some of it. The land was owned by the sugar company, president sold it, some squatters (possibly title holders) object, company feels title issues are simply a formality. They've also been doing damage to the manglars and other environmental no-no, so they were told to stop construction. Lots of money has changed hands.

Suggestion: repost with the project's name in the title, there are probably people that know about the project and can share what they know.

Personally, I'd stay away from it, but don't know more than I saw in the video.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
hint: if you cant understand what they are saying there is the greatest incentive NOT to buy it.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Thanks La Rubia, its a huge project its not a hit and run, "Playa Nueva Romana" (Bahia). I appreciate that you deciphered the video.. Its most likely a question for my Lawyer..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Thanks La Rubia, its a huge project its not a hit and run, "Playa Nueva Romana" (Bahia). I appreciate that you deciphered the video.. Its most likely a question for my Lawyer..

what they are saying is that the company which says that they bought the land has burned the peasant\s houses and tried to get them off the land. The people that you see on the video are saying that they have owned the land for up to forty years.. They have brought a case of fraud against the company.

Just a hint.. you do not want to see a story about your future home covered by either Alicia Ortega or Nuria or Huchi Lora who are all TOP investigative journalists in this country and go about denouncing frauds in one place or another

Very little of the project has been built

I doubt that it ever will be...

And, of course, one does not know WHO your lawyer is... Do you?

There are places that you can buy here which are solid and sound investments.

finding them is an art form

and, as Racer said.. if you cannot even decipher the video

WHAT are you thinking?

much of the construction here is built with money from drug laundering
MEDIA-DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: A Bad Case of Quid Pro Quo - IPS ipsnews.net see sidebar

the way to do it.... the smart way.. is to come down here, live here, renting for a year... then buy because you know and love the place...

or.

if you just have sooo much money lying around that you need to invest in a place find a really good, solid old place like Colibri in Las Terrenas where they will rent it out for you...

This is a beautiful place to live. Lots of us love it here. And I do not want to discourage you from coming here to live.. or from even investing your money here..

BUT you have to be really really careful.....

Juan_J

Mar 6, 2011
I didn't watch all the videos, but enough to get the general idea. In a nutshell:

-Magic Blue is the name of the company promoting and selling the project, and it is mentioned the company's money comes from Spaniard investors.

-The project started on 2008 with the promise of converting 5 million square meters into a paradise. So far only 1 million square meters have been developed and the project looks stalled.

-The main reason for the non-development is the legal status of the land. Apparently Magic "bough" the land from the CEA -a near defunct government agency- and a lot of local townspeople have pending lawsuits claiming those lands belong to them since some 40 years.

My overall advice... stay away. Find a project that is already more completed.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Wow! I just wrote a humongous post and somehow I deleted it before I pressed reply.

Thanks so much Mountainannie, what a great post, great feedback, so good, I printed it, for reminder. And thank you too juan.
I certainly wasn't going to just buy an apartment without my Lawyer, the best one in the DR as far as im concerned have a look. I totally agree rent for a year first, get to know the areas and then decide. I just got back from 3 weeks in the DR, and the last week Ive had 'buying fever'.. I just sold a house in Canada and have a few bucks to play with, But I dont want to lose them either. Cheers!

Reactions: mountainannie

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I just found this after doing some more searching and was also in DR1 news back in August 2010..

Buy for US$10. 50, sell for US$1000
Story Text & Photos ? 2010 by DR1 Aug 18 2010 03:59AM

DR1 - TV investigative journalist Alicia Ortega reports that Playa Nueva Romana, owned by the same company as the Bahia Principe resorts, acquired the 5. 3 million square meter lot from the State Sugar Council without the deal passing through Congress, as established by law. Reported, Magic Blue purchased the property during the administration of former La Romana senator Enrique Martinez at the helm of the CEA on 11 July 2007. The purchase would have been for US$10. 50 per square meter. Today, the company is selling the land for US$150 to US$1,000 per square meter. As reported by Alicia Ortega on the Monday, 16 August TV show, Magic Blue purchased the properties based on land titles that the Institute of Forensic Sciences (Inacif) certifies as incompatible with the originals. She presented legal cases against the company by the original occupants of the property. They were presented to company owners Pablo Pinero and Rafael Lopez, both Spanish nationals. They are accused of forgery, fraud and use of fake government documents. The Environment Ministry has levied three penalties for RD$11 million on the company for illegal removal of vegetation, cutting down trees, and removing mangroves. Faustino Duarte, a lawyer representing Magic Blue, said that President Leonel Fernandez had authorized the director of the CEA in the name of the state to represent the Porvenir Sugar Mill in the sale and transfer of the property to the real estate and tourism company.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Can you say : "Not with a 10 foot pole!!!" ?????

You got money> Punta Cana...Cabarete...places with clear land titles and nobody talking about Alicia Ortega or Leonel or absolutely ANYTHING to do with the government!!

Now, if you are from Newfoundland, I have got a great deal for you. I can only offer to you if you are a Newfie!! It is for 5000 sq. mts. on the water in Santo Domingo. A place called Hostos Park, an exclusive area just opened to investors by Mayor Roberto Salcedo...Roberto is my second cousin twice removed and he owes me a favor. We can get you this property for about Cdn$450,000, and its a 'steal'.

Hey, let me know, okay, I mean if you are a Newfie!! Anything I can do for a Newfie...

HB

Reactions: mountainannie
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Can you say : "Not with a 10 foot pole!!!" ?????

You got money> Punta Cana...Cabarete...places with clear land titles and nobody talking about Alicia Ortega or Leonel or absolutely ANYTHING to do with the government!!

Now, if you are from Newfoundland, I have got a great deal for you. I can only offer to you if you are a Newfie!! It is for 5000 sq. mts. on the water in Santo Domingo. A place called Hostos Park, an exclusive area just opened to investors by Mayor Roberto Salcedo...Roberto is my second cousin twice removed and he owes me a favor. We can get you this property for about Cdn$450,000, and its a 'steal'.

Hey, let me know, okay, I mean if you are a Newfie!! Anything I can do for a Newfie...
HB

HB, shame on you picking on those poor newfies;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just could not resist the temptation. Sorry to my many friends from Canada...

Do you ever get the feeling that there are people out there that want to resolve everything over the internet? And then are not happy with the answers they get?

Anyway, the operative word for ANYTHING you do in the DR is : SLOW!!

HB

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Sorry Hilly, the names tucker not sucker, and I'm not from the 'rock'...
Besides I got Christoph Seiger as my lawyer, we go way back..
How many forgot to check if your condo was 100amp, and copper wire?
I keep hearing stories of 50amp as the standard, I couldn't accept that..
The reason I never bought in Punta Cana 4 years ago, I couldn't find a home depot and do my own repairs and moderation's... that really sux..
Having said all this, I really wish I was where you are right now enjoying the sunshine!
Cheers!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I just could not resist the temptation. Sorry to my many friends from Canada...

Do you ever get the feeling that there are people out there that want to resolve everything over the internet? And then are not happy with the answers they get?

Anyway, the operative word for ANYTHING you do in the DR is : SLOW!!

HB

Um Hilly, where did you read anywhere in my post I wanted to resolve everything over the Internet? I simply asked for some feedback in deciphering Spanish videos. You can apologize to me later after I drop something in your beer when I get down there again.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Um Hilly, where did you read anywhere in my post I wanted to resolve everything over the Internet? I simply asked for some feedback in deciphering Spanish videos. You can apologize to me later after I drop something in your beer when I get down there again.

ok Contago, you are new here

and probably do not understand that Hillbilly is our premier poster, our longest expat resident, our treasured papi

and if you even threaten to drop something in his beer

you will not find any more help on this board

we are not many here, those who live here
and HB has lived here for 40 years

so

R E S P E C T

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
ok Contago, you are new here

and probably do not understand that Hillbilly is our premier poster, our longest expat resident, our treasured papi

and if you even threaten to drop something in his beer

you will not find any more help on this board

we are not many here, those who live here
and HB has lived here for 40 years

so

R E S P E C T

Annie, I was making a joke, the 'wink' showed up on the top part of the quote, take a look, I guess I posted it wrong.. Having said that Hilly made some fairly rude comment toward me which was completely uncalled for, considering knowhere in my post 'was I unhappy with the answers I received'. apparently he 'couldn't resist' I guess if one has 14,000 posts that's supposed to be tolerated? I made a joke back at him, end of story.. And YES I Absolutely APPRECIATE DR1 and all of you expats for all of the knowledge you share with us 'wannabees'.. So peace!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Annie, I was making a joke, the 'wink' showed up on the top part of the quote, take a look, I guess I posted it wrong.. Having said that Hilly made some fairly rude comment toward me which was completely uncalled for, considering knowhere in my post 'was I unhappy with the answers I received'. apparently he 'couldn't resist' I guess if one has 14,000 posts that's supposed to be tolerated? I made a joke back at him, end of story.. And YES I Absolutely APPRECIATE DR1 and all of you expats for all of the knowledge you share with us 'wannabees'.. So peace!

ok

understand that we talk to one another here

lots of us have been here for years and we are a virtual community

even though we may never have met

so.. sometimes

we just need to joke a bit

and laugh a bit

and holler on

and sometimes that is perhaps at the expense of some newbie...

but if you just understand that we are like any family

and that we all make an effort here to give new posters

tourists, potential expats, whatever

the best advice that we can.... when really,,, we probably should be doing something that is either more fun or more lucrative

so watch the rep points and the years served and the number of postings

and address the poster accordingly

then
we can all just get along

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
ok

understand that we talk to one another here

lots of us have been here for years and we are a virtual community

even though we may never have met

so.. sometimes

we just need to joke a bit

and laugh a bit

and holler on

and sometimes that is perhaps at the expense of some newbie...

but if you just understand that we are like any family

and that we all make an effort here to give new posters

tourists, potential expats, whatever

the best advice that we can.... when really,,, we probably should be doing something that is either more fun or more lucrative

so watch the rep points and the years served and the number of postings

and address the poster accordingly

then
we can all just get along

Annie, you are a poet, honestly you write very well.. I hear what you are saying. I didn't realize the guy was an older dude.. (add wink)...