Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Anyone know average cost for wood floors?

Hola all you experienced homebuilders out there-- I'd like to install wood or "pergo" flooring in a small (60 mtr2) apartment-- I need to know average mtr2cost and suggestions on where to purchase it-- I doubt there's a "Lumber Liquidators" in the DR!?!
    Thanks-
    Susan

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

these laminate or "floating" floors are good for some areas and not so good for others. the bulk of the material is is composite and does not do well for wet or humid places (the wood look is just a very thin layer of veneer on the top) i have seen this stuff when in a wet area buckle up and come apart at the seams. if this type of floor is what you want it would be much better IMO to go with a floating bamboo floor, which resists humidity and moisture much better. it is actually all bamboo instead of the composite stuff the pergo type is made of. look at a lumber liquidator website to get an idea of the cost difference and for the small increase in price you would have a much better floor and be doing mother nature a favor as well, bamboo grows like a weed and is ecologically friendly ben

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone here have experience with wood floors? My instincts would be to avoid them since the cleaning methods here involves tons of water and tons of cholorox.. and I cannot imagine wood standing up to that. I have had great wood floors in the US,, solid oak, solid pine.. but then they either had to be painted.. which sort of ruins the look. or waxed or covered in polyurethene.. neither one of which stands up to the water.

the bamboo sounds interesting but if it is not sealed, would it not absorb the water?

I have seen some high end wood floor places here in the Capital.. gorgeous South American wood.. very expensive.. but looks great in those penthouses in Naco...

but tile is the way most of the places here go.. easy to install. easy to clean

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susan77 View Post
    Hola all you experienced homebuilders out there-- I'd like to install wood or "pergo" flooring in a small (60 mtr2) apartment-- I need to know average mtr2cost and suggestions on where to purchase it-- I doubt there's a "Lumber Liquidators" in the DR!?!
    Thanks-
    Susan
    In Santo Domingo we have 2-3 huge lumber yards, stocking a wide variety of wood.

As has already been stated, I would avoid wood floors here, it's not popular and very few people know how to install them properly.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not even consider a wood floor in this country.
    They are not practical here.
    Best of luck to you if you go with wood.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    Does anyone here have experience with wood floors? My instincts would be to avoid them since the cleaning methods here involves tons of water and tons of cholorox.. and I cannot imagine wood standing up to that. I have had great wood floors in the US,, solid oak, solid pine.. but then they either had to be painted.. which sort of ruins the look. or waxed or covered in polyurethene.. neither one of which stands up to the water.

the bamboo sounds interesting but if it is not sealed, would it not absorb the water?

I have seen some high end wood floor places here in the Capital.. gorgeous South American wood.. very expensive.. but looks great in those penthouses in Naco...

but tile is the way most of the places here go.. easy to install. easy to clean
    agree here 100% also if you damage a tile you can replace it without much trouble and if the place is a rental then heavy suitcases get dragged across it the place we stayed at punta bonita had gorgeous brazillian redwood floors and you could see the scratches from this very thing. and very expensive too. i mentioned the bamboo because it is fairly inexpensive and enviromentally friendly. it is actually three plys of bamboo and the finish on it is fairly good from the factory but another coat or two to seal it better is a good idea. and do not clean your wood floors(if you happen to have any in the future) with clorox!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Tile baby tile! Nice to walk on, feels cool even in the heat of a DR summer.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

my sister in law (an architect) says it comes to about twice as much as nice expensive tiles.
    like others i do recommend it. you'd have to be very rich to be able to buy, put and maintain wooden floors.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for these VERY helpful posts!
    Ben wrote:
    the place we stayed at punta bonita had gorgeous brazillian redwood floors and you could see the scratches
    If that is John +Christy's house, then those are the same floors that I want!

Tile is definitely more practical and mas barata, but I love the look of wood!!
    Susan

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast